Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

ValueTrader

High / Low of a Given Period

I'm having difficulty attempting to code a simple show-me study.

I'm Looking for the high / low of a period to be ploted.

if the period is eg 30 min, i need it to start at the top of the hour and end half past, then start again for the next 30mins.

I tried this...on 2 min bars...

if time > 1429 then begin
plot1(highest(high,15))
plot2(lowest(low,15))

end

but this gives me a running high and low with no freference to period boundrys, and will give me a high / low from 1445 to 1515. Whereas i need the study to show me the high and low of each 30min period.

Does anyone also know a function that deletes the old high / low and plots the new one?

as if new highs are being made during a run up i've ended up with a run of dots / lines.

Thanks

Valuetrader

I'm having difficulty attempting to code a simple show-me study.

I'm Looking for the high / low of a period to be ploted.

if the period is eg 30 min, i need it to start at the top of the hour and end half past, then start again for the next 30mins.

I tried this...on 2 min bars...

if time > 1429 then begin
plot1(highest(high,15))
plot2(lowest(low,15))

end

but this gives me a running high and low with no freference to period boundrys, and will give me a high / low from 1445 to 1515. Whereas i need the study to show me the high and low of each 30min period.

Does anyone also know a function that deletes the old high / low and plots the new one?

as if new highs are being made during a run up i've ended up with a run of dots / lines.

Thanks

Valuetrader

can you post a mock up diagram? with notes on the specifics you are looking for?

Edited by Tams

You need something like :-

Input:
iStartTime (0800),
ResetMinutes (60);

var: ll(0),hh,(0);

if mod( (TimeToMinutes(time)-TimeToMinutes(iStartTime)), TimeToMinutes(ResetMinutes) ) = 0 then	
begin // reset highest high lowest low
	hh = high;
	ll = low;
end;
if high > hh then hh = high;
if low < ll then ll = low;

plot hh & ll here

typed straight into the forum so may have errors but the principle is sound. Be aware that hh & ll are unstable right at the start of the chart until a 60 min boundary or 8.00 comes round, easily fixed by checking for the first bar and running the 'reset' portion of code. (or just load a few days data and you wont even notice).

This looks like just the job, thanks BF. Tams, was about to post my diagrams when BF posted the solution, but thanks for the offer of help. Also, where can I find more litriture on EL? I currently have 'getting started' and a reference of reserved words. I did a search of these pdfs, but found nothing relating to time as shown in BF's code. Thanks

Edited by ValueTrader
Added question

This looks like just the job, thanks BF. Tams, was about to post my diagrams when BF posted the solution, but thanks for the offer of help. Also, where can I find more litriture on EL? I currently have 'getting started' and a reference of reserved words. I did a search of these pdfs, but found nothing relating to time as shown in BF's code. Thanks

Lots of useful info here:

Documentation

Figuring out other peoples code is a great way too, chances are someone has done it (or done similar) before when it comes to EL. Tackling little projects (as you have) is probably as good a way as any too.

Oh I should mention that there was probably an ulterior motive in Tams original advice :) The act of setting out exactly want you want to do will often give clues for a solution to you. If it is more complicated break things down into smaller manageable chunks. Maybe I should not have dived in quite so quickly!