Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

Trading Products and Services Section for discussing trading-related products and services.

Like Tree8Likes
Old 03-11-2012, 12:05 PM   #17

Ignore this user

Re: Tradestation Vs Multicharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smmatrix »
About three years ago, I considered a move to MultiCharts from tradestation. Worse experiment I ever made. What a huge gigantic failure. First off, only about 25% of my custom indicators imported. Those with functions had a 100% failure rate, and those without functions was a crap shoot with about 50/50 probability of successful transfer.

I kept on trying to work with MultiCharts, but was sorely disappointed in multiple ways. The screen graphics and GUI totally sucked. Other problems arose, but I finally threw in the towel after trying to make it work for about a month.

I also resisted the move to Tradestion 9, but glad I finally made the move. Like the other posts pointed out, multithreading has greatly improved. It's fast and stable. I'm running several hundred charts at the same time so I notice these things. I've been with tradestation since the late 80's and we always stayed one or two releases behind the latest for stability.

Anyway, I'm very happy with tradestation 9. It has a few quarks, but easily over looked or ignored. tradestation has always had lots of modules, optionstation, radarscreen, etc etc, so I don't understand your beef at this point with all the extras.

IMHO, tradestation will always be the superior platform... by far!!
Thanks, smmatrix,
Now this is news I can use. Sadly, I was hoping to make the move to Multicharts seamlessly, but now I'll have to investigate Multicharts more carefully. Drat it, but thanks for the heads up.
With all the negative feedback I've heard about tradestation from my trader friends who are users (and mostly former users), I am extremely surprised by the positive comments that we've seen in this thread. Almost makes me wonder if the glowing reviews aren't being posted by TS employees or moles within Traders Lab. Sorry guys if this sounds offensive, but honestly, in my 13+ years of trading I have never heard so many people praise tradestation so unequivocally. Just a bit odd, and it makes me scratch my head in wonder.
Tasuki
4EverMaAT likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tasuki For This Useful Post:
Iamniwo1 (03-12-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #18

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasuki »
Thanks, smmatrix,
...Sorry guys if this sounds offensive, but honestly, in my 13+ years of trading I have never heard so many people praise tradestation so unequivocally. Just a bit odd, and it makes me scratch my head in wonder.
Tasuki
It is not unusual for people who cannot turn a profit (losers) to find anything but themselves as the underlying reason for their problems.

And I'm sure I'll get blasted for this statement, but the undeniable fact is that 90% of ALL traders lose, 5% break even, and 5% make money. That includes everyone on this board...you know who you are.

I used to be a loser and would try to blame everything other than my own ignorance, lack of preparation, no quantifiable or definable edge, and poor discipline. So I speak from experience.
The Following User Says Thank You to appleinvestor For This Useful Post:
Iamniwo1 (03-12-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #19

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasuki »
Thanks, smmatrix,
Now this is news I can use. Sadly, I was hoping to make the move to Multicharts seamlessly, but now I'll have to investigate Multicharts more carefully. Drat it, but thanks for the heads up.
With all the negative feedback I've heard about tradestation from my trader friends who are users (and mostly former users), I am extremely surprised by the positive comments that we've seen in this thread. Almost makes me wonder if the glowing reviews aren't being posted by TS employees or moles within Traders Lab. Sorry guys if this sounds offensive, but honestly, in my 13+ years of trading I have never heard so many people praise tradestation so unequivocally. Just a bit odd, and it makes me scratch my head in wonder.
Tasuki
Seriously, tradestation is a superior platform. Personally, I have never liked their brokerage and that may be the complaints you're hearing, because I have never heard anyone complain about tradestation charting. I have seen and used other platforms such as eSignal, thinkorswim, Multicharts, Sierra Charts and none of those hold a candle Tradestations abilities. For example, when I write a new indicator, I often write a a script with it and test probabilities over 10 years of 1-min candles. I believe that is about 11 million total candles. What other platform will allow me to write, test my code to this degree? I'm a statistical trader, so these numbers are important for the way I trade.

But, besides backtesting capability, just the look and feel of the tradestation platform really feels like real trading to me. I'm sorry, but that other stuff, java based charts seems toy'ish to me, but this is probably because I've used the platform since 1989.

Regarding tradestation moles, I don't think you'll find any here. LOL. tradestation does not allow any of its sales reps to work the forums.

Best of trading success to you!
The Following User Says Thank You to smmatrix For This Useful Post:
Iamniwo1 (03-12-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 01:06 PM   #20

Ignore this user

Quote:
Seriously, tradestation is a superior platform. Personally, I have never liked their brokerage and that may be the complaints you're hearing, because I have never heard anyone complain about tradestation charting. I have seen and used other platforms such as eSignal, thinkorswim, Multicharts, Sierra Charts and none of those hold a candle Tradestations abilities...
Best of trading success to you!
I too am a statistical trader, using a mean reversion strategy trading futures with Statistical Arbitrage, and I have also tried the same platform as you. I'm compelled to support the other platforms, like Sierra Charts, and ToS, because members of my Trade Room have committed to their platform. But the support I can offer is limited due to the inferior charting and indicator support compared to TS.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #21

Ignore this user

I run both TS and MC, as well as a few other platforms. I was a user of TS since the very early days of the 1990's.

MC is much, much faster than TS in Optimisation. TS has historical data, MC needs 3rd party historical data. The newest 64bit MC allows almost unlimited ticks historically. The amount of RAM you have is your limit. I get load failures on TS with complex strategies and trying to optimise over lots of tick data.

I predominantly use MC for my trading.

Each has pluses and minuses so choosing what features are dealbrakers for you will help your choice.

EL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electroniclocal For This Useful Post:
Iamniwo1 (03-12-2012), Tasuki (03-28-2013)
Old 03-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #22

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroniclocal »
MC is much, much faster than TS in Optimisation. TS has historical data, MC needs 3rd party historical data. The newest 64bit MC allows almost unlimited ticks historically. The amount of RAM you have is your limit. I get load failures on TS with complex strategies and trying to optimise over lots of tick data.
EL
As I said earlier, you need to have the proper equipment for the job. My minimum workstation has 16 cores (Westmere processor), 16 GB of RAM and 512 GB SSD drives, with 2 terabyte RAID backup. My top end system has 24 virtual cores, liquid cooled, 32 GB RAM SSD and large RAID drives connected via Thunderbolt.

By the way, I'm all Macintosh and run tradestation on Windows 7 using both Parallels and VM Ware. I also do parallel processing with XGrid and can create a compute environment (essentially a supercomputer) with as much resources as I need for specialty tasks.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:34 PM   #23

Ignore this user

Quote:
Seriously, tradestation is a superior platform. Personally, I have never liked their brokerage and that may be the complaints you're hearing, because I have never heard anyone complain about tradestation charting. I have seen and used other platforms such as eSignal, thinkorswim, Multicharts, Sierra Charts and none of those hold a candle Tradestations abilities. Best of trading success to you!
smmatrix,
While I'm not familiar with Multicharts, the other charting packages you mentioned are just about the bottom of the barrel. No surprise that TS is better. However, had you tried Ninjatrader, Ensign, Neoticker, Realtick, or InvestorRT, you might have had a better experience. In all those cases, however, the move from TS would require a complete re-write of all my indicators, which is why I was inquiring in this thread about Multicharts.

If you're a stat trader, you should maybe check out Neoticker. It's not for people like me, but it might be right up your alley. If you listen to them, their backtesting totally beats the hell out of TS, but I can't speak from personal experience. But seriously, you should check out Neoticker.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tasuki For This Useful Post:
smmatrix (03-11-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #24

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by electroniclocal »
I run both TS and MC, as well as a few other platforms. I was a user of TS since the very early days of the 1990's.

I predominantly use MC for my trading.

Each has pluses and minuses so choosing what features are dealbrakers for you will help your choice.

EL
EL, Finally, somebody who likes MC steps up to the plate. Many thanks for your contribution to the thread. May I ask, what data feed do you recommend for Multicharts?Thanks again!
Tasuki

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: