Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

Trading Products and Services Section for discussing trading-related products and services.

Like Tree8Likes
Old 03-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #9

Ignore this user

Re: Tradestation Vs Multicharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesmith »
The latest version of tradestation uses all cores of a multi-core cpu. It's data transmission protocal has been totaly rewritten and it rocks.
Onesmith, if it's so good, how come their tech support is (according to them) inundated with crash reports on 9.1?
Old 03-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #10

Ignore this user

I don't have any information to answer your question in it's specfic sense as it relates to tradestation. My perception of the typical users hardware and software complaints, in general, and unrelated to tradestation ... is the typical person who needs tech support is either easily hepled and easily satisfied or there's no way they can ever be helped or ever be satisfied. And the loudest users are those that are dissatisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasuki »
Onesmith, if it's so good, how come their tech support is (according to them) inundated with crash reports on 9.1?
Old 03-10-2012, 01:58 AM   #11

Ignore this user

Thanked 1,663 Times in 1,010 Posts

Quote:
The latest version of tradestation uses all cores of a multi-core cpu.
according to their news release, the new TS version is multi-threaded, but not yet multi-cored.
The new multi-thread would make TS run a bit faster than the previous non-multi-thread version.

I might be wrong, after all, multi-core is not new, they should have this done a long time ago.

I know people have tested it side by side with MultiCharts, and it is still slower than MultiCharts.
You can take a screen shot of the taskmanager, it will show you whether TS is running multi-core or not.

Quote:
It's data transmission protocal has been totaly rewritten and it rocks.
Why would they want to do that ???? tradestation has the better data management system of all the charting software on the market.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tams For This Useful Post:
Iamniwo1 (03-12-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 03:36 AM   #12

Ignore this user

The new version is multi-cored.

The data transmission changes are seamless in that it didn't require any effort on my part because it functions the same as previous versions but I know it's an extensive change over what it was. It's awesome. My use of the word protocol wasn't intended to mean there were any changes in the manner in which users access data but rather in the technology that sends and receives the data.
The Following User Says Thank You to onesmith For This Useful Post:
georg7e (03-10-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 08:45 AM   #13

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasuki »
UB,

The problem with the newer versions of TS is that they try to be all things to all people. There's a stock scanner which I don't need, and an options platform I don't need, and a Forex platform I don't need, and even an order entry form I don't need [smart scalpers never use TS for order entry], and heaven knows what other crap they've tacked onto their already-massive program. With all of these "appendages" to their charting software, it's quite understandable that their charting software crashes alot. Admittedly, with 12 monitors, 15 workspaces, dozens of charts and more than a hundred indicators, I do push tradestation more than most people.

Tasuki
You are incorrect in your assessment. I am a far heavier user of tradestation than you are judging by your stated usage. And My Analysis Techniques usage tax TS to the limits. The key is the computing platform that you're using.

If you're truly serious about trading then you'll invest in the best possible platform. The new TS 9.1 takes advantage of it and is quite stable. My minimum system has 16 cores with 16 GB Ram, the fastest processor available with Solid State drives and RAID backup.

Admittedly TS 9.1 isn't all it could be, but it is a better charting and automated systems engine than anything else out there in its price class.
The Following User Says Thank You to appleinvestor For This Useful Post:
Iamniwo1 (03-12-2012)
Old 03-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #14

Ignore this user

Quote:
The new version is multi-cored.

The data transmission changes are seamless in that it didn't require any effort on my part because it functions the same as previous versions but I know it's an extensive change over what it was. It's awesome. My use of the word protocol wasn't intended to mean there were any changes in the manner in which users access data but rather in the technology that sends and receives the data.
Lets clarify this comment as it isn't 100% accurate.

tradestation's charts support multiple cores which allow the workload of each chart to be off loaded on to different cores in a round robin fashion.

...but where most people seem to be truly salivating for multicore functionality is in backtesting, and this currently is not multicore.

So if you are running 12 monitors and 15 workspaces like the guy that started this thread then the newer version of TS with multicore support probably is of some benefit.

But if you are looking to back test all kinds of wild concepts with your new 8 core, Overclocked, Liquid Nitrogen cooled system w/ it's 24GB of Ram & 1TB Raid 0 SSD configuration ...you may be disappointed to see 1 core pegged in your task manager and the other 7 floating around basically at idle.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #15

Ignore this user

Aston01, thank you for correcting that.

Tams, he's right about the backtesting still being limited to a single core.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston01 »
Lets clarify this comment as it isn't 100% accurate.

tradestation's charts support multiple cores which allow the workload of each chart to be off loaded on to different cores in a round robin fashion.

...but where most people seem to be truly salivating for multicore functionality is in backtesting, and this currently is not multicore.

So if you are running 12 monitors and 15 workspaces like the guy that started this thread then the newer version of TS with multicore support probably is of some benefit.

But if you are looking to back test all kinds of wild concepts with your new 8 core, Overclocked, Liquid Nitrogen cooled system w/ it's 24GB of Ram & 1TB Raid 0 SSD configuration ...you may be disappointed to see 1 core pegged in your task manager and the other 7 floating around basically at idle.
Old 03-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #16

Ignore this user

About three years ago, I considered a move to MultiCharts from tradestation. Worse experiment I ever made. What a huge gigantic failure. First off, only about 25% of my custom indicators imported. Those with functions had a 100% failure rate, and those without functions was a crap shoot with about 50/50 probability of successful transfer.

I kept on trying to work with MultiCharts, but was sorely disappointed in multiple ways. The screen graphics and GUI totally sucked. Other problems arose, but I finally threw in the towel after trying to make it work for about a month.

I also resisted the move to Tradestion 9, but glad I finally made the move. Like the other posts pointed out, multithreading has greatly improved. It's fast and stable. I'm running several hundred charts at the same time so I notice these things. I've been with tradestation since the late 80's and we always stayed one or two releases behind the latest for stability.

Anyway, I'm very happy with tradestation 9. It has a few quarks, but easily over looked or ignored. tradestation has always had lots of modules, optionstation, radarscreen, etc etc, so I don't understand your beef at this point with all the extras.

IMHO, tradestation will always be the superior platform... by far!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smmatrix For This Useful Post:
Iamniwo1 (03-12-2012), Tasuki (03-28-2013)

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: