Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TheBramble

Available Float

Most indices use 'Available Float' in their weighting calculations, especially within the S&P family of indices.

Available Float is generally considered to be that amount of stock which is available to 'the public'. Stock held by government agencies, public companies and control groups is NOT included within the 'available float' data.

I'd appreciate it if anyone could point me to where or how I could determine for any specific stock, how much the 'Available Float' represents at any given time as a percentage (or any other measure) of the total market capitalisation for that stock.

Apart form considering this a potentially useful piece of data in the area of Momentum (volume / float) analysis, it strikes me that in times of deep woe, the Available Float could potentially substantially increase - up to total market cap value in theory.

Hmmm I haven't heard of "available float" before. I'm pretty sure on our markets here all the available shares on offer are all publicly available. The government might own a majority of the shares in some companies (Qantas for example or Telstra in Australia) but these can be sold off at the discretion of the government direct to the public.

You can check with the listed company and its share registry to see exactly how many shares are on offer and who the top holders are. Each company when you purchase shares in it should have an accompaning share registry database which you can access. If you don't know you can always contact the exchange itself and ask for it because it should be publicly available information.

But once again, I'm pretty sure all the shares available in total should be available at the share registry and nothing should be kept from the public. However saying that different exchanges might have different levels of disclosure requirements!