Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

onesmith

Riddles

Can anyone define what leading indicator means? Or even define the word indicator?

Or what footprint means?

Has anyone had any success spending a ridiculous amount of time overthinking things such as this? Please help increase my vocabulary of words indicative of puzzles embedded within the market folklore. I thoroughly enjoy every moment spent in thought about these types of things.

Can anyone define what leading indicator means? Or even define the word indicator?

Or what footprint means?

Has anyone had any success spending a ridiculous amount of time overthinking things such as this? Please help increase my vocabulary of words indicative of puzzles embedded within the market folklore. I thoroughly enjoy every moment spent in thought about these types of things.

Hardly a dictionary definition, but . . .

A leading indicator is exactly the same as any other kind of indicator; what differs are the claims made by its advocates . . . Both types of indicator use the same data to derive their calculations, but a 'leading' indicator is supposed to be able to say something about future price (or whatever) behaviour, whereas a 'lagging' indicator is claimed only to say something about past price behaviour.

This is the reason why I am instantly turned off when people talk about price "finding support" at a moving average - pure nonsense!

BlueHorseshoe

Or what footprint means?

Leading indicators: retail sales, new business startups, stock market, manufacturing activity, inventory levels, unemployment numbers, building permits and starts.

footprint: Apple computer has a large market footprint. Probably a general term best taken in context.

If you enjoy thinking about such things how could it be a ridiculous amount of time... "ponder on dude".

indicator: something that might help in summarizing an activity in the hope of being able to anticipate some future possible future outcomes.

leading indicator: the one i promise will predict the future and I can charge more money for

predictive indicator: the super duper one that I can charge more money for, but is much the same as the first one.

Or what footprint means?

Footprint: How big a heel you will feel for believing the future can be predicted purely from an indicator, or;

How much of you trading equity will be stamped out by buying such an indicator.

for my mind the best every used is "overbought" and "oversold" - but i try not to think too hard about them.

Well I thought this was going to be an actual riddles thread! how disappointing!

Here's one anyway :)

What do we spend half of our life wanting to get rid of and half of our life trying to get back?

Prize for the winner :)