Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

hackeysack

Counterparty Risk-forex

Greetings everyone! The major banks here in Canada (TD,RBC,BMO,CIBC) dont allow online FOREX trading altho equities no problem. Questrade, Tradestation, Qtrade, etc. do altho the counterparty is GAIN CAPITAL which is US based. How safe (when trades are open) are my funds?

After the recent MFGlobal disaster, not safe at all.

In Canada your money might not even be protected under Canadian law if its is swept offshore and parked and rehypothecated in the UK.

All I can say is be aware of exactly how and where you money is parked and even then there are no guarantees.

A big thanks to you SIUYA. The usual guvmint regs apply here while in cash but i cant seem to find a canadian counterparty so as to not send money out of country. no-no imho. I imagine thats why our majors dont allow it at all. The equities markets here are so bloody boring....maybe a small forex account just for some "juice". In between small hold-em tourneys...all the best!

Well I thought I posted a thank you reply to you OBSIDIAN, but I guess it didnt go through while I was browsing OANDA. Interesting site. I think their practice account might be wise first.

You are welcome...you can also check this thread:

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/brokers-data-feeds/12868-total-number-active-us-forex-accounts.html

that can give you an idea about the number of accounts they hold (u.s accounts though)