Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Sign in to follow this  
Tradewinds

Trendline Programing, Tl_new

Trendlines can be automatically "drawn" on a chart with EasyLanguage. Controlling where a line ends, can be difficult. Starting a new line is fairly easy.

If there can be multiple signals intrabar to start one trendline and end another, the new trendline may be created, but the old trendline may not get ended. To deal with this issue, I use past bars and exclude the current bar from the signal. Plus I end the current line immediately on the first signal for the new line, before creating the new line.

var: Peak(False), Up(False), Down(False);
var: CurrentRzstnce(-1), OldRzstnce(-1) , OldRzstnceBegPrice (0);

Peak = Up[2] and Down[1];

{-- Ends the current Resistance Trend line if a new peak signal fires, then Starts a new Resistance Line ---}
If Peak Then 
Begin

//Immediately end the current resistance line in order to insure that the line gets stopped.
//End the current resistance line before starting the new one.
 If CurrentRzstnce <> -1 Then
 Begin 
 	Value1 = TL_GetBeginVal(CurrentRzstnce);
   Value2 = TL_SetExtRight(CurrentRzstnce, False); //Stop extending the current line to the right.
   Value3 = TL_SetEnd(CurrentRzstnce, D, T[2], Value1); //End the current line
 end;

OldRzstnce = CurrentRzstnce;

If OldRzstnce <> -1 Then
 Begin
   OldRzstnceBegPrice = TL_GetBeginVal(OldRzstnce);
 End;

// The Peak signal occured two bars ago, so the start point for the line is T[2] and the start
// Height is H[2].  The end price (height) is the same, this make the line horizontal.
// Value1 = TL_New(iBarDate, iBarTime, iPrice, eBarDate, eBarTime, ePrice)
CurrentRzstnce = tl_new(d, t[2], H[2], d, t, H[2]); // Create the new Resistance line

Value4 = TL_SetExtRight(CurrentRzstnce, True);
Value5 = TL_SetSize(CurrentRzstnce, 2);	
Value6 = TL_SetColor(CurrentRzstnce, Blue);

End;

I figured out a possible solution to a problem I was having. My trendlines were not being ended, and I could not figure out why. I'm still not sure exactly what is going on, but I'm a little closer to figuring it out. If I wait to extend the trend line until the bar AFTER the new trendline is created, then everything works fine. I think it has to do with the trendline being plotted backwards in time when it is created. As soon as the trendline is created, it's already 2 bars long. When I commented out the line to extend the trendline, my old trendlines were suddenly ending the way they should. (They were not extending, but at least I had made some progress.) So then I add a line of code to extend the trendline on the bar AFTER the signal. Again, the original trendline is already 2 bars long as soon as it's created, so waiting until the next bar to extend it isn't a problem.

//Do NOT extend the current line until the bar AFTER the peak signal!!
If Peak[1] and Peak=False then

I figured out a possible solution to a problem I was having. My trendlines were not being ended, and I could not figure out why. I'm still not sure exactly what is going on, but I'm a little closer to figuring it out. If I wait to extend the trend line until the bar AFTER the new trendline is created, then everything works fine. I think it has to do with the trendline being plotted backwards in time when it is created. As soon as the trendline is created, it's already 2 bars long. When I commented out the line to extend the trendline, my old trendlines were suddenly ending the way they should. (They were not extending, but at least I had made some progress.) So then I add a line of code to extend the trendline on the bar AFTER the signal. Again, the original trendline is already 2 bars long as soon as it's created, so waiting until the next bar to extend it isn't a problem.

//Do NOT extend the current line until the bar AFTER the peak signal!!
If Peak[1] and Peak=False then

do you have a diagram to illustrate?