Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

carltonp

IB and Times and Sales

Hello Traders,

I think its common knowledge that IB's Times and Sales date is very unreliable and inaccurate due to IB aggregating its data.

However, having said that isn't there some value in the length of time that a price pauses and the number of bids / asks that takes place during the pause?

Let me give you an example. Yesterday at 3:21:39 to 3:21:59 EST the price for YM stagnated at 10793 for 20 seconds.

Now, some of you might say there could have been a problem with my connection or IB just screwed up. However, I recorded the Time and Sales at that time and recorded that at least 10 transactions took place between Bid/Ask (I will submit a snapshot if you're interested).

My question to the forum is this. Even though IB's T&S may be inadequate isn't there some value in observing that for 20 seconds the price paused while there were a number of bid/ask occurring?

After the pause the price did the following... 10790, 10791, 10792, 10796, 10795, paused again at 10793, this time for 8 seconds (3:22:13 to 3:22:21) and then did the following 10796 and never stopped going up way beyond 10809.

OK, I'm going to be totally straight with you ..... I don't want to pay a realtime data-provider close to £150 just for time and sales data! I thought I would get that out there as I'm sure some of you will say why don't I sign up to Esignal or IQFeed.

I made a few calls here in the UK and they can't/won't provide just the datafeed for YM without all the bells and whistles which bumps up the price.

IB, provides T&S but its not accurate, but I'm trying to gauge if there are ways that it can be utilised.

You're comments will be well recieved.

Cheers

Carlton

Traders,

I don't get it. Here we have IB posting a number of Bid with their corresponding Bid Sizes, which are overwhelming the the buyers at the ask but the price still skyrockets up....

(If though this statement appears unrelated to my original question, it all the same makes me think that IB's T&S is crap)

5aa710a38f521_13-09-20111-21-50PM.png.6258b94a388f67c9007be965e06304c2.png

I don't get it. Here we have IB posting a number of Bid with their corresponding Bid Sizes, which are overwhelming the the buyers at the ask but the price still skyrockets up....

How comes that you suppose that price going up or down is connected to the inside bid/ask size?

(If though this statement appears unrelated to my original question, it all the same makes me think that IB's T&S is crap)

Obviously the phenomenon observed says nothing about the quality of a feed.

It is something that can be seen quite frequently.