Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

$5DAW

Internal Motherboard Speaker

Ensign charting software uses the computer's internal motherboard speaker to emit a single beep each time the price moves 1 tick. I have used this software for several years and became accustom to this audible signal of price movement, so when I chose the motherboard for my new trading computer I made sure it had a pin header to connect that little speaker. When I boot my computer I hear a single beep and and when I check the beep.sys in/under devices, windows says "it's working properly."

The problem is it AIN'T "beeping" in my Ensign program (and I'm suffering withdraws). I have no other programs that utilize this speaker so trouble shooting has been exhausting. I'm running windows 7 Pro (64 bit) my old box was XP Pro 32 bit (no issues). Any suggestions ??? I've emailed Ensign (to soon for a reply) and spoke with the Mobo tech (they said, "it should work") I'm thinking the issue is in windows 7 pro (64). Anybody running Ensign with Win 7 pro (64) and GETTING the beep ???

I'm still searching for a fix to my little beep issue. Ensign Software appears to have blown me off, (two emails - NO replies) but I'll email again and give them the benefit of doubt. I did come across this link, so I know I'm not alone in my search for a cure.

What's up with the Beep driver in Window 7

I'm surprised nobody here in the Traders Laboratory uses this combination of software, Ensign and Windows 7.

Please, if you do, and you get the "beep" post a simple YES.

All hope is gone. :( I got the following reply from Ensign.

Hi,

I am sorry you did not get the appropriate answer sooner. I have trained my staff on this matter in the past, but perhaps they forget the details of the answer.

The Beep feature in Ensign Windows was based on a Windows API call to a sound function where we could pass the frequency parameter and a duration parameter.

This would play the sound through the little speaker. Starting with Windows platforms around Windows XP and later, ie Windows 7, the API function was removed and no longer available. The article you sent in your other email documents that change in the Window operating systems quite well. Thus the functionality going away is a result of the operating system and not a result of any change in Ensign Windows. I have looked hard in the past for a work around and not found one.

Thus, I am sorry to say, the Beep feature will not be available in the newer operating systems. Yes there is a Windows Beep, but not the sound API call where we could play a frequency for a duration. Since this is due to operating system changes, we are choosing to eliminate offering the Beep check box on the chart property forms in the redesigned Ensign program called Ensign 10. This will keep users from having the hint of a feature that is most likely unavailable because most users will be on newer operating systems as time passes.

Sincerely, Howard Arrington

Ensign Software, Inc.

sorry to hear that...

I thought it was a simple enough problem that can be fixed with little effort.

I have no horse in this race, but seriously,

come on Ensign, this is not rocket science, how difficult can a little beep be?