Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

kinkeadfx

E-mini Russell 2000

9:30am to 4:00pm, Eastern U.S. time. There is no liquidity after hours (unlike the ES). Sometimes, an economic report comes out at 8:30am, which will bring in some volume.

I have found the best volatility from 9:30am EST - 12:30pm EST. The opening couple of minutes can be a bit volatile so you may need to consider that but after that initial flurry this set of 3 hours I have found best for daytrading.

Afternoon is more hit and miss.

MMS

Come on people help each other help this guy ........ok i help him little 9:30 best time to trade if market near to any Pivot Point market go that way its work 95% no joke if you guys cannot help each other stop this think come to this side and talk like kid don’t make people fool help them

wait for TF to complete a ten point move... then fade it

and enter in the direction of daily trend

During the opening bell, is there any directional movements, whipsaws or breakouts to catch any profit?

elovemer - have you found that to work in most market conditions? Maybe if you can provide a few stats on how it does over time that would be helpful to some here. I do see the top level view of it -- you're fading an overreaction against the trend -- which puts you back in the direction of the bigger momentum after that overreaction completes.

Would you consider this 10 points any 10 points that occurs including if it occurs over two days for example?

..in an uptrend, it works to the long side

.. in a downtrend, it works to the short side

during a swing turn, volatility may cause a 20 point move... this is where you can get stuck if playing a 10 point move

i am sorry i can't provide stats.

it may occur over two days... but it is not likely. it needs to occur starting from the last pivot on a 5 min chart.

last globex pivot was 773.5 ... turn was 782.4 trading hours

next pivot was 775.7 trading hours .... didn't make it to 785.7

only made it to 784.4

but those were both short signals in an uptrend

what you want is a long signal in an uptrend

the last long signal was on the 15th

since then only have gotten 50% retraces but no long signals

when comparing the ranges of ES and TF ... you may get two signals on ES during the time it takes to get one signal on TF

it is nice if they both complete move at the same time... because they reinforce each other

this is very simple... and so most people think this is BS. you have to just trade it yourself to get the feel for it.

ES 10 TF 10 YM 100 NQ 20

best signal would be where a signal completes during the first 30min of the day

on carryover from globex action or not

i don't know if i answered your question or not. i don't know what kind of market conditions you had in mind.

elovemer - have you found that to work in most market conditions? Maybe if you can provide a few stats on how it does over time that would be helpful to some here. I do see the top level view of it -- you're fading an overreaction against the trend -- which puts you back in the direction of the bigger momentum after that overreaction completes.

Would you consider this 10 points any 10 points that occurs including if it occurs over two days for example?

Great thanks for making the effort to document that. It's great.

I'm with you on the simplicity. I actually feel in trading there is great power in simplicity.

People think the more indicators you layer on top of each other that somehow you have a more complex and effective system. You don't.

I think your approach clearly has merit.

MMS

What is the best time to trade the emini russell 2000 futures?

:)

It's very simple...whatever trade signal you're using...backtest along with analyzing your real trading results to determine when you tend to lose money and when you tend to make money while trading the Emini TF futures.

preferably.... a ten point pullback comes as a 50% retracement on larger timeframe

actually.... despite everyone thinking TF is wild. the moves on TF are much more exact than they are on ES

except that on TF the moves come fast and at 10 or 20 point increments which means a large range

I really couldn't agree more on the TF vs. ES. I think people think it's best/easier to trade the ES due to volumes but the 0.25 ticks are a pain and the volume can also be a real issue when it comes to not getting filled when the market hits a price and turns - whereas the TF you virtually always get the fill.

MMS

preferably.... a ten point pullback comes as a 50% retracement on larger timeframe

actually.... despite everyone thinking TF is wild. the moves on TF are much more exact than they are on ES

except that on TF the moves come fast and at 10 or 20 point increments which means a large range

(moderator: removed this comment - no need for it)

... so it just goes to show that TF is a better trading vehicle

... more stops on ES .. means more fake-outs

.. TF moves... ES doesn't

I prefer to trade Emini TF because my method (volatility based) was backtested on both TF and ES. It showed better profits with Emini TF in comparison to the profits in Emini ES.

My point is that to properly determine which is better...it's strategy specific. Thus, someone using a different method can backtest and choose Emini ES because ES has better profits than Emini TF due to the type of trade strategy being used.

Simply, there are methods used by traders that performed better in Emini ES and there are methods used by other traders that performs better in Emini TF.

TF sucks.

ES is the best.

(moderator: removed this comment - no need for it)

... so it just goes to show that TF is a better trading vehicle

... more stops on ES .. means more fake-outs

.. TF moves... ES doesn't

Let's raise the level on the discussion a bit -- I don't want to waste my time moderating nor I'm sure does everyone want to feel like they can't speak freely. Cool.

A question I do have on the e-Mini Russell with the big price increase in the exchange fees that is being passed along to everyone -- no more introductory price I guess, do we expect that to impact TF trading at all? Seems like it took a while for it to make a transition of volume from the CME to the ICE -- and now the exchange fees have gone way up.

Thoughts? No effect or will effect it?

MMS

Depends on where you get your data ... some will still offer free or small charges for RT. Tradestation requires signing up for the full ICE package which is $65 per month $780 per year.

Frankly - I get more bang and diversification buck from the EC futures on CME which I already have for the stock index futures.

I cancelled my subscription for the TF and will monitor liquidity to see how it affects the volatility and reliability of trending moves which is what I care about.

the best time to trade TF is when ES is closed

Come on people help each other help this guy ........ok i help him little 9:30 best time to trade if market near to any Pivot Point market go that way its work 95% no joke if you guys cannot help each other stop this think come to this side and talk like kid don’t make people fool help them

...the high on TF was 800.3

.... so you go long at 790.3

with a 1 point stop

----------------------------------------------

then you go short at 785.5 from 775.5 and you get stopped out again .... except that the trend is up .... so shorts are probably not a good idea

....that is a loss of one point on the day

TF sucks ... you don't do you ?

Hey Guys! Sorry for not replying lately! Been real busy! All the post have been informative!

Just one question i have is How do you trade the TF when the ES is closed!

Dont all emini futures trade 24 hours a day, so how is this possible?

Thanks!

Hey Guys! Sorry for not replying lately! Been real busy! All the post have been informative!

Just one question i have is How do you trade the TF when the ES is closed!

Dont all emini futures trade 24 hours a day, so how is this possible?

Thanks!

elovemer was just joking...you can not trade Emini TF when the Emini ES is closed.

Also, Emini futures don't trade 24 hours a day...they are closed during maintenance periods (4:15pm - 4:30pm est week days, closed Saturdays and not open until the evening of Sunday). There are also many U.S. holidays when they are closed while the European futures are open such as Eurex DAX or vice verse.

However, be aware that the Emini TF is on the ICE exchange whereas the Emini ES is on the CME exchange. If one of the exchanges goes down (computer problems)...the other exchange is still open. However, such situations are rare and may only last a few minutes but never all day.

Last of all, some data vendors software gives the option of using regular trading hours (9:30am - 4pm est) charts or all session globex charts. My point is that some traders prefer to use charts set to regular trading hours, others prefer all session globex charts while others have both type of charts. I'm the latter...I use both charts side by side on my monitors because I have a few trade strategies involving gap trading and I can't see such on the all session charts. I also use other strategies involving the all session charts whenever there's volatility spikes via key market events (e.g. European market news). Thus, I need both types of charts. However, in comparison, I do have a preference for regular session charts.

Edited by wrbtrader