Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Guest Tresor

Math / Excel Question

Guest Tresor

Could a kind soul help a math layman to produce an Excel formula for the graph presented in the attachment?

Thanks

5aa7101fb0d35_graphofafunction.png.4d8a2396f112decfb03667af9aa92f79.png

Do you have any additional information on how the data points were plotted. It looks like a simple data series.

Exponential Decay functions look similar however Y > 1 at some point on cyour curve right?

You may be able to approximate the function with a first degree polynomial curve fit.

Sorry, I don't have much time to spend on this because I don't know the purpse of your question.

RANGER

Guest Tresor

Hi Ranger,

This a trading non-related issue. A buddy of mine is making a quiz portal. He wanted me to come up with algorithims for calculating numerous activites on this forum, e.g. a ranking of questions based on question's average time of response, % of correct answers, etc.

A person from another trading forum has offered a solution to my previous post: 1.0001^(-x), which tends to work well.

Now I am looking for a formula for the following function:

5aa7101fb58e9_graphoffunctionB.png.8665397a25b3c78c4ca446f5b522e08d.png

try...

y = 1 - ( 1 / (x + 1) )

y will get closer and closer to 1 as x increases but will never reach 1.

or starting at 1 and approaching 0 but never reaching it...

y = 1 / (x + 1)

Edited by LS_Chad

Hi Ranger,

This a trading non-related issue. A buddy of mine is making a quiz portal. He wanted me to come up with algorithims for calculating numerous activites on this forum, e.g. a ranking of questions based on question's average time of response, % of correct answers, etc.

A person from another trading forum has offered a solution to my previous post: 1.0001^(-x), which tends to work well.

Now I am looking for a formula for the following function:

You might try the excel forum at MS; this forum typically deals with coding issues. If that function meets your needs, and you supply it variable "x", and have it calculate "y". Seems like your all set!

Guest Tresor
if you divide a variable by half...

the calculation can go on forever (infinity)

and never really reach zero.

If you were a song lyrics writter,

like I am

You would get a headache from the word

''variable'',

like I do.