Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

karim0028

Interactive Brokers Order Entry

Hey Guys,

This may sound like a dumb question as im not a newbie..... But, i recently opened an account with IB to test out the firm and see how their commissions work, etc.... Essentially to get a taste for them... Long story short, for the life of me cant get it to process an order the way i want it to...

I am in chart trader and trying to fire off a buy stop with a bracket order profit taking order and a stop loss; all while trading off the chart.... This is about the most back asswards platform i have ever used...

I sat for about an hour on the phone with support and each time they put me on hold to "confer" with colleagues... How f'ing hard is it to put together an order... I swear i called in about 3 times and each time they tell me they need to double check with someone and each time, no single person has been able to get it working properly...

Anyone have any luck with this platform?

yeah, i dont use them for charting either... Seriously, their charts are not even half way usable... But, i thought i could at least use them for order entry.... I was trying to use chart trader as an entry tool not as a charting tool... Guess i was wrong :) thanks i will take look at those other utils...

IB sucks for charts and trading off the charts - and they know it.

(they are fantastic for cost, multiple orders entries, baskets, options, markets etc; not really relevant for most day traders) Dont use IB for yur charts or trading off them. Link to a third party system. if you are only requiring one or two markets try and use a system that does it all - you can also look at Ninja trader, Pats, OEC

i don't know of any serious trader who uses IB for their charts.

It is an ambition of mine that either my trading gets simple enough or IB's charts get good enough for this to be a possibility :D

BF - if your trading gets simple enough to use the charting of IB then you have made it so simple that carrier pigeon to the broker would be good enough.:haha:

I spoke to them about this and they actually said they have no intention of being a charting program - so dont hold your breath - a real shame as it means you have to use other programs such as Ninja if you wish to trade off charts - without doing this when using IB :crap::crap::crap::crap::crap::crap:

BF - if your trading gets simple enough to use the charting of IB then you have made it so simple that carrier pigeon to the broker would be good enough.:haha:

I spoke to them about this and they actually said they have no intention of being a charting program - so dont hold your breath - a real shame as it means you have to use other programs such as Ninja if you wish to trade off charts - without doing this when using IB :crap::crap::crap::crap::crap::crap:

Yeah, seriously, i cant believe i have to have a customer service rep give me a call back the next day to tell me how to setup a bracket order on chart trader.... He literally had to check it out with other folks to be able to tell me how to make it work properly... I am almost positive its buggy... The most convoluted POS software i have ever seen....

Autotrader works way better, and thats free.....

I got to second Sierra Charts for charting and order entry.

Do check out their web site and instruction videos.

Another great front-end is Button Trader.

Button Trader might be what you're looking for!

Take some time to check them both out.