Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

DugDug

Excel and Indicators

Hello, does anyone know of a system (eg; esignal, MC etc;) that will allow me to mass export values on indicators (eg; Moving Avg, Donchian channels) into excel.

It seems that all allow you to export the OHLC data, but none allow for the actual indicator values to be exported easily.

There are some work arounds in a few of these systems - these get slow and cumbersome, but what I am looking for is something that I could have either;

- a watch list with columns such as codes, MA values, OHLC, that I could just cut and paste into an excel sheet Or

- dde links or equivalent.

This also needs to be for possibly 1000 instruments..... hence most work arounds become cumbersome as you generally require the charts to be open. The only alternative is to type these values in....not a good working alternative.

The reason i use excel is that it is completely flexible and means its not reliant on the limitations of any one particular system.

Thanks for any advice or ideas.

Hello, does anyone know of a system (eg; esignal, MC etc;) that will allow me to mass export values on indicators (eg; Moving Avg, Donchian channels) into excel.

It seems that all allow you to export the OHLC data, but none allow for the actual indicator values to be exported easily.

There are some work arounds in a few of these systems - these get slow and cumbersome, but what I am looking for is something that I could have either;

- a watch list with columns such as codes, MA values, OHLC, that I could just cut and paste into an excel sheet Or

- dde links or equivalent.

This also needs to be for possibly 1000 instruments..... hence most work arounds become cumbersome as you generally require the charts to be open. The only alternative is to type these values in....not a good working alternative.

The reason i use excel is that it is completely flexible and means its not reliant on the limitations of any one particular system.

Thanks for any advice or ideas.

MultiCharts allows you to export data in 2 ways:

1. Use File > Export, it will export every data point (price and indicators) of every bar of a selected chart to a text file.

2. Use EasyLanguage Print command in your indicator.

see these threads for discussions:

Print (EasyLanguage)

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f56/print-easylanguage-6000.html

Scan Print

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f46/scan-print-6194.html

Edited by Tams

Hi Tams, thankyou for this. (I figure you would be the one who would answer - thanks for all the great feedback you offer to everyone)

But the problem still remains for what I am after. I was really needing something that links directly to excel, and could be used real time, not just EOD, and not where I have to then get excel to read from text files. I will continue to muck around with a solution using MC when I have the time. (all I really need is to be able to cut and paste something such as the scan page data (not a screen shot) from MC - if this was the case, then problem solved.)

As a side note MC have said that they will instigate something in the program that will allow it to interact with excel at some stage in the near future. This is think will be a great attribute for MC to have.

this process is NOT limited to EOD

you can get the indicator to extract any data point, at any time frame, to any one of the output locations.

if all you needed is "copy and paste"... you can do that from the PowerEditor Output log window.

I would suggest you to read this link again... in detail

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/forums/f56/print-easylanguage-6000.html

the information might be overwhelming at first, but so is your requirement.

I always tell people,

if you don't need (demand) so much... then you don't have to do so much work ;-)>