Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

TraderFoo

Any Good Contracts to Trade After Hours?

O, how I wish we had a lunch break on exchanges in the US like they do in Asia...Tams, since you seem to be familiar with the HSI, can you tell me what the tick size is for the mini futures contract? On the HK exchange site it lists $10HKD/index point, but that seems pretty small, since that is only ~$1.30USD according to Google.

10 HKD is right for the mini. I'm not sure if your CFTC changed the restrictions on this, but they used to not allow US folks to trade the mini. No idea why. You best check. Yes that is small per point, but it is not overly unusual for HSI to put in 500+ pt ranges. Lately over 300pts is pretty much a guarantee every day. So even though the mini is small on a per point basis, when you see the market movement intraday, you will see that even this small contract is sufficient for decent daily gains. The 'big' HSI is 5 times the size of the mini, so you could trade that if you want more grunt. Better spreads and better volume on the bigs. Both are highly tradable.

With kind regards,

MK

It depends on what you mean by "after hours."

From 8pm to 10pm Eastern Time, Euro (6E) and Yen (6J) currency futures move very nicely for my strategies. I probably high a higher winning percentage during this period than during regular trading hours. After 11:30pm Eastern Time (PM session for Tokyo), these begin moving again, but the first session is always better for me.

The KOPSI 200 (K200) moves very nicely for me, but my discipline (and therefore results) is not as reliable as on the currency futures.

If after hours to you means early morning, I would recommend DJ Euro Stoxx (FESX) or the Eurobund (FGBL) are good to trade. I haven't tried the Shatz or the Eurobobl. They may be good as well.

Good trading,

Bam-Bam

Personally, trading AsiaPac hours, I probably trade your after hours.

Futures contracts worth considering are:

HSI and MHI (my bread and butter)

STW (taiwan on SGX)

Nikkie and minis (on both Osaka and SGX)

SPI (Aussie S&P)

KOSPI (especially the options, pretty noisy index)

EuroUSD and USDJPY

my notes:

1. HK exchange takes lunch breaks from HK time 12:30pm to 2:30pm

2. trading can slow down as early as 11:30am

3. afternoon sessions can be lethargic

4. the HK market is often affected by events in NA. i.e BIG gap opening is not a surprise.

5. HK does not have daylight saving time.

i.e. when North America goes back to standard time, the trading hours are ET 8:45pm to 11:30pm, and 1:30am to 3:15am

6. HK is frequently visited by typhoons. The exchange can close on short notice when the wind is too strong.

i.e. keep an eye on the weather forecast.

Enjoy !

Edited by Tams

BTW, HSI is a big contract... go easy on size.

;-)

Yes, thanks for that tip. Just from looking at the small amount of back data that I have today, I've noticed I'll definitely have to adjust my initial stop at the very least, not sure by how much yet...Small tick size, but a lot of movement.

I have the MHI open as well, thanks. I'm drawn to the HSI because it's more liquid, but it will take more time for me to work out the more subtle differences between the two.

I have never traded MHI.

HSI is razor thin as is... compared to ES. LOL, I don't want to go any thinner.

p.s.

the HK stock market opens at HK time 10am,

but the HSI starts trading at 9:45am.

This 15min pre-market is no man's land. Anything can happen. LOL

I finally got a hold of an HKFE feed, and wow, you guys aren't kidding about the HSI. I like it. Looking forward to watching it tonight.

May I ask who is supplying your data?

Thanks in advance,

MK

Regarding trading MHI...I've been trading it just fine for a couple months now. Sure, its thinner, has a wider spread, and trades less volume than HSI, but that hasn't made me unprofitable on the market. I trade a scale-in / out approach and I'm reluctant to start trading 10 HSI as a minimum maximum position. My only regret to trading MHI is the commissions are significantly higher compared to the amount you earn per tick. If you are scalping (ie less than 20pt profit per trade), that could have a significant impact and possibly even be a deal breaker with IBs standard unbundled comm rates.

Having said all that, for how I'm trading, MHI hasn't been a problem yet.

With kind regards,

MK

May I ask who is supplying your data?

Thanks in advance,

MK

I'm getting my data through E-signal. If you're interested in their data but don't use their platform (I use Ninja), you have to call or use their live chat service to subscribe to their data feed, because apparently you can't do it on their website. For just the HKFE, the fee is $89+tax per month, but some US exchanges are quite a bit more expensive I think. The fee structure is something like, $85 base rate depending on whether you want stock or futures data, and then the exchange fees are added to that (the HKFE fee is only $4/mo, and I also subscribed to the OSE, which is only $2/mo). I like the data so far and the customer service I received has been great, but I've only had the feed for 2 days now and I haven't placed a live trade through it (and probably won't for some time yet), so I'm really in no place to judge. It was easy to set up, that's about all I can tell you for sure.

As for MHI vs HSI, I haven't been watching closely or looking at back data for MHI, but I have to say regarding HSI: wow. I wasn't able to watch live tonight since I had dinner plans, but wow is about all I can say once I got back tonight and looked at the charts. Part of me wishes that HSI was thicker, but then I don't think the swings would be so wild. I will also take time to look at both MHI and HSI more closely this weekend. Thanks both of you for sharing your experience and tips.

ALSO, I almost forgot to ask, looking at the chart for HSI tonight, was there some kind of news release that took place around 3:00-3:05PM Hong Kong time? Or is that kind of price action somewhat normal for this market? Coming from US markets such as ES, YM, or NQ, I'm only used to seeing price action like that during news events.

Edited by diablo272

One important thing I forgot to mention regarding the E-signal data. I am having a problem where I can view front month data just fine, but I can't view past month contracts at all. Basically I only seem to have access to front month contracts and beyond, so my ability to backtest at this point is severely limited. I spoke with Ninja about this, and they logged into my account, couldn't get it to work either, and told me to ask E-signal about it. I just finished working with an E-signal rep trying to fix the problem, and in the end she told me that it must be a problem with Ninja. :doh: This is not so problematic for me right now since I'm in the trial period, and I've only had the feed for two days now, but without access to past month contracts, I don't think I would subscribe to this data feed. However, I'm hoping that I can get this problem fixed, and I can keep you updated if you'd like.