Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

thalestrader

Reading Charts in Real Time

I would imagine that this should carry to the second PT, though nothing says that price cannot reverses before PT.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Yes, but I didn't want to get cocky after spotting the turn around.

but I think anyone who has been reading this thread would agree that this long sequence on the EU would have been easy to see in real time.

Best Wishes,

Thales

Many thanks for your teaching of a good breakout method.

Many thanks for keeping this thread a very pleasant place to learn.

Kind regards, Marko

Update: and entered long on an M5 1-2-3

[ATTACH]18124[/ATTACH]

Suitably humbled by the market for breaking my rules on trailing stops. Stopped out at b/e having moved my stop to b/e before a new high had printed. Feeling chastened as a result.

5aa70faf37ff6_gbpusd-100121m5c.thumb.gif.e8f35f123d0f36dc10ecb9436833928e.gif

Kind regards

BT

Edited by Beachtrader

Upmove has five visible segments.

If the coming correction does not retrace far beyond 62%, 1.4028 may be the bottom.

attachment.php?attachmentid=18130&stc=1&d=1264082899

That's vague, but the future is completely unknown to me.

tl-16.thumb.png.4eda999955db1a58b6ceca649a9d64b1.png

here's how I'm seeing EURJPY at the moment. I haven't got a view either way so have marked on possible entries etc. for each direction.

5aa70faf50a39_eurjpy-100121m15a.thumb.gif.0c5965298a11c46be478a42202e0a5b9.gif

A short for me would require a LrH off 129.29.

Kindregards

BT

Update:

Long entry triggered

5aa70faf50a39_eurjpy-100121m15a.thumb.gif.0c5965298a11c46be478a42202e0a5b9.gif

Edited by Beachtrader
To add note about short

Upmove has five visible segments.

If the coming correction does not retrace far beyond 62%, 1.4028 may be the bottom.

That's vague, but the future is completely unknown to me.

Uncertain to us all ... but that really is about the extent of the manner in which I use EW myself, i.e. to sort our possibilities. Of course, with five waves up, we have what could be a 1 or an A. A correction could retrace 1/3 to 2/3's of this little rally, and make another five wave advance, and still be nothing more than a rally in the over all down tend that resolves to new lows. Just follow the highs and lows, higher highs and higher lows, lower lows and lower highs.

Right now this rally is getting a bit sloppy here at the highs, but it did manage to just push through PT2.

I'm just watching for now. I missed the trade of the night on the 6B last night and I'm not quite sure why. I'll post that one later (after the opening 10-30 minutes of the US markets).

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70faf56c4c_2010-01-21EURUSD4.thumb.jpg.46762f0b2c8ef3b239806efa6d070d0d.jpg

Edited by thalestrader

Here is possible ABC up: The first arrow would be the A leg, which subdivides into 5, the middle arrow is the B leg, which can subdivide into 3, and the third arrow would be a C leg where A=C, with the equality occurring at a past pivot level. Not a prediction of anything, by any means, as the unfortunate thing about EW is there are always alternate counts. But, given that the over all trend is currently down, a 123 short sequence that presents itself in the vicinity of that dotted gren line would get my attention moreso than one that occurred, say, right where price is now.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70faf5bd13_2010-01-21EURUSD5.thumb.jpg.4d2da5dc259b232ee7268e2fb454bd0a.jpg

here's how I'm seeing EURJPY at the moment. I haven't got a view either way so have marked on possible entries etc. for each direction.

[ATTACH]18131[/ATTACH]

A short for me would require a LrH off 129.29.

Kindregards

BT

Update:

Long entry triggered

[ATTACH]18131[/ATTACH]

If ever I have been glad of having a stop in place!

Thales, on the subject of trade management I am struggling a little with M15 and wondered if you could offer some advice. Obviously this is now with hindsight, but would I be right in thinking that a more prudent approach would have been to allow 1 test of the breakout level and tightened to just below that level, possibly taking into account the then failure of price to break its previous high as an early warning signal of trouble ahead?

5aa70faf70f8b_eurjpy-100121m15c.thumb.gif.472527d1ee3f91a0622eb5a406a1926d.gif

Kind regards BT

My current thoughts on how I will trade the 6E today are on the chart (chart shows spot EURUSD).

The best laid plans ...

That was too quick for me to figure out what was happening. What a day!

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70faf7770a_2010-01-21EURUSD8.thumb.jpg.469ce79b82cb0d9d0800bfc1052898f0.jpg

The best laid plans ...

That was too quick for me to figure out what was happening. What a day!

Best Wishes,

Thales

This made it look fishy to me, the rally looked too slow.

18140d1264088411-reading-charts-real-time-tl-21.png

tl-21.thumb.png.bfaa0e0e3e630af88f978578c8e7d3d5.png

Edited by Marko23
Wrong chart in the first edit!!

EURUSD continuation?

[ATTACH]18141[/ATTACH]

Kind regards

BT

Not for me, I get a little tired, will switch off soon.

There was more than enough in FDAX.

Edited by Marko23
Typo, really tired.

If ever I have been glad of having a stop in place!

Thales, on the subject of trade management I am struggling a little with M15 and wondered if you could offer some advice. Obviously this is now with hindsight, but would I be right in thinking that a more prudent approach would have been to allow 1 test of the breakout level and tightened to just below that level, possibly taking into account the then failure of price to break its previous high as an early warning signal of trouble ahead?

Hi BT,

You did alright - you had your stop and you didn't lift hoping to get back to even (thankfully).

You are correct in that failure to make a new high when you are long is not bullish.

Also, look at your chart (you were trading the EURJPY I believe), and there we had a fairly clear short sequence (not necessarily obvious without looking for it, but you had a pullback low after the high, and then a rally that carried close to but not quite to the previous high. That low wold have been a good place to move your stop to, if not outright stop and reverse.

attachment.php?attachmentid=18142&stc=1&d=1264090501

Also, here is a neat little trick I picked up from a JR, aka "Baldy," some years ago. The notes on the chart should be explanatory, but essentially it gives another way of "seeing" areas of possible proportion that may act as S/R levels.

attachment.php?attachmentid=18143&stc=1&d=1264091465

As for me, the drop on the 6E took me by "surprise" in that I did not get the kind of indication I was looking for at the level at which I'd have liked to have seen it occur.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70faf894d2_2010-01-21EURJPY1.thumb.jpg.549d5b0762fa701990dc2203a5015cc9.jpg

5aa70faf8f3d0_2010-01-21EURJPYChopZOneChannel1.thumb.jpg.0d258bc831755bf1fe170dcfd8289641.jpg

Thank you Thales for your feedback. That trick for chop zones is fascinating and I look forward to utilising it.

With regards to the HLLrH sequence, I think I was at fault for not interpreting what was going on correctly in real time as (as always with hindsight) I could see it after the event!!

Kind regards

BT

With regards to the HLLrH sequence, I think I was at fault for not interpreting what was going on correctly in real time as (as always with hindsight) I could see it after the event!!

I don't want to mislead you. I was not watching the EURJPY at the time, though I did have that channel drawn on it. I did not see the short sequence in real time, but I think I would have caught it.

I know you have said you use the 5 minute a great deal. Perhaps you'd be well served to force yourself not to look at anything less than the 15 minute. Mixing your time frame views probably will slow down the process by which you learn to see this various sequences and the degrees to which each belongs. Just a suggstion, of course, and I may be wrong.

By the way, here the daily EURJPY showing that the last multi-week rally stalled right around the midpoint of the nearly year long range between 126.87 and 139.20. Price has declined near the lower end of that range. May be an interesting place from which to hold a long if price gives us a chance.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70fafe8967_2010-01-21EURJPYRange1.thumb.jpg.49bf2fd885f2e6b3ec4114d4b92fc948.jpg

For completeness sake here is the final chart of the euro trade I took on Monday night.

Initial entry was 4277 and I scaled out at 4258 (1/2), 4205 (just over 1/4) and 4125 (the rest) was hit this afternoon when euro went walkabout.

I'm not used to letting trades run this long (half a day is usually my max!) so I'm sure the scaling out etc. could have been massively improved upon but lots of lessons learnt for the future.

5aa70fb01f81b_eurusd-100119m15l.thumb.gif.040f7fc1edd8ded15bbbed0908b3c223.gif

Kind regards

BT

For completeness sake here is the final chart of the euro trade I took on Monday night.

Initial entry was 4277 and I scaled out at 4258 (1/2), 4205 (just over 1/4) and 4125 (the rest) was hit this afternoon when euro went walkabout..

I'd be very pleased with that trade had I made it with your results. Great job!

Best Wishes,

Thales

Once in a while I have these streaks where the couldawouldashoulda ES trades would have been keepers, while the trades I actually manage to get an order off on would have been better never to have been born. A bounce from here that does not make a new high will cause me to pull the rip cord on this trade.

Best Wishes,

Thales

5aa70fb024b92_2010-01-21ES3.thumb.jpg.38beea52112d0e81d5da189438a491ac.jpg