Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

pa18

Better Volume Indicator and Tradestation

Hi guys,

I have an indicator for Ninjatrader called 'Better Volume Indicator' from emini watch. The original indicator is programmed for tradestation and the indicator I have is for Ninjatrader becasue NT is my preferred platform.

What I'm trying to do is confirm if my NT Better Volume indicator is doing it's job well so I like to ask the numerous tradestation guys on this forum if you have the indicator I mentioned. And if you do, do you mind posting yesterdays 10 minute GBPUSD EURUSD EURJPY charts for me to compare with mine.

Thank you,

5aa70edc07ffc_29-May-0905_26_28.thumb.gif.2c6b25e483f6abf3435e6ee8664af812.gif

5aa70edc12f2a_29-May-0905_27_14.thumb.gif.061918e11bdab9f5fd9ad9b9b3208adf.gif

5aa70edc1e281_29-May-0905_27_47.thumb.gif.492d2aa783942e58c882ebf2984ddee9.gif

Hi Tams,

I don't have tradestation. I'm asking someone for help in posting tradestation charts for me to compare with my NT charts.

I don't trade GBPUSD EURUSD EURJPY...

maybe someone can help.

Trouble using currencies to compare is that every feed will have different volumes. If you are debugging a volume based indicator you might be better off comparing an exchange traded instrument?

I'm using the demo version of NT with the feed from GAIN. I think Tradestation also get their feed from GAIN if I read the website correctly. So, should have no problems with comparing tick volume between NT and TS.

... yesterdays 10 minute GBPUSD EURUSD EURJPY charts

don't know if this will help you at all....

As others have mentioned feeds are different - Even NT Gain and TS Gain?

Also, my bars may start at different times from yours.

Also, I am displaying an older BetterVolume indicator... never downloaded the newer closed source ones..

hth

EJ_BetterVolume.thumb.jpg.dcd818ec6aa221a71dd146bf2916b8ff.jpg

GBPUSD_BetterVolume.thumb.jpg.9626152b4ac140fc8ebd2a0cf1a20a4d.jpg

EURUSD_BetterVolume.thumb.jpg.881253001f675f0a8d217ae43b516152.jpg

Hi Zdo,

Thank you for the charts, I'm still not sure if NT better volume is reading the market well what it is suppose to do. In the end I asked directly emini watch for the charts. I'd compared them from mine and looks like my better volume are picking areas of turns ok but continuations are :crap: and checking your charts, this also confirms my suspicions. It may be my settings in NT BV

Can you post your old NT indicator out for me to try? Or maybe suggest the settings for NT BV, that would be brilliant so at least I can make some solid assumptions about this NT indicator.

Thank you :)

Can you post your old NT indicator out for me to try? Or maybe suggest the settings for NT BV, that would be brilliant so at least I can make some solid assumptions about this NT indicator.

Sorry, I only have TS versions. Have never used it on TS or NT. If you study the code you should be able to determine whether or not you can make "solid assumptions" about the logic of his conditions particularily since fx volume is number of ticks proxy for actual volume...

If you read the code through carefully you should be able to get it right without too much (any?) testing. Of course I appreciate you wanting to test it :) however It is really just 5 conditionals so careful scrutiny of the code should be able to get a bug free conversion.

Hi Blowfish, thank you for the offer. The code is long, if you don't want to do then thats ok, I don't blame you :). I've attached one word document with both versions of the code. Thank you.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not lazy or I can't be bothered, I'm just so crap at computer languages :crap:

Better Volume Indicator 25Jan09.doc

That is a lot more complicated than his more recent versions! The one I have in tradestation the 'meat and potatoes; is about 5 lines. I think it is the most recent, he seems to have simplified the logic greatly. In short comparing is unlikely to be productive :(

It looks like you have some VSA indicators for Ninja on your chart examples. Can you share where those are available?

Hi, yes, go to NinjaTrader support and you'll find indicators there. There are a few threads in forexfactory on VSA where some people put up NT VSA indicators. Go there are do a search. Have a nice day.

When using the BetterVolume indicator in TS and tracking Forex, set the Forex symbol to Tick Count not Trade Volume. The BetterVolume indicator will work with this setting. Forex does not report actual volume.

That is a lot more complicated than his more recent versions! The one I have in tradestation the 'meat and potatoes; is about 5 lines. I think it is the most recent, he seems to have simplified the logic greatly. In short comparing is unlikely to be productive :(

Could you post the TS version, I'd like to look at the code and see if I can convert it to NT.

thx!

Mike

Hi Guys I just found this thread. I have both TS & NT and the better volume for NT doesn't work at all. I've done comparisons and it's not even close.

I ported the Better Volume code to NT but there's just one small problem: NT doesn't have access to historical bid/ask information. So the indicator worked in real time but if you do anything that would cause a refresh you loose all your volume information. This historical bid/ask feature is supposed to be added in NT 7.0.

So what I do is use better volume with TS and use my other indicators with NT. I prefer to do everything on one platform but some tasks are much easier on one or the other.

Hope that helps.

Neither TS or NT have historical bid/ask info. Its fortunate then that the better volume indicator does not require it :) are you getting mixed up with another indicator?

Neither TS or NT have historical bid/ask info. Its fortunate then that the better volume indicator does not require it :) are you getting mixed up with another indicator?

BV for TS uses upTicks & downTicks. on a tick chart, if the tick is an uptick then that means it occurred at the ask right? how does TS draw the better volume indicator for historical data if TS doesn't have the bid/ask information?

If you read the code you will see that one version plots based on tick volume and does not discern between upticks or downticks at all.

Paul

The only thing interesting is having it use the upticks & downticks. :)