Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Trader P/L 2009

42409.thumb.jpg.e0a09aa5fc7c12888f2df9a11ba91475.jpg

Took some stupid trades and whole day was :crap: managed to get back a little above even. Well I guess im lucky and monday is another day. Gave a good weekend everyone.

There seems to be a dissagreement between those of you who think trading on sim will help and those of you who think it will instill bad ideas. I have a bit of money put away to trade, and was wondering if putting a small amount in an account would help me with the psychological aspect of trading would help or should I jump right in? I have a plan which I have written out over several years, and I have been studying the markets also. The only reason I did not simtrade before was to not possibly develop bad habits.

Hi Sensei,

I think that there is no disagreement.

You have a plan, and if you start small, and if you can survive a loss, and if know what you do (and I think you do), you do it right.

I use sim trades, because I focused a long time on all these indicators,

but I still have to work on my plan. So this is my problem, not yours.

And for me, in my situation, sim is right.

I think finally its up to every person her/himself to decide, what might be the best way to reach her/his goals.

I think, I just wrote my posts, because newer newbies than myself

read this thread, and might come to the maybe premature opinion (IMO),

that sim is useless at all.

Again, there is no disagreement.

Use sim as long as necessary,

then trade real.

Hal

Edited by HAL9000
Little thingies.

There seems to be a dissagreement between those of you who think trading on sim will help and those of you who think it will instill bad ideas. I have a bit of money put away to trade, and was wondering if putting a small amount in an account would help me with the psychological aspect of trading would help or should I jump right in? I have a plan which I have written out over several years, and I have been studying the markets also. The only reason I did not simtrade before was to not possibly develop bad habits.

Sensei, Trading how you normally would do according to your plan in a funded account in my opinion will teach you the actual psycholigical aspects that every trader deals with every day.

SIM is great for many, I just believe that the fear/greed do not play the role they normally would without real money on the line.

Trading on Simulator Account is almost the same a trading Live , both have to have a STOP Loss and if the Stop Loss Exit is hit too many consecutive times, then there is something wrong with the Entry Method, period.

The only difference between SIM and Live is for someone that concentrates or focuses on the Profits or Loss and does not pay enough attention to the Entry Method. That person would be inpaired or disadvantaged because the psychological or mental discipline required for trading would be lost.

I traded SIM for more than a year, and until I saw 10 or more consecutive Wining Trades without hitting my STOP Loss, I did NOT traded Live.

I couldn't agree more. I too will try to post a p/l here daily. I suppose you only want real money trades not practice accounts. I have a spotty record for trading real money, so I still practice alot. However I now have my account refunded and I will post any real trading days I have here. I trade the YM mostly, as a relative noob I like the smaller increments for entry and exits but I watch both ym and es. But I guess this is not really the thread to be pratelling on in. lol Well good luck to both of you.

today I have problems with computer and software ...

if everything was working ..I would have good pnl....

but anyway manage to stay positive

pl6.jpg.84c0820b5a74407cdc8a557630b3c238.jpg

I didn't trade real money today and only up $165. on my practice acct. I placed my first trade on my practice acct. and caught that first hr. pop for 50 pt move on the YM using my EMA cross-over signal and then another smaller long for 20 pt. I was just about to open my real account and tried one more practice and bang.. stopped out, then another and another. It just kept going down right thru all my longer ema's and right thru at least 2 pivots. So needless to say I spent the rest of the day recovering my losses on my practice account and ended up $165. So all in all not bad. I will endeavor to find my you know what's tomorrow and start trading for real. Let me know if this is too long a post. But I must say I can see where this kind of a daily venting could be very theraputic... lol lol. Thanks Robert

I agree with bathrobe the sim doesn't factor in the most important factor of trading your head. The fear and greed aspect can't be simulated, Example in a sim account you will normally enter the trade set you profit and loss and wait. Easy right. Well of course it is it is not real money.

I actually performed a small test with my 10 year old. I explained a simple moving average method using a 13 period MA and ttm ttm trend. She performed well followed the directions and played it like a game. The rules where followed to the T about 95% of the time. She said it was easy and couldn't understand that I actually did this for a living.

I then told her that her allowance would depend on how much money she made she also wanted a new laptop so I told her she would have to trade for it. Well guess what happened next. Everything changed . She took quick profits and stopped following the rules. Greed and fear took over. This quickly proved top me anyway the sim trading doesn't work. Aside from learing the nuances of trading software, or a new system and indicators.

I couldn't agree more. I too will try to post a p/l here daily. I suppose you only want real money trades not practice accounts. I have a spotty record for trading real money, so I still practice alot. However I now have my account refunded and I will post any real trading days I have here. I trade the YM mostly, as a relative noob I like the smaller increments for entry and exits but I watch both ym and es. But I guess this is not really the thread to be pratelling on in. lol Well good luck to both of you.

Robert - post WHATEVER your heart desires, whether that be real or sim. No one here cares and if they say something, I will just boot their ass outta here.

;)

So, welcome to the thread and look forward to seeing your daily blotters.

4-28-09 follow up:

While I am happy w/ the end result P/L for today, I missed a couple trades that would have almost doubled the end result which is very frustrating for me. My goal of this thread for me personally was to work the plan and today I came up short. I missed a ZB trade and that first QM trade should have ended in +$200 or so. Those 2 would have added at least $500 into the end result.

So the plan is working, but the end user is still working on working the plan properly.

First post regarding P/L. Not a typical day - caught a nice 2 day swing in the Eurex. Had the trade planned for a week - and it triggered nicely. Should have done better on exits - but somehow my interface with Ninja and the futures holding was not working - so just exited the contract when the market opened last eve.

The Bond and the Emini were more typical of my trades. 5aa70ec98d188_MondayApril28.thumb.png.5aad29745d60da4dfed831e5984b77c3.png

Trying to work a plan - ironing out entries and exits. Hope it continues...

Well, I spent the day trying to make sense of the time and sales on the Emini. Made some sim trades and ended up with a $125. loss. I will keep my eye on time and sales but I am much more comfortable with my other indicators. Today I will endeavor to trade for real.

hard day for me today ..but at end still profitable ...

not happy with my decesions ..and focus

btw . brownsfan019..what happen today with ZB ...

I hope you catch this stress

pl8.jpg.5784a9e1cf633adc3bfe51678cd065d8.jpg

Edited by JKLM
message to brownsfan

4-29-09

attachment.php?attachmentid=10367&stc=1&d=1241031511

In the end, profitable day but missed some opportunities. Lack of focus today was the primary issue here apparently for me. I went in assuming that I might have a slower day due to FOMC, but in hindsight, there were plenty of more trades that I could have taken. Just goes to show that is you go into a day w/ a mindset, you might miss some blatantly obvious setups.

Note on the 6E trade - holy sh*t did I take some slippage on that trade. I went to get short on a sell stop that was not triggered until the 8:30am news (I was hoping to get filled before). In the process of having my sell stop issued when my price level was hit, I took a slippage of at least 10 ticks on that one. Not happy there but the options were: 1) leave trade on and accept it 2) let it go. I went w/ #1.

btw . brownsfan019..what happen today with ZB ...

I hope you catch this stress

The trade that I missed I was talking about JK was on the ZB. Really not happy that I missed an excellent short b/c I had checked out for the day.

:doh:

4-29-2009.png.dc5c724bc931004db79097546212e80b.png

Traded the Emini on sim again today but with my regular signals and readings. $825. on 14 trades. On 2- I got out at even, 3- I got stopped out, that leaves 9 winners. Can't post a P/L stmt here cause the sim don't do it. I missed the first hr big move up but I got a good piece of the move at 1:30, and a nice long after the FOMC report came out. Anyways all in all not a bad day. Just wish I could remember where I left my you know what's, there around here somewhere, I'm sure they'll turn up soon. lol

robert