Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Teaching Yourself Web Design

It really depends on what you are looking to do BF. Can you elaborate on what your intentions are, i.e make sites for other people, sell your own products on your own site etc.

Good question.

Right now I just want to be able to make a basic website. Learn how to design in it, how to host, etc. etc. From there I'd like to be able to make a site for the family where we can store pictures and have online access.

After that, who knows.

Hi Bf,

You might want to start playing around with Dreamweaver to create websites. Personally I have found it more fun to create drafts, hire designers and programmers, and then create a site according to plan.

I didnt have a slightest clue about web design and website creation but over the past 2 years have gained alot.

Just know that site creation is sort of like working in a limited environment. You have layouts you need to create which is almost always seperated in columns, rows, and boxes. Once that is established, its a matter of knowing what to include in each space.

Designing requires skills like photoshop. Here is an amazing clip:

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=8K_NQe57C-k

Seems that many many many websites follow one of a handful of template designs. Imho anyone can put together a functional, decent looking site, with a bit of study. The best stuff comes from people with either a background in, or strong appreciation of, graphic design. I guess for a family site that's not such a big deal.

Right now I just want to be able to make a basic website. Learn how to design in it, how to host, etc. etc. From there I'd like to be able to make a site for the family where we can store pictures and have online access.

In that case I would suggest Soultrader had the right idea. Dreamweaver has a good tutorial section that will help you learn basic html from scratch. Html will be enough to easily create a website to store pictures. It also has tutorials on how to upload your site to your hosting company etc.

Once you have learnt the basics, depending on your interest you might want to look into learning principles of design etc. Where to place things, what colors work best together, how to use fonts in designs etc. After that you can start making your site look a bit better and look into CSS to help make your website modifications easier.