Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

firewalker

Freeconomics

First we had freakonomics, now we have freeconomics :)

"The rise of "freeconomics" is being driven by the underlying technologies that power the Web. Just as Moore's law dictates that a unit of processing power halves in price every 18 months, the price of bandwidth and storage is dropping even faster. Which is to say, the trend lines that determine the cost of doing business online all point the same way: to zero."

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/it/magazine/16-03/ff_free

What happened to the classic TANSTAAFL?

Note it is the cost of doing business i.e. overheads. Actually the statement is flawed the 'web presence' is just a small portion of the cost of doing business. The largest portion will always be things like staff power transportation (presuming you deliver something physical). Flawed thinking and logical fallacies, all well and good but you expect better from 'academics'. Having said the I enjoyed the book when I read it :)

Note it is the cost of doing business i.e. overheads. Actually the statement is flawed the 'web presence' is just a small portion of the cost of doing business. The largest portion will always be things like staff power transportation (presuming you deliver something physical). Flawed thinking and logical fallacies, all well and good but you expect better from 'academics'. Having said the I enjoyed the book when I read it :)

The book 'Free' isn't published yet, so how come you've already read it?

Nowhere in the article does Anderson deny there is a cost of doing business (for example technology, bandwidth, storage*), but what he's talking about is that these costs are being carried by a third agent. And from the consumer's point of view, he is getting a free lunch.

Just look at the websites of newspapers; here in Belgium we might not be early adopters, but the biggest national newspapers have all made 75% of their printed version available online for free in the last couple of years. Apple threw DRM away just couple of weeks ago. Google Books, Scribd, ipaper,... But examples are abundant really.

What logical fallacies are you talking about?

(* As for storage in everyday use, look at the prices of SD memory cards the last couple of years...)

Ahh OK my mistake I thought it was from freak...that was the one I enjoyed :) Seems to me that to conclude the costs of a business are going to approach zero because of plummeting 'IT costs' is a non sequitur. It conveniently ignores the other costs of doing business.

Even assuming these companies can get there costs close to zero (can't imagine customer service will be up to much :)) the majority of companies will still need to produce 'stuff'. Of course everyone could become third agents I suppose but without stuff to sell I don't suppose they would last long.

I wonder what ebay's balance sheet looks like? That has to be one of the closest models to what is being talked about? It would be interesting to compare them to other webcentric companies (google maybe) that actually produce things.

Ahh OK my mistake I thought it was from freak...that was the one I enjoyed :) Seems to me that to conclude the costs of a business are going to approach zero because of plummeting 'IT costs' is a non sequitur. It conveniently ignores the other costs of doing business.

Ah yeah, Freakonomics, fun read as well :)

I think the author kind of stole his title from Levitt in this came!

Most important from the 'free' point of view, is that it will come without an additional cost for the consumer, at least not a monetary cost. But I think that's something that has been going along for a while. Take webmail for example, for as long as I can remember most popular webmail providers have been free, with the possibility of paying for a premium version (more storage, pop3 connectivity, SSL...). But nowadays the premium has also turned free (unlimited email storage), so I wonder how far can we go?

Also interesting, was this interview:

http://globeinvestor.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080505.wranderson05/GIStory/