Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

cbratton

Quote Tracker Value Chart Paintbar

Anyone,

I've been trying to develop a code to have a value chart as a paint bar on Quote Tracker, but have been having trouble with making the code work.

Here's what I have so far:

if (Bar High-SMA)/0.3>8 set color to Red

if (Bar High-SMA)/0.3>=4 AND (Bar High-SMA)/0.3<=8 set color to $B7B7F (Light Red)

if (Bar Low-SMA)/0.3<=-4 AND (Bar Low-SMA)/0.3>=-8 set color to $B7FFB7 (Light Green)

if (Bar Low-SMA)/0.3<-8 set color to Green

For example, the top line if (Bar High-SMA)/0.3>8 set color to Red, is the bar high minus the SMA (5 Day (H+L)/2), that part works fine.

The part I'm having trouble with is the 0.3 part. It is suppose to be what is called a volatility unit, which is figured by (((Bar High[4]-Bar Low[4])+(Bar High[3]-Bar Low[3])+(Bar High[2]-Bar Low[2])+(Bar High[1]-Bar Low[1])+(Bar High-Bar Low))/5)*0.20. I just put 0.3 in for now because that was some average I figured out.

The 0.20 makes it adjust to changing volatility overtime. I try putting it all together and nothing shows up.

I want to know when the highs or lows get to the overbought or oversold area, and shade them the appropriate color.

This is what it is suppose to be for signif. overbought:

(Bar High-SMA)/(((Bar High[4]-Bar Low[4])+(Bar High[3]-Bar Low[3])+(Bar High[2]-Bar Low[2])+(Bar High[1]-Bar Low[1])+(Bar High-Bar Low))/5)*0.20

> 8

It needs to be greater than +8.

Does anyone see what I'm doing wrong, or is it even possible to figure it out.

Any help would be appreciated.

if (Bar High-SMA)/0.3>8 set color to Red

It has been a while that I have done paintbar coding in QT.

When in doubt, always put in the parenthesis:

if ((Bar High-SMA)/0.3)>8 set color to Red

Also is there an input value for SMA ?

Edited by OAC

This is what I have for the significantly Overbought:

if (Bar High-SMA(5)) / (((Bar High[4]-Bar Low[4]) + (Bar High[3]-Bar Low[3]) + (Bar High[2]-Bar Low[2]) + (Bar High[1]-Bar Low[1]) + (Bar High-Bar Low))/5)*0.2 >8 set color to Red

It still shows nothing on the chart.

It might be to complex or the expression is incorrect, anyone else have any thoughts?

How did you get it working? Did you change it? Please let me know.

Do you need eye glasses ?

When in doubt, always put in the parenthesis:

Okay, I got it now. I tried putting parenthesis in, but it still didn't work. What I did was simplify the calculations, so now it works perfect. I don't know if you divided by 0.3 or the volitility unit formula.

Thanks for your help.

if (Bar High-SMA(5)) /((((Bar High[4]-Bar Low[4]) + (Bar High[3]-Bar Low[3]) + (Bar High[2]-Bar Low[2]) + (Bar High[1]-Bar Low[1]) + (Bar High-Bar Low))/5)*0.2) >8 set color to Red

Happy New Year

A great thanks to both of you. Here is what I came up with from your work, so people can just cut and paste it into the complex expression editor. Let me know it there is anything that needs adjusting. I used the 5 SMA and .2 multiplyer.

if (Bar High-SMA(5)) /((((Bar High[4]-Bar Low[4]) + (Bar High[3]-Bar Low[3]) + (Bar High[2]-Bar Low[2]) + (Bar High[1]-Bar Low[1]) + (Bar High-Bar Low))/5)*0.2) >8 set color to Red

if (Bar High-SMA(5)) /((((Bar High[4]-Bar Low[4]) + (Bar High[3]-Bar Low[3]) + (Bar High[2]-Bar Low[2]) + (Bar High[1]-Bar Low[1]) + (Bar High-Bar Low))/5)*0.2) >4 AND (Bar High-SMA(5)) /((((Bar High[4]-Bar Low[4]) + (Bar High[3]-Bar Low[3]) + (Bar High[2]-Bar Low[2]) + (Bar High[1]-Bar Low[1]) + (Bar High-Bar Low))/5)*0.2)<8 set color to $8080FF

if (Bar High-SMA(5)) /((((Bar High[4]-Bar Low[4]) + (Bar High[3]-Bar Low[3]) + (Bar High[2]-Bar Low[2]) + (Bar High[1]-Bar Low[1]) + (Bar High-Bar Low))/5)*0.2) <-4 AND (Bar High-SMA(5)) /((((Bar High[4]-Bar Low[4]) + (Bar High[3]-Bar Low[3]) + (Bar High[2]-Bar Low[2]) + (Bar High[1]-Bar Low[1]) + (Bar High-Bar Low))/5)*0.2)>-8 set color to $B7FFB7

if (Bar High-SMA(5)) /((((Bar High[4]-Bar Low[4]) + (Bar High[3]-Bar Low[3]) + (Bar High[2]-Bar Low[2]) + (Bar High[1]-Bar Low[1]) + (Bar High-Bar Low))/5)*0.2) <-8 set color to Green

For rough similiar lower indicators I use the Bressert DSS 5, 2 and 5,4 and RSI 3,3 all paintbarred.

I played around with the paintbar a bit and liked a 0.25 multiplyer. The paintbar is less useful than a line indicator for me.The medium range bars turned on sometimes during a minor cycle reversal point.

I will share some of the combos I use it with. They are better on some charts than others. Mostly they are like scalper alerts for exit points, but can be used like the Value indicator to locate building momentum or extreme conditions.

The afore mentioned Bressert DSS 5,2 and 5,4 are painted for extreme at 17 and 84 levels. I put white boxes near a candle that price closes above or below the keltner band 10,2. A more sensitive indicator that can be useful for some charts is the price closing outside a SMA 3,2 envelope. I put yellow/pink directional arrows above or below the candles. Let me know if anyone wants copy and paste code to try these out.