Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

andy2m

Thoughts on Forex Order and Trade Volume

In the last weeks I have tried to find out some relationships between forex (order-)volume and price. I'm influenced by Neill's "Tape reading and market tactics".

On forex we have no normal volume of course but with my IB account I can catch both trade volume (as well as ticks) and order volume (from DOM).

This "volume" is not to read like volume on a stock chart but at least there are some clues that could be given to us. Even more if I apply a filter and only catch the "big" volume (> 3x average volume) to see what the big players do.

I observed the order and trade volume for a while and can at least say there are relationships between volume and price however no hard and fast ones.

My observations so far (see orange circles in charts):

- periods of "silence" (small trade volume of big players) are often followed by big moves)

- a spread in bid/ask order volume often leads to a move in price

- a crossing in bid/ask spread leads to a change in price move direction

So far so good. I built an automated strategy on these observations and with a sound money management they work not bad. The only remaining "little problem" is direction. It's possible to play a breakout strategy on the observed facts, breakouts from low volume regions, but I could improve the results dramatically if I had more clues on direction. In reality sometimes bid>ask leads to an up- sometimes to a down-move, seems like a 50% chance.

Maybe someone here has made similar observations and does know something about the big players tricks that are going on every day?

Andy

EURUSD-081208-Ordervolsample1.png.604d9c71212e7d547388fcb752683c25.png

EURUSD-081208-Ordervolsample2.png.551b907e8b3ef910bb5de1db7dd5b9a7.png

It is possible to assess liquidity and strenght of the move by looking at good data feed chart or data feed alone. Bid/ask spread can also help us a bit what's going on. Price movement is the clue . it's like an animal. you just need to learn to read its intention.;)

" I can catch both trade volume (as well as ticks) and order volume (from DOM)."

I don't think you can? How can you differentiate between someone 'pulling' an order and a trade taking place? All you can see is bid ask changes isn't it? That is the big problem with spot FX.