Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

ZOSO

Pay for Performance Mentorship?

There are levels of discretionary though some people use the label as an excuse for in adequate planning (I have been guilty of this).

For example you might have a rigorous system of entry stop and target but allow for discretion in passing trades under certain defined conditions. Or you might use slightly 'fuzzy' terms (e.g. 'climactic' volume, strong momentum, low volatility, narrow range). Now you could go as far as describing these terms rigorously (and probably arbitrarily) or allow the trader some discretion applying them. It should still be clear in most cases whether they have followed their plan correctly.

A third case is that the plan (strategy) is fairly loose, however in this case each trade (tactics) should be well defined. This is probably the most discretionary type of approach and does rely more on experience.

If you are going to trade non discretionary it seems a nobrainer to get a machine (or more likely a broker) to trade it for you and so eliminate emotions on execution altogether.

Guest MRC & Co

And if you are a scalper, you are taking ticks based on varying order flow patterns, with exits just being a 'feel' many of the times. Perhaps a 1-2 tick stop, but some let positions run offside if they 'feel' it right. Some days correlate to other international markets and you can trade off lags in the correlations, other times they beat to the sound of their own drum. Sometimes intraday, this can be to varying degrees and the trade needs to be dealt with accordingly. These are things that cannot be taught.

A method which can be put into rules and a plan, is more of a mechanical method IMHO. Of course, now we are getting into semantics, however this was my view and are what my above comments are based upon. Most of the best traders I work with are scalpers and don't even have a 'trading plan' written out.

Try teaching that to someone off the net. Most would classify it simply as noise.

I will have to try to look up the names, but there are a couple of guys in Atlanta that teach a course in trading. The ones who do well are able to put up $5000 and have access to 25k. I don't remember any more details.

all of a sudden it's a major operation / pain in the a$$, and you used to be your own boss, work your own hours...

Totally agree. Thats why I would only do this if like brownsfan said, it was close family or friends..

The bigger risk to this business I would think is even if the student is profitable, it won't be to long before they have adapted things to make it their own and don't feel they owe the fee anymore.

I don't see how you could really stop someone you never met from saying they are quitting trading, closing their account then just opening with another brokerage and you never hear from them again.