Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

davem1979

Trading Monitors--How Many and What Size?

How Many Screens Do You Use???  

86 members have voted

1. 1. How Many Screens Do You Use???

• 1 Monitor
    • 2 Monitors
    • 3 Monitors
    • 4 or More Screens

Hi Folks,

I am looking to create an LCD monitor array, and would love some opinions as to what your favorite setup is.

At the moment I found a great deal on some 20" LG L2000CP LCD's with a resolution of 1600x1200. Since I would like to buy good quality panels as I also do photographic editing, these seem to be the best choice here in Spain as I can get them for 280 Euros each. I was thinking of getting three of them.

My question is for those who have used both 24" and 20" monitors. Will I be happy with this array to start out with, or should I consider getting 24" monitors that have a resolution of 1920x1200 which would allow more bars on the screen looking left to right, and for the market profiles?

Getting high quality 24" screens will cost quite a bit more as well, and I'm not sure it's worth it...

At first sight the 24" panels seemed a bit big to put 3 across a desk, but am curious if anyone has a recommendation about this.

I have a feeling I'll be able to more easily monitor things happening on the 20" screens which will take up less space and not be so wide.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

David

PS. I mostly focus on scalping the Euro Bund with charts open of the DAX, DJ EuroStoxx, Schatz, S&P, Market Profile, etc...and currently I'm just using a laptop. I'll be relegating the laptop to extraneous tasks and will be getting another PC for the monitor array.

For what its worth i recently upgraded to 24s and the difference vs smaller monitors even 22s is huge. @4 is the way to go. Also Hannspree(sp) has a 28,actully though 27.2 I think that is priced about the same as good 24s. I didn't buy them because I only buy those with a 3yr warranty. They have a 1 yr.

For what its worth i recently upgraded to 24s and the difference vs smaller monitors even 22s is huge. @4 is the way to go. Also Hannspree(sp) has a 28,actully though 27.2 I think that is priced about the same as good 24s. I didn't buy them because I only buy those with a 3yr warranty. They have a 1 yr.

What graphics card have you got installed? Did you have to change those.

For what its worth i recently upgraded to 24s and the difference vs smaller monitors even 22s is huge. @4 is the way to go.

Hi Hunter1,

Thanks for the recommendation. So for trading, I guess having that 1920x1200 resolution is really nice...

Is the reason you like the 24" monitors because you can see more of the chart in one view, rather than zooming or scrolling around the chart as much?

I'm still thinking about getting those 1600x1200 LG's, but maybe I'll check around now and see if there are some deals on 24" screens---the other thing is that the LG's are so much cheaper than a high quality 24" that I could just buy more 20's over time if I need them....

Thanks Again,

David

Last week I bought BenQ V2400W for about 350 Euros. Not a big difference to your 280 for 20'' LG. I dont say the monitor I bought is some high-end quality but I guess it is good enough for me. The reason I bought 24'' wide screen was because I recently focus on quite fast charts so I want to have more history on the screen.

bearbull I have an old nvidia 6200 dual monitor card I believe. Dint have to change a thing. Plugged in the monitors and off I went. Pair of Samsung 2443.

Davem, Yes I got the bigger monitors so I can have all my main charts open at once and my matrix and not have to scroll or click a thing. I can also quickly bring up my long term trend charts when I need to without losing a beat. Since I am a scalper the space lets me see and enter everything without losing time or getting confused while clicking charts.

Hi Guys,

I ended up getting three 24 inch HP LP2475W monitors. I chose them for the high quality H-IPS screen which is known for it's good viewing angles, a great base which allows for easy pivoting, and they are great for editing photos as well. Very happy with them.

I found a deal here in Spain from http://www.misco.es and they were only 430 euros each. Compared to 30 inch monitors, they cost about 1/3 the price of the 30 inch Dell monitors in Spain. When I start making big bucks trading, maybe I'll find the need to upgrade, but for now, I'm happy.

By the way, HP service is great. One of the stands on one of the monitors was not holding it perfectly horizontal. I called HP up at 4pm on Wednesday, and at 2pm the next afternoon, I had the brand new stand, and they took care of all the shipping costs. Top rate service...

Happy Trading!

Hi Folks,

I am looking to create an LCD monitor array, and would love some opinions as to what your favorite setup is.

At the moment I found a great deal on some 20" LG L2000CP LCD's with a resolution of 1600x1200. Since I would like to buy good quality panels as I also do photographic editing, these seem to be the best choice here in Spain as I can get them for 280 Euros each. I was thinking of getting three of them.

My question is for those who have used both 24" and 20" monitors. Will I be happy with this array to start out with, or should I consider getting 24" monitors that have a resolution of 1920x1200 which would allow more bars on the screen looking left to right, and for the market profiles?

Getting high quality 24" screens will cost quite a bit more as well, and I'm not sure it's worth it...

At first sight the 24" panels seemed a bit big to put 3 across a desk, but am curious if anyone has a recommendation about this.

I have a feeling I'll be able to more easily monitor things happening on the 20" screens which will take up less space and not be so wide.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

David

PS. I mostly focus on scalping the Euro Bund with charts open of the DAX, DJ EuroStoxx, Schatz, S&P, Market Profile, etc...and currently I'm just using a laptop. I'll be relegating the laptop to extraneous tasks and will be getting another PC for the monitor array.

I've got 6 24in widescreen LG Flatrons. I pretty much have all the charts up that you mentioned too as i trade an array of eurex products and have multiple times frames up for each as well as a news feed.

At the moment tho i'm being pretty lazing and just trading ES as the volume on eurex is pretty crap at the moment, and plus i just can't be arsed getting up so damn early, so i'm actually only using 3 of my monitors... :)