Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

snackly

Is There an App I Can Use Just to Get Time and Sales from IB?

I am using MultiCharts which I like perfectly with my IB. And I'm using ButtonTrader for order entry.

I basically need two more windows, one is Time and Sales and the other is a window showing my current IB account details (margin, equity, etc.).

Is there an app out there that I could just use for those two purposes?

Yes, IB's TWS has both.

Now I'm being told that IB doesn't offer streaming time and sales!!! Wth? That seems like a major flaw in their platform.

I'd also mention that my original post should have been more clear. I am looking for anything but TWS, which I have found to be a kludgy, slow and just unbearable user experience.

Now I'm being told that IB doesn't offer streaming time and sales!!! Wth? That seems like a major flaw in their platform.

If IB was a datafeed provider then it would be a flaw. But they are not; they are a broker providing customers streaming data. From that viewpoint, their datafeed is excellent for the price you pay. If you need true realtime data, you will need to use a data provider like DTN, or e-signal which will cost at least $100 a month.

What you really need to ask yourself is how important receiving true real time data is for your type of trading? Have you already determine that receiving data 5 times a second like at IB is not working for your style of trading and that only receiving true real time data will work?

Be careful not to get caught up in what are the best tools to use before you have figure out what kind of trading and time frame you are going to do.

If IB was a datafeed provider then it would be a flaw. But they are not; they are a broker providing customers streaming data. From that viewpoint, their datafeed is excellent for the price you pay. If you need true realtime data, you will need to use a data provider like DTN, or e-signal which will cost at least $100 a month.

What you really need to ask yourself is how important receiving true real time data is for your type of trading? Have you already determine that receiving data 5 times a second like at IB is not working for your style of trading and that only receiving true real time data will work?

Be careful not to get caught up in what are the best tools to use before you have figure out what kind of trading and time frame you are going to do.

But IB does sell data from the exchanges. You can tick off every exchange feed that you want, for a price. Why isn't T&S included for CME Futures/Options? Why do I have to go out of band to get it? That doesn't make sense.

And also the 5 times per second, that is for quote data ticks, there is no streaming T&S. You have to query in a window from a minute ago.

I appreciate your candid suggestion though. Yes I have determined that I will be needing up to date streaming time and sales.

Given that, where is the best place to get it?

I did notice that IB offers a CME Floor feed. Is that the same thing?

But IB does sell data from the exchanges. You can tick off every exchange feed that you want, for a price. Why isn't T&S included for CME Futures/Options? Why do I have to go out of band to get it? That doesn't make sense.

I don't work for IB. I suggest you ask them. If you don't like what you get then don't buy it and instead of complaining about it, find something else which give what you want and buy that.

Given that, where is the best place to get it?

I have no need for a true streaming feed like this, so have not investigated that enough to provide you with an answer. Also "best" is a very loose term. What is best for me, is probably not going to be best for you. Start with contacting the bigger datafeed providers to see if they provide what you are looking for.

I did notice that IB offers a CME Floor feed. Is that the same thing?

Again, I suggest to go the source and ask IB and not rely on "anonymous" replies on an internet forum to get answers to these kind of questions.

Indeed now that I remember, time and sales are available on the TWS but not streaming. Either way download the free version of the quote tracker software you can get the data from IB station, just put the ticker on and select "raw data"