Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

charcoalstick

Filtering for Potential Trades

Would all depend on, what you perceive to be an opportunity. Be it support and resistance, moving average crossovers or pattern recognition. (Just to name a few)

From there it would be easier to filter down potential trades. I'd recommend checking out a nice website that has tons of stuff to filter trades, by the criteria you define.

http://WWW.FINVIZ.COM

Hope this all helps and good luck.

Guest forsearch

Try filtering your stocks using RSI(2). I'll leave the rest up to you to figure out the relevant associated triggers and their validity.

But then again, I'm focused on trading index futures, not individual stocks. Good luck.

-fs

Try filtering your stocks using RSI(2). I'll leave the rest up to you to figure out the relevant associated triggers and their validity.

-fs

RSI(2)- WOW that has to be one mindblowing chart! Quick hits eh fs? ;)

Guest forsearch

Not necessarily, when used on a long-term (daily chart or greater).

charcoalstick, the problem you'll deal with is that not all trades are created equal. You have to discover what works for you.

For instance, if you're a trend trader, a good filter might be 5 period MA above 30 period MA. This, of course, wouldn't be used alone, but would do a good job keeping you out of bear markets (for longs). You may look for overbought/oversold signals if you're a reversal trader.

You will be pressed to find a system that just uses conventional indicators (RSI, MACD, MA's, Stoch's, etc) and is profitable. At the end, you're the person pushing the button. Therefore, screen time is extremely valuable.

Speaking of indicators, try not to fall into a quest for a holy grail indicator. To my knowledge (and trust me, I've looked), it doesn't exist. If you create/discover one, I advise you to keep it secret :). Personally, I don't use indicators. Some people do. Again, try to find what works for you.

if you want a stock filter here ya go. hopefully this will give you an idea of where to start.

long - above 21EMA

shorts - below 21EMA

Inside day with high volume

the rest is up to you.