Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Need a Desktop Alarm That Goes Off in Set Intervals

I am looking for a desktop software that will set off an alarm every XX minutes and every XX minutes. I found one on Woodie's site but it does not seem to always want to go off.

I just need something to grab my attention based on the interval I set it at. Seems simple enough, but not finding much via google. I thought with our tech guys here, maybe one could just build something, or maybe someone can provide a link to one they recommend.

I just need something that grabs my attention and goes off every single interval setting w/o a hitch.

I haven't used these but they may do what you want?

http://alarm-every-minutes.qarchive.org/

A couple of those might work, so thanks Mr Ed!

I also found this one http://www.hiclock.com/

Not exactly as I wanted b/c you have to manually enter in every alarm you want, but once it's in there, they are stored. Just not as convenient.

I'll report back if any of those work for me.

I am looking for a desktop software that will set off an alarm every XX minutes and every XX minutes.

I am sure you have considered a simple timer indicator with alerts on your charts - you never know- some traders are so anti-indicator, they don't even want to use a clock :o

If this is a general purpose timer for Windows that you are looking for, this one called ClockWise seems to be good, you can sync the PC clock to NTP server and it has calender and stopwatch functions as well.

What features are you after brownsfan, is it a simple countdown timer with alarm like 5m, 15min, etc... ?

Regards

Simon

Simon - yes, I just need something that goes off every 15 minutes. Catch is that it needs to be set to a 15 min interval at a different time than the top of the hour. In other words, need the alarm to trigger at 10:13, 10:28, 10:43, 10:58, etc. etc. from 8am - 4:15pm.

Thanks for any help!

Simon - yes, I just need something that goes off every 15 minutes. Catch is that it needs to be set to a 15 min interval at a different time than the top of the hour. In other words, need the alarm to trigger at 10:13, 10:28, 10:43, 10:58, etc. etc. from 8am - 4:15pm.

Thanks for any help!

I will see if i can find something for you.

Regards

Simon

I will see if i can find something for you.

Regards

Simon

Thanks Simon!

There is a good example here - http://www.woodiescciclub.com/start.htm

Now, you have to scroll down past a ton of crap everywhere (nice site...) and about half way down there is a trading tools section. The Woodies Chart Clock is perfect... except the alerts work when they feel like it. But it gives you an idea in case I wasn't clear.

brownsfan019,

I am in the middle of programming a timer for myself, so I will put the additional features into it. I will finish the timer application after I release the final version of the Freeware calendar application that I released a few days ago.

I will make the timer program available only to the Premium members of this forum.

Regards

Simon

Might I suggest you take a look at smartclock 1.3 it is lightwieght and straightforward. I't does pretty much all you might want except you cant do the beep every xx minutes (that I am aware of, I don't have it on my laptop). Thats why I didn't suggest it to BF.

What I used to like when I used it was small digital display showing a couple of time zones. Always on top with transparent background and it goes away when you mouse over. If it had a repeating eggtimer it would be perfect.

brownsfan019,

I am in the middle of programming a timer for myself, so I will put the additional features into it. I will finish the timer application after I release the final version of the Freeware calendar application that I released a few days ago.

I will make the timer program available only to the Premium members of this forum.

Regards

Simon

Simon,

That would be tremendous!! If you need more details, samples, etc. just let me know and I will do my best to explain.

I think the woodie's clock is perfect for what I need, just need the alert functions to actually work. ;)

You don't need a specialized app to do that. Try this:

Go to Start->Control Panel->Scheduled Tasks->Add Scheduled Task.

Select "Command Prompt" as the application to run.

Set up the schedule to fire any which way you want (there's a lot of flexibility in there)

Open the settings for the new task, change the command that is run to the following:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /k "msg jpretori /W /V "15-minute check""

Of course, change "jpretori" to whatever your username happens to be. To see the reminder that will be displayed, run

msg jpretori /W /V "15-minute check

on the command prompt (Start->Run, then type "cmd" and hit enter)

To get rid of the black command prompt window that opens as part of the process, change the command that is executed to:

C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe /C "start /B msg jpretori /W /V "15-minute check""

Try these. Its years since I've used them but I suspect timer_lite would fit your needs.

The alarm goes off 20 seconds before the minute so that you can get ready for the bar to close. The Reference changes the start time from midnight if you don't want standard 15m intervals. You change the sound by changing the wave file in the c:\program files\special timer directory.

TimerLiteKiwi2.zip

this program is small and easy to use. not many moving parts!! ;-) i use it for standard recurring monthly reports, contract rollovers, options expiration weeks, television programs, even taking out the garbage. hahe. once you make the alert you can just activate what you need for the day/week/month.

it's also a great program if you want to minise pc strain by taking regular breaks away from keyboard/monitor.

alternativly you can also use your calandar function in mail.yahoo!! gmail and msn probably also have this function.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/228675

its only one file : PersonalReminderEnglish.exe

size : 449kb

the file is shareware with no registration.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

The ideal program has a function that I can tell to go off every X minutes vs. having to type in an alarm at every new interval myself. Example - if I want an alarm to go off every 5 minutes, I'd like to just tell the program - go off every 5 minutes; whereas some of the programs listed here do not handle that function. To do that in some programs, I would have to manually create an alarm at 8:00am, 8:05am, 8:10am, etc. etc. Time consuming to say the least. And a real pain to change later as well.

Not sure how, but I got on some holy grail trading email list. In a recent email they offered a countdown clock and I downloaded it. It's actually really nice and pretty much what I was looking for, but I have to look at their advertisement for this...

So I attached it to this post and was wondering if any of our programmers can tear it apart and peel out the ad stuff.

I have no idea how I even got this email from this vendor, so don't take this as any endorsement of their products.

Countdownsetup.zip

go get yourself a copy of 'CoolTimer', you can get it at download.com

i set it to go off every 30 mins so i can re focus on my set-ups.

You can customize it to do almost anything

FYI, if you're an Investor/RT or MarketDelta user, you can go to "Setup: Schedule" and create one or more schedules, that trigger at given intervals throughout the session (ever 30 minutes) or at specific times (10:30am and 1:00pm) and have the schedule trigger any sound (including custom .wav files that you produce) or various other actions (open specific chart, run a scan, etc). And you can create as many schedules as you wish.

http://www.linnsoft.com/tour/schedules.htm

Regards,

Chad