Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Trade Setup Through Tape and MP

Heres an interesting chart for today from the KOSPI 2000 index futures.

No real setup until the IB developed. Value was shifting higher and Nikkei had held within previous sessions value area with support at VAL. Sudden rush of buying on tape hinted of possible IB extension to the upside, hence long @ market.

First Chart shows Nikkei price action:

attachment.php?attachmentid=5891&stc=1&d=1207533195

Second chart shows KOSPI setup with tape and mp concepts:

attachment.php?attachmentid=5892&stc=1&d=1207533195

Third chart shows initial target level. Looking to exit at IB breakout. Not looking for a trend upwards so exiting as price leaves IB.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5893&stc=1&d=1207533658

nikkei.thumb.png.2f703dd98e0b5ef63008bd195999fedf.png

tape.thumb.png.f7a30187385ed752004f1c55d596fbb5.png

5aa70e5230236_ibextensiontarget.png.17f5c4d64295a385ed5963235001eb20.png

Exit 1 chart. Second exit was stopped out at b/e.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5894&stc=1&d=1207535127

Possible reversal setup as price fails to breakout of IB creating a double top, price & volume divergence. Probably should of just scalped this trade as it was based off tape.

exit.thumb.png.dd1fc721e54a0695ab351f5c76315fe1.png

We;ve all been there James lol. Frustrating as hell to see yourself stopped out then the market reverse and go in your original direction! You can only call them as you see them hehe.

Exit 1 chart. Second exit was stopped out at b/e.

attachment.php?attachmentid=5894&stc=1&d=1207535127

Possible reversal setup as price fails to breakout of IB creating a double top, price & volume divergence. Probably should of just scalped this trade as it was based off tape.

Soultrader - what's this platform you are using? Thanks.

James, I really like the way you've setup your charts! CQG looks like a very nice platform too.

You point out an area on the tape where some significant size entered, 300 lots, 100 and 30s. But each of these was on successively lower prices. 85-80-75. I'm guessing these were at the ask in the shakeout type area where you wrote "big lots appear on buy side" and under those orange diamonds.

What are the diamonds btw? also what determines whether your vol bars are blue or red (I don't see any correlation to the close relative to previous bar etc) ?

Thanks for sharing!

James, I really like the way you've setup your charts! CQG looks like a very nice platform too.

You point out an area on the tape where some significant size entered, 300 lots, 100 and 30s. But each of these was on successively lower prices. 85-80-75. I'm guessing these were at the ask in the shakeout type area where you wrote "big lots appear on buy side" and under those orange diamonds.

What are the diamonds btw? also what determines whether your vol bars are blue or red (I don't see any correlation to the close relative to previous bar etc) ?

Thanks for sharing!

Thanks! I do not entirely recall the tape on this day, but by looking at the picture I posted the big lots most likely hit the ask. Its not often you see a 300 lot on the KOSPI so I must of been alerted when this happened.

The diamonds are simply paintbar like tools. I have a set formula to help me identify rejection patterns visually. Its based on the spread of the bar and volume in comparison with previous bars.

The volume panel... red simple means less volume than one bar before. Blue simply means more volume than one bar before. Hope this helps.