Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Follow The Trend

What is your favourite film based on the Stockmarket ?

I know that this might sound a little corny, but I still think that "Wall Street" is the best Stockmarket film of all time.

It perfectly reflected the 1980s era or power and greed, and we all know that the characters in the film were "based" on "traders" of that period.

I could watch that film over and over again.

What is your favourite?

hehe... my favorite as well. I must of seen it over 20 times. I also liked Boiler Room although it was pretty unrealistic.

I thought the Enron documentary, "The Smartest Guys In the Room" was pretty good also. Didnt quite like Rogue Trader though, it could of been alot better.

I agree, Rogue Trader was a bit of a let down for me, with what should have been a brilliant storyline. Im not sure if they were afraid of being sued if they made it too realistic, but it did nt quite catch the imagination.

My favourite stockmarket character of all time was Gordon Geko - the devil in disguise!!!!

I think that there is potential to update Wall Street, and maybe base it on some of todays "celebrity" traders.

The only problem is that the original Wall Street was based on the excesses of the 1980s, which have yet to be repeated. Also, how do you replace a man like Gordon Gekko? He WAS the 1980s greed culture.

If you're deeply interested in the stock market or corporate finance, you should try watching "Barbarians at the Gate." It is a 1993 movie about the Leveraged Buy Out (LBO) of RJR Nabisco. It is based on a book by the same name. "Barbarians" is supposed to be a very good depiction of the whole LBO craze that shook business for awhile. I must confess that even being interested in corporate finance, I couldn't watch more than 5 minutes of it. Maybe it gets better as it progresses.

"Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room" was pretty awesome. I had a number of associates who went to work for Enron and some other energy traders. I saw a lot of similarity between the people in the movie and the Enron'ers I knew. My favorite part was the Mark-To-Market Black Box comercial Skilling made, "you just decide what you want your profits to be, put everything in this black box, and now you have the return you need." {paraphrased}

"Rogue Trader" was a fantastic book. The movie was a bit of a letdown. It was cool to see some shots of Singapore.

If they could only make a movie about "The Ugly Americans:The True Story of the Ivy League Cowboys Who Raided the Asian Markets for Millions." Now, that could be a great movie.

Nice thread,

Bam-Bam

* "The whole game of arbitrage is spotting who the a--hole is. If you can't spot the a--hole, well, then you're the a--hole." - Dean Carney (Ugly Americans)

As a fan of VSA and all things Wyckoff I would like to nominate Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. for its portrayal of professional players, albeit in a different but nevertheless related field.

Honourable mention to Trading Places (not the stockmarket but you gotta love it, "Lookin' good......". " Feelin' good.....")

Winner, for its portrayal of the emotions, on the buy and sell side, has to be Boiler Room for me.