Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

metalmaiden55

New Venture.

I have a venture Idea that I have been thowing around back and fourth that I am almost certain it will prosper in my area, Only thing is the start up is pricey. That has been the only thing stopping me from opening it up. Does anyone know any place that I can share that Idea with potential investors?

I think that you need to put together a small Prospectus type document to be taken seriously by any potential investor.

Like Soultrader said, you need to be very careful how you market yourself, to ensure that you give the right impression.

A well presented, good investment opportunity will always attract attention, although you could have the best idea in the world, not present it correctly, and nobody will take any interest.

I would agree with Follow the Trend in that your first step is to put together a document or business plan. This would provide further information about your venture with likely set up costs and returns. It would include details of the venture, who the customers and stakeholders were, goals and aims, resources required (not just financial, can be equipment, staff) and the risks with a contingency plan.

I think if I was a potential investor in a company or a venture, this is the type of information that I would like to see - along with some projected income.

Having been a banking exec for the past 20 odd years, I would suggest two things:

1) First get hold of a satisfactory confidentiality and non-disclosure agreement (to be reviewed by a competent lawyer) which everyone you speak to will have to sign before they hear a word of your idea; and

2) Seek your initial financing from family, friends and associates. Venture capital firms, even the smaller boutiques, are deluged with requests from budding entrepreneurs and frankly, most of them strongly prefer only those applicants who have some history under their belt of prior successful start-ups. They will, on occasion, take on a new project if an idea is just truly outstanding for its time, however you and/or your partners in this venture will need some background in business planning and management for them to even consider entrusting any amount of capital to your new venture.

The items mentioned by others here about a business plan with a budget, etc.. are all on target once you are serious and don't forget, those things are just as necessary for you and your venture as they are to the VC firm.

Good luck to you and if you really believe it is a good idea, then don't dally any further and get a move on before someone else thinks up the same idea and gets rich with it!

Happy Trading ;)

Having been a banking exec for the past 20 odd years, I would suggest two things:

1) First get hold of a satisfactory confidentiality and non-disclosure agreement (to be reviewed by a competent lawyer) which everyone you speak to will have to sign before they hear a word of your idea; and

2) Seek your initial financing from family, friends and associates. Venture capital firms, even the smaller boutiques, are deluged with requests from budding entrepreneurs and frankly, most of them strongly prefer only those applicants who have some history under their belt of prior successful start-ups. They will, on occasion, take on a new project if an idea is just truly outstanding for its time, however you and/or your partners in this venture will need some background in business planning and management for them to even consider entrusting any amount of capital to your new venture.

The items mentioned by others here about a business plan with a budget, etc.. are all on target once you are serious and don't forget, those things are just as necessary for you and your venture as they are to the VC firm.

Good luck to you and if you really believe it is a good idea, then don't dally any further and get a move on before someone else thinks up the same idea and gets rich with it!

Happy Trading ;)

That part that I bolded is the most valueable advice I have ever heard, Recently I just sold a business, and bought one - with in 2 weeks of eachother and my lawyer and my dad both told me this. The business I sold, I started by myself with very little money and put alot of sweat equity into it which made me a nice profit.. but anyway. The nondisclosure clause and confidentiality contract is an important part of doing business and protects you from alot of things. I tell everyone I know who is thinking about doing anything like this now.

If you plan to disclose it over net, then you better be very careful. Lots of cases of frauds we get to hear on net these days. May be you would make a good impression on people with all the compiled documents and best presentation, but then, chances are there that people pretend to be very impressed and interested with an intension to cheat you. So, any such thing on net, You better be very careful!!