Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

rock

What does one actually do in a trading desk analyst position?

What would a trading desk analysts do at a fuel wholesale company? Here is the job description:

"This person will assist the Financial Traders in entering daily futures into the trade system, verify and check daily futures trades, run ad hoc reports from trading system into Excel, verifiy daily P & L and position changes, corroborate all numbers with accounting department and maintain all related spreadsheets.

Our ideal candidates will have the following experience:

Strong experience with Excel including generating charts and tables

Access and overall Windows operating systems

Strong Organizational skills with filing systems both hard copy and with Document Imaging

Problem solving skills

Stable work history

Strong work ethic

Ability to communicate effectively over the phone

"

I think the description pretty much sums it up. Any input?

I don't qualify for the job so I'm thinking of not even wasting my time and energy.

It seems like assistant work and data mining. Usually a team of traders will have a few assistants taking all sorts of information down on high/low performers, stock deslistings, insitutional block holdings, market sentiment, chart data of traders risk in excel, etc....

You will definitely learn alot about the markets they trade but you will probably go through shit work for 1-2 years.

Whoa! That was a quick response.

I was researching the company and every time I got the blind courage to just apply for it, I remember I really don't qualify in any way. What am I supposed to say? Oh I'm just a wannabe trader and I'd like to be your assistant. I don't know jack but I'm a hard worker and i can figure it out.

Well if you really want to dedicate the time to learn the markets... I am sure you can absorb alot of knowledge there. Just apply and give off a very motivated, hungry, and passionate image. Most finance guys I meet love hungry guys.

I dont think mentioning I want to be your assistance is necessary. But mention your goal is to be a top trader and that you are willing to do anything to get there.

I need a job and I was surprised to find a job like that in my area. Do pretty much all firms want to hear that their trading desk analysts have the ultimate goal to actually be a trader?

I need a job and I was surprised to find a job like that in my area. Do pretty much all firms want to hear that their trading desk analysts have the ultimate goal to actually be a trader?

No but from what Ive seen... it requires long hours. Our assistance had to retreive data from the Tokyo Stock Exchange everyday at 7:30pm so would be working till around 8:30-9:00pm. Also note the early hours starting from around 7:00am for traders.

You do want to give off an impression that you are passionate about the markets though.

No but from what Ive seen... it requires long hours. Our assistance had to retreive data from the Tokyo Stock Exchange everyday at 7:30pm so would be working till around 8:30-9:00pm. Also note the early hours starting from around 7:00am for traders.

You do want to give off an impression that you are passionate about the markets though.

Yes I agree! And also when giving the impression that you are passionate about markets, talk that up with certain goals you have set and achieved. That will reinforce that fact that you are not only passionate, but determined.