Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

sjatkins

non-Windows based data feeds and execution?

I have been trading options primarily for about four years. I am just getting my feet wet with some futures paper trading. I have done quite a bit of reading and study but still consider myself a beginner and relatively unseasoned. I have had some great wins but also some nasty losses, principally from lack of discipline. :crap:

One of my skills is being a very experienced software geek. I would love to get a fairly full data feed and do my own data mining and analysis for a while with the goal of building my own trading system. But most data feeds and existing systems work seems to be on Windows. I really abhor Windows. What are my options for getting good data feeds and order execution capabilities on Unix based systems (Linux and Mac in my case)?

I would also love to have some recommendation as to relevant books, software and such. I am playing with QuantLib and have excellent database skills.

thanks.

Hi there,

Had a look at opentick already? Maybe not the most reliable data provider and their support sucks. I asked a very simple question that could have been answered with little effort, yet they didn't.

Their service is dirt cheap though.

Good luck

goal of building my own trading system
Welcome to the forum. Thinkorswim has capable tools for options trading that can run under Linux. Investor/RT and Interactivebroker (IB) also supports Mac. There are also some open source Java trading systems, mainly for IB

Jsystemtrader : http://code.google.com/p/jsystemtrader/

Truetrader : http://code.google.com/p/truetrade/

For order execution you can use IB and zerolinetrader now have a Linux version of their very nice DOM. All java based....

I am not aware of any good data feeds that will run on non-windows platforms :(

If you're just looking for a feed and not a full charting software package...

Zen-Fire has a Linux version of their API.

Any FIX compatible feed can run on just about any platform since it's a protocol: and you could use quickfix or quickfixj or roll your own FIX or whatever... Trader Technologies has a FIX feed, there are others as well.