Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Tasuki

Ninjatrader need help setting up

Hi folks,

I've heard such good things about Ninjatrader (and its free, supposedly) so I decided to download it. The download and setup seemed to go fine, but when I doubleclicked on the icon on my desktop to run the program, I got a veritable litany of error messages (should be six PNG files attached showing the error messages). Is this all Greek to everyone, or has anybody encountered this nonsense before and know what the heck to do about it, how to get the program to run? Thanks in advance, Taz

5aa70e2a7cfb2_ninjasetuperror01.png.da7e7b237065f9e3e5f1079f27ff0d6d.png

5aa70e2a80582_ninjasetuperror02.png.fb1d85aeec2247fb2740ec4d4a5c7c3d.png

5aa70e2a84962_ninjasetuperror03.png.df8fa6561521d66369648385d80d4795.png

5aa70e2a884af_ninjasetuperror04.png.4a870a7388ab09f7cc198683425d733f.png

5aa70e2a8b0c3_ninjasetuperror05.png.39c0c68d07d5c7bb93f7d466cacd3c35.png

5aa70e2a8e081_ninjasetuperror06.png.2d87f073f2a89d9e49683330bd152ed9.png

Hi Tasuki,

Doesn't look like anything easy to fix, unless you haven't .Net 2.0 installed.

Go to http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/vb

the support is usally really good.

Cheers

Thanks, Sparrow. I guess maybe the problem is the dot NET thing. Never heard of it. Of all the computer programs I've got on all my computers, including several charting and online brokerage platforms, I've never found a single one that used this Microsoft program, if that's what it is. Well, I guess there's a first time for everything...I just hate using Microsoft products unless I have to do so. They have a bad habit of screwing up your registry. I'll check out your link and see where it leads.

Can you give me a clue what Microsoft's .NET does, and why Ninjatrader would require it (but not Tradestation, eSignal, PATS, InfinityAT etc. etc.).?

Thanks again, Taz

.Net isn't really a program but a framework providing all the means for data manipulation, drawing, etc. etc.

It's getting more and more common and isn't all that bad.

MS .Net 2.0 should appear in your installed software list if you have it.

I don't believe the installation would work without it, but it's the only thing I can think of atm.

Support at the ninjatrader board should be much better.

Thanks, Sparrow. dot NET sounds like just another way for Microsoft to get its claws into every program on your computer. You know what they say, "Beware of Geeks bearing Grifts." That's Bill Gates and comany, in spades. Oh well, if Ninjatrader's made it a requirement, I guess there's nothing I can do.

Speaking of suspicious, why would Ninjatrader make its program available for free? What do they get out of the deal? Apparently, it's a very sophisticated program. I can't figure out (yet) where they make their money.

Thanks again, Taz

Taz, I wouldn't know why it's all free except if you use it for trading with a broker.

Maybe they make enough money this way or are accepting losses to establish a big enough market share and then introduce fees. But as far as I know they have been around for a couple of years, so I wouldn't worry.

.Net is MS's answer to Java, it's fine imo and any developer can choose to take it or leave it.

dot NET thing. Never heard of it.
NT6x will likely not install if you don't already have Dot Net 2.0. Your problem is probably more database related, try re installing MDAC : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&displaylang=en

NT6x is not the most stable of programs (be prepared for crashes and freezes) and until recently the support and development has not been up to par with their competitors (ie TS). It is not free for trading unless you get it with a deal with some IBs (introducing brokers). Admittedly, what you get for free in simulation trading and charting is a good deal.

It's true that NT is not rock solid but I've had NT 6.5 running for several days gathering data without any problems.

There are some minor glitches(I'm using the beta right now) but nothing serious.

Where it shines are the charts they look really good, supports a lot of data feeds and brokers(only QT has more imo) and the programming capabilities are awesome.

Ninjatrader is one of the best among the free charting platforms, and is just lacking a few features that I'd love to have (multiple timeframe/instrument indicators/charts).

NT6x will likely not install if you don't already have Dot Net 2.0. Your problem is probably more database related, try re installing MDAC : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&displaylang=en

Monkey, thanks for the link. I went to the site, but it's a Microsoft website, so of course it's completely confusing. If I may, I'd like to ask a couple of questions:

1) What's the relationship between MDAC and this dot NET thing? Are they the same thing, or unrelated?

2) On that website link, where's the download page?

3) When I click on the "Validation" button, I get a Security Warning, which asks if I want to install and run "Windos Genuine Advantage". Generally speaking, I don't want anything from Microsoft that I don't absolutely need. Do you know what this "Genuine Advantage" is all about?

4) What does "validation" have to do with the software I apparently need to run Ninjatrader?

Sorry for the sophmoric questions, but my natural hatred of Microsoft is "validated" (pun intended) when I see them throwing curve balls at me. All I want is the bloody download of whatever software Ninjatrader requires.

Thanks in advance, Taz

Ninjatrader stores data in a database, the mdac is for interfacing with that database.

If you don't want to go through the whole process you can find the file on one of the ftp mirrors here, i'd suggest the edu.

Of course files from unoffical sources might contain viruses and maybe it's not even what you are looking for.

The MS genuine advantage is some sort of anti piracy thing, I've never used it myself.

Hope you'll solve your problems this way.

Of course files from unoffical sources might contain viruses and maybe it's not even what you are looking for.

Geez, Sparrow, I really appreciate the help, but some of those mirror sites contain the word "Russian". Given the terrible viruses that are coming out of Russia, I'd be too scared to play with them.

Out of general interest, what is the relationship between MDAC and the "Dot NET version 2 ??? Are they two names for the same thing, or completely unrelated, or interconnected somehow? Needless to say, Microsoft isn't going to provide any tech support for such questions.

Taz, they're two different things. About the russian thing, in the best case your program will display russian error messages if there is a problem :D, in the worst who knows what.

nastrovje