Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

aiki14

Request for folks residing in Japan

Wondering if any of the folks here who live in or have experience in Tokyo could recommend things to do or places to go. I'll be there wednesday through the following thursday. Staying at the Agnes Hotel near the British Consulate and the Lidabashi JR station. I have done all the tourist things already on previous trips. Then I'll be in Fukuoka at the Nikko, and would love to hear about anything to do there, we will get to the Basho for a couple nights but need daytime stuff for the days we're not busy.

Thanks

Hi aiki,

Ive been born and raised in Tokyo but have never traveled elsewhere in Japan. The station you will be staying is close to downton. You may want to stop by Shinjuku station as it has a variety of entertainment ranging from department stores, duty free, night scenes, bars, restaurants, amusement park, theaters, etc... But the area is huge so you may need to check to see where you want to go first.

Roppongi is another populated night strip and there is a traditional Japanese restaurant called Donpachi at Nishi Azabu. For about $50 a person you will have a pretty entertaining dinner. (night bars in the area too)

If you have some extra time, you may want to take the Shinkansen (express train) and travel to a few places right outside Tokyo. (1-2 hr trips) Unfortunately I dont recall the names of these places (hot springs, etc...) as I have never really left the city.

If you go to Fukuoka, make sure to try the Motsu nabe (pronounced Mo-tsu Na be). Its famous hot pot food in Fukoaka. I wont reveal whats in it so it will be a surprise when you see it :)

James thanks for the reply, I've had motsu nabe, and have no food aversions, grew up on tripe and the like, guts don't bother me. Have done the Shabo shabo, and Fu Gu as well. I have also been on the Nozomi shinkansen and to many other cities in Japan. I wish we were going to Osaka this trip, we love okonomi yaki, and tako yaki. Our hosts will probably pick the restaraunts though. Looking forward to the Sumo matches, that's a cool sport. I met a few of the sumo's last time I was in Tokyo, in a club. I am as big (taller but not as heavy) as some of them and it's always entertaining to see them in public.

I would really like to meet a traditional swordsmith or even a shinsakuto that is working currently. That would be interesting.

Sounds like you know your way around Japan :) Definitely enjoy the trip to Japan. Btw, are you visiting this week?

I am here. Staying at the Agnes Hotel on Kagurazaka and Sotoburi Dori.