Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Reaver

So who do you think will be the next president of the USA?

....and with that said...who do you WANT to be the next president?

Of course I respect the secret ballot process...this is only directed at those who feel comfortable answering....

Right now,

I like Obama and Ron Paul....Ron Paul ran as a Libertarian in 1988 I believe....I like what he has to say about taxes,etc....

Obama, I like him because he keeps it real. He hasn't had a chance to be corrupted by the political system...

Who do I think will win?

Hell...I can't really even answer my own question...there are so many variables at play.

I dont follow US politics as much as before since moving to Japan. But it is pretty interesting that there is a possibility to see the first African American or female president of the United States. I am very supportive of this so would like to see either Obama or Clinton win.

I'm not really informed on US politics but doesn't the middle of your country vote red? Only the coasts vote blue don't they? Republican's should therefore do pretty well but I don't know who's running. If I had to pick between Clinton or Obama I'd say Clinton would win.

Yeah I am not sure what the consensus really is myself right now...but the thing I like about Ron Paul is his taking a strong stance against the IRS and some of the unconstitutional things it does, yet no one stops them....one day as a full time trader, I will be happy if he is able to make some reforms to their tax structure.

Our elections here in Aus are now set for November 24. Looks like everyone is goin to the polls soon! I'm gonna do the penis vote this year. I hate everyone so my ballot will display a large phallus on it (voting is compulsory here in Aus).

ha ha that sounds pretty funny....

Is that a common practice? The penis vote that is? LOL I guess that would be an effective way to express your dislike for the choice of candidates. LOL

LOL That's awesome!

Too bad we don't have paper ballots in FL or else I'd be writing little personal notes to the politicians...

Politics is too corrupt for my taste. It's all about the money. People sell out for anything in our government it seems....just look how many politicians have been kicked out of office for committing crimes and being unethical recently. And when some of THOSE guys call YOU unethical, you know you're pretty damn unethical!

I like Obama, I think he's very smart and I would agree that he keeps it real.

Clinton is very smart too, but she's too political for my taste. In my opinion, everything she does in public is to boost her political picture. I know some people may see that completely different, but that's just how I see her and I don't really like that.

I dont follow US politics as much as before since moving to Japan. But it is pretty interesting that there is a possibility to see the first African American or female president of the United States. I am very supportive of this so would like to see either Obama or Clinton win.

Hey James, where did you live before Japan?

How long does your official election campaign last for in the US? Over here ours usually go for around 6 weeks with an official debate taking place between the two major parties. It looks as though the conservative party here will be thrown out. It was interesting to see that the Polish conservatives got thrown out just yesterday. Maybe theres a change in the world political climate?

Nick,

it's hard to say...the candidates are already campaigning for the Primaries...and then the nominees have their individual campaigns...It lasts a long time...too long...the election isn't until next year and they have all been out their beating the streets for a while now already...

Ok Nate, you'll have to give me a crash course on the US political system. What are the primaries, and how do they differ from the individual campaigns?

Here in Aus we have our elections all in one lump (apart from state elections). Each electorate votes for the representative form the political party that they choose. The party with the majority of seats wins government and the leader of that party then becomes our Prime Minister.

The number of seats we have at parliament is determined by the number of people in a geographical area for each electorate. The more populus states therefore have a larger number of representatives in the lower house.

The senate here has two representatives from each state regardless of each states population.

Our Governor General is the most senior official as he is the Queen's repersentative here in Australia and has the power to dissolve parliament and fire the Prime Minister if he or she is doing an unsatisfactory job (It happened here in the 70's once).

Is our system very different from yours?

As it stands now I think Clinton is most likely, the republicans are certainly running against her, and after the Cheney administration's disastrous handling of Iraq, and the religious right threatening a third party, I don't see them winning. JMHO

Ok Nate, you'll have to give me a crash course on the US political system. What are the primaries, and how do they differ from the individual campaigns?

Here in Aus we have our elections all in one lump (apart from state elections). Each electorate votes for the representative form the political party that they choose. The party with the majority of seats wins government and the leader of that party then becomes our Prime Minister.

The number of seats we have at parliament is determined by the number of people in a geographical area for each electorate. The more populus states therefore have a larger number of representatives in the lower house.

The senate here has two representatives from each state regardless of each states population.

Our Governor General is the most senior official as he is the Queen's repersentative here in Australia and has the power to dissolve parliament and fire the Prime Minister if he or she is doing an unsatisfactory job (It happened here in the 70's once).

Is our system very different from yours?

Nick,

Actually for the most part, the systems are very similar...

Primaries are basically the time period where each party Democrat and Republican picks their strongest candidate to run head to head for the presidency....

Right now Clinton, Obama,etc for the democrats are competing for the democratic nomination as a presidential candidate, and Giuliani, Thompson, etc are running for the republican position...so whoever wins the primaries then runs for president against the other party's winner......that's when all the bumpr stickers and crap start coming out. ha ha

That doesn't bother me at all.

And that's coming from someone who still gets goosebumps every time he hears the Star Spangled Banner.

The way yellow journalism runs rampant in this country, there is no telling what was going on....same reason no one hears anything about Ron Paul....the media picks who they want to run...and win.

That doesn't have anything to do with how Obama feels about this country in my opinion. I think one should take a look at what Hillary Clinton did in the futures arena back in the late 70's...now that is some scandalous shit. She can put her hand on her heart as much as she wants, but the shady stuff she had done in the past speaks louder than any "patriotic gesture" ever could. I'd never vote for someone that shady. As traders, that should really hit home.

That doesn't bother me at all.

And that's coming from someone who still gets goosebumps every time he hears the Star Spangled Banner.

The way yellow journalism runs rampant in this country, there is no telling what was going on....same reason no one hears anything about Ron Paul....the media picks who they want to run...and win.

That doesn't have anything to do with how Obama feels about this country in my opinion. I think one should take a look at what Hillary Clinton did in the futures arena back in the late 70's...now that is some scandalous shit. She can put her hand on her heart as much as she wants, but the shady stuff she had done in the past speaks louder than any "patriotic gesture" ever could. I'd never vote for someone that shady. As traders, that should really hit home.

It pretty obvious what he was doing. Are you blind????He has a right to do whatever he wants in America but I sure wouldnt vote for anyone who had the gumption to openly deny his patriotism and flaunt it at that. Besides the media apparently tried to keep it covered up. Here is the original http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1662530_1446035,00.html

This was during the national anthem....

You didnt hear much about it. He didnt look like he had any goose bumps...............:helloooo:

Nope, not blind at all. I think you should think about what I said before running your mouth however.

Were you there? Did you ask him what he thought about it? No? You didn't? But yet you still comment.

Hell, look at tabloids...they take things out of context all the time.

Yeah, you're right, I am gonna vote for someone who is a known crook, thief and liar, just because she puts her hand on her heart during the national anthem.

That is the thing about this country...freedom. You can be an atheist, a Christian, Muslim, or anything in between and that is fine. You can say whatever you want. You can't have it both ways and jump someone's ass because you disagree with something they believe. There is no legal requirement to hold your hand to your heart during the national anthem. I may not agree with his personal beliefs....BUT I am more concerned with what the president DOES and HAS DONE regarding important issues (ie soldiers dying, taxation, crime and punishment, etc) not whether or not someone throws the best fish fries and can impersonate a fake Southern accent, kiss the most babies or shake the most hands.

Nope, not blind at all. I think you should think about what I said before running your mouth however.

Were you there? Did you ask him what he thought about it? No? You didn't? But yet you still comment.

Hell, look at tabloids...they take things out of context all the time.

Yeah, you're right, I am gonna vote for someone who is a known crook, thief and liar, just because she puts her hand on her heart during the national anthem.

That is the thing about this country...freedom. You can be an atheist, a Christian, Muslim, or anything in between and that is fine. You can say whatever you want. You can't have it both ways and jump someone's ass because you disagree with something they believe. There is no legal requirement to hold your hand to your heart during the national anthem. I may not agree with his personal beliefs....BUT I am more concerned with what the president DOES and HAS DONE regarding important issues (ie soldiers dying, taxation, crime and punishment, etc) not whether or not someone throws the best fish fries and can impersonate a fake Southern accent, kiss the most babies or shake the most hands.

During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. -- United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10, Sec. 171

The context was obvious. You are blind! He doesn't care about America or he wouldn't flaunt it. He has a right to believe anyway he wants but he doesn't have a right to run for president and disobey the law and get my vote.

The man has NO respect for America. Why should I vote for him??

BTY I wouldn't for for Hillary either.

During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. -- United States Code, Title 36, Chapter 10, Sec. 171

The context was obvious. You are blind! He doesn't care about America or he wouldn't flaunt it. He has a right to believe anyway he wants but he doesn't have a right to run for president and disobey the law and get my vote.

The man has NO respect for America. Why should I vote for him??

BTY I wouldn't for for Hillary either.

I didn't recall hearing about his indictment for that. A code is not a legal requirement. You are illiterate apparently.

Well, maybe we'll have someone come along that's deaf and we'll have the three monkeys.

I never said I was voting for Obama, I was making a point.