Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

walterw

Playing with the VMAR`s open research

Chimp1_2.mq4

Has the weight set at 5 as Sundowner suggested and the colour corrected to Lime (which is actually true green). If you want the red and green to look stronger, increase their line thickness to 2.

There was a problem with the previous setting of 8, the smoothing gives time delay and you have the momentum indicator still showing green while you can see that the price is dropping. Using 5 reduces the problem but does not fix it.

You still need to close on a peak, when in an ideal world with a momentum oscillator, you would close and perhaps reverse on a zero crossing.

But the smoothing means that the indicator is showing a mixture of momentum and something like past prices.

Ideal may not matter, so long as your trading rule can cope with the limitations of the tools you are using.

Chimp1_3.mq4

A more volatile version that you may end up trashing, but before you trash it try increasing the smoothing weights and you may find a compromise you like.

Volatility is dangerous, the whole idea of an HE was to keep you from trading small swings. This indicator exaggerates small swings and that can have you trying to trade price swings that are smaller than the momentum swings. Dangerous and maybe stressful dealing with frequent "false alarm" swings.

Momentum x Time = price movement.

Its about how long the momentum signal stays on one side of the zero line.

Its not just about the first flick, its about which side it stays on.

Fast swings mean the price is going nowhere, stay out.

It has its uses but interpretation and rules may be important with this one to keep you out of trouble. Experiment with the settings, faster and slower, maybe find something that works for you. This one is more about trading the live ticks than looking at historical bars. The faster settings make it harder to interpret reliably (can drive you nuts).

Don't trade with 1_3 on its own, use 1_2 as your main guide maybe.

Having copies running in a 5min chart may also give you a useful perspective to balance the 1min view.

Chimp1_2.mq4

Chimp1_3.mq4

Hi Bruce... I am taking a look at this chimp stuff...

Could chimp 3 include a Weight DX input variable ? so far testing all this oscillators... nice job Bruce... cheers Walter.

Chimp1_4.mq4

Added WeightDX and WeightOut.

If large numbers are used with WeightDX it can cause "directional confusion", sharp little movements from plus to minus.

WeightOut can partly smooth these out but causes delays.

So many possibilities...

Not sure if something might be done to fix the "confusion".

Having both numbers high might produce something like an HE, ignores the small stuff, shows the pulls?

Still has the adxbars thing left out though.

Chimp1_4.mq4

Second time lucky.

It ULd it but forgot to attach it??

Now, this is a very interesting piece of oscillator we got here...

interestingly more positive above 0 plotting... find curious aplications to this funny mountains he creates... happy today its saturday, got time to play with this... cheers the Chimp.

Chimp2_1.mq4

This is a hybrid, halfway between price and price/volume.

Chimp2_2.mq4

This uses price/volume instead of price.

The vma versions have not been done yet.

If there is such a thing as smart money, then Chimp2 is more likely to show it up than Chimp1, will the differences have a tactical significance?

Chimp2_1.mq4

Chimp2_2.mq4

I asume Bruce, weight out is just a smoother, is it ?

Yes just a visual smoother for the displayed line.

Yes the "directional bias" is not good, it would need some thinking to figure out a fix.

This may be the source of the glitches that have bugged me all the way through...

higher dx values put the oscillator practically all above 0... unfortunatelly dont find any usage to that phenomena as my original thought was...

lots of variations here... I find some trend bias aplications on some normal settings... for chimp2-2...

I also find very nice clean timing aplications for chimp 2-2 on a 1 min chart...

say you had an x setup being built on a 5 min chart and want to do a "very specific timing" on 1 min chart...

I attach example with chimp2-2 inputs 5-5-1-5... also applied a signal line with sma 8 of chimp...

attachment.php?attachmentid=3512&stc=1&d=1192928572

its a very clean way of getting into a trade... no double guess here...

cheers The Chimp.

5aa70e135efe6_chimptiming.thumb.png.8acbfa9250160e5973ef143f7c0a4790.png

There is some trend confusion in all the chimps.

The adx was built to work with positive values only, getting it to work with + and - has only been partly achieved not fully achieved so far.

This is just a quick look to see if it is worth taking any further.

for example (this is only for scalpers)... if you want to scalp your way to 8 bucks/contract daily with trend and countertrend setups... this combo of vma`s plus this clean timing oscillator can do it prety nice...

attachment.php?attachmentid=3514&stc=1&d=1192936119

again, only for scalpers, at least on this time frame... cheers The chimp..

5aa70e136a0ff_chimptiming3.thumb.png.a445291d3cac631f79ccdc957144a7c8.png

Chimp1_6Mom.mq4

This one shows honest momentum in pips/min (for 1min chart) with no smoothing.

But if you add some smoothing you get a price bias favouring the trend as well as some lag, looks more attractive but it isn't reality.

Is a genuine momentum oscillator any use for trading, or does it just tell you what you already found out the hard way?

It will be interesting to see how vma reacts when it gets fed the truth with no BS...

Chimp1_6Mom.mq4

Momentum.thumb.PNG.37acdd5ee28bc69d8f8801014504dee8.PNG

Chimp1_6Mom.mq4

This one shows honest momentum in pips/min (for 1min chart) with no smoothing.

But if you add some smoothing you get a price bias favouring the trend as well as some lag, looks more attractive but it isn't reality.

Is a genuine momentum oscillator any use for trading, or does it just tell you what you already found out the hard way?

It will be interesting to see how vma reacts when it gets fed the truth with no BS...

certainly a wild chimp here...

ChimpMom1.mq4

This is as close as I can get to an honest momentum oscillator.

If you step thru the data bar by bar you should find that the momentum reading is equal to the difference in close prices compared to the previous bar.

It has two dummy signal lines built in which are preset to 10 pips and are intended to prevent the pane closing too far while not preventing it from opening further.

On 5min charts or on more volatile pairs you might want to set it to more pips.

MT4 does not send out every tick to every chart.

Instead it sometimes accumulates ticks then sends out the total.

You may have seen this happening with other indicators too.

They appear to do it when the price movements contradict themselves, so MT4 might be trying to minimize "noise" when they do this.

Might pay to be aware of it and rely on chart price for exact entry and exit because it looks like indicators can be behind on the play.

Despite being one of the simplest indicators to write, this one has been educational on what a complex job the platforms have to do when processing both bars and ticks. So for once in my life I'm not going to moan about platforms.

ChimpMom1.mq4

Walter

I did not expect this oscillator thing to turn into a search for truth.

Nor do I know how much use an honest momentum oscillator will be for trading. Its hard to know where to go from here since it now looks like use of smoothing causes all sorts of mixing of price and momentum to happen. Maybe I got onto a side track here but I have a fondness for indicators that stick close to reality and don't play games with it. Need to think about where to go from here now.

The adx parts have different side effects when you try to use them for a different purpose. I get pictures in my head of things that might be done but so far none of them are inspirational.

My thoughts on using ChimpMom with a vma (no adx) so far are limited.

They might look like the price was pulling around a number of vma lines, each being pulled by a "rubber band" of different length. Aside from the fact that all those lines would tend to converge on the current price during consolidation, its hard to picture a benefit from it. Without an adx or some fancy stuff, they are not going to have much in the way of HEs.

Just puzzling.

Walter

I did not expect this oscillator thing to turn into a search for truth.

Nor do I know how much use an honest momentum oscillator will be for trading. Its hard to know where to go from here since it now looks like use of smoothing causes all sorts of mixing of price and momentum to happen. Maybe I got onto a side track here but I have a fondness for indicators that stick close to reality and don't play games with it. Need to think about where to go from here now.

The adx parts have different side effects when you try to use them for a different purpose. I get pictures in my head of things that might be done but so far none of them are inspirational.

My thoughts on using ChimpMom with a vma (no adx) so far are limited.

They might look like the price was pulling around a number of vma lines, each being pulled by a "rubber band" of different length. Aside from the fact that all those lines would tend to converge on the current price during consolidation, its hard to picture a benefit from it. Without an adx or some fancy stuff, they are not going to have much in the way of HEs.

Just puzzling.

Its clear Bruce you came a long way man... I think you had created incredible great vma`s as also very interesting oscillators...

My latest ones where I find myself very identified had been the latest adxvma6 lines and chimp2-1 where I find a very nice clean timing oscillator...

Maybe is time to take a break Bruce and get more focused on some good setups with this great indicators...

I have some good clean aplications for this last ones and would like to share with you and my fellow traders some time this week...

If you have plans to design some other new indicators and with the great gift you have on programing plus your great willing actitude wich I am so greatfull, I can eventually tell you about some indicators that are as cool as they could get and would be incredibly usefull (dont know if they actually can be programed to mt4 )... but I should have to show you the great true applications behind them, to captivate your motivation to work on them... thats really up to you...

In what concerns to VMA`s I feel we got a SUPER arsenal to work with...

I dont have words Bruce to say you thanks... I feel I owe you a LOT on the riches you provided me on this vma programing... hope to give back on some threads on aplications of this real jewels... with real life aplications and keep posted as I evolve on the usage of them...

Thats my comentary at this stage of this great process we had come thru so far... cheers The Chimp.

Sorry for leaving litter everywhere while bouncing between walls...

Still enjoying some nice wee scalps.

Using 6Tick1 and 2 and hoping to start seeing useful patterns from it, time will tell.

Would still like to have a better handle on how far pullback will go but as with everything else, the market tries not to make it easy.