Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

walterw

Walter`s Forex "Trend Trades"

Please evaluate MT4 ADX_VMA indicators.

They have only the three main lines, not the whole fantail.

It is the performance of the Yellow base line that matters.

There are two files, one was tweeked to give more extreme flat lines for use in scalping 1Min charts.

The other is for 5Min or whatever charts, it is closest to Bemac's.

The 1Min indicator has-

ADX_Periods=24 gives more flat

VMA_Sample_Bars=24 gives more flat

Undershoot=40 alternative is 20

MA12_Periods=32 Bemacs crossover line used 24, 32 puts it further out from the base line

MA49_Periods=99 Similar to Bemacs outer line but using smas here, Bemac used emas

The 5Min indicator has-

ADX_Periods=16

VMA_Sample_Bars=8

Undershoot=40

MA12_Periods=32

MA49_Periods=99

Rename ADX_VMA_Eval_5Min_mq4.txt to ADX_VMA_Eval_5Min.mq4

Ditto for ADX_VMA_Eval_1Min.mq4

Tweek mainly the first two variables.

Avoid extreme numbers, no zero, no negative numbers.

Find out what works for you.

Cheers

Thanks for all your efforts Pyenner, had been triyng yours here on mt4... looks interesting... must admit I became visually dependent on the entire rainbow... do you plan to eventually make a version of this optimizations with the entire rainbow ? cheers Walter.

Thanks for all your efforts Pyenner, had been triyng yours here on mt4... looks interesting... must admit I became visually dependent on the entire rainbow... do you plan to eventually make a version of this optimizations with the entire rainbow ? cheers Walter.

It should be easy to attach a fantail template to it.

But want to hear what preferences people have so I can try to keep everyone happy.

OK let me brief a little bit where I am and where I am heading at this point of this research...

I had been doing some parallel research of a scalping alternative using Vmar`s... but at this point I just droped that alternative... lol..

I have decided that at this point I will only focus on the "surefoot" trade that I take from the 5 min chart... I will call this trade "VMAR Icon" Trade... so I will try not to mix other things but getting really focused on this aproach...

I am so glad to see other people are combining vmar`s with their own methods, thats the real idea here... offcourse as usuall I will share my entire specific aproach that you can take as much as you want for your trading, be it some aspects of vmar`s or be the whole thing...

So SO so so.... from now on my inputs in the thread will really be focusing into "VMAR Icon`s"...

I thought as I am getting more specific here I could share some diferent way of looking at the structure of the trade... this can organize the overall routine of the trader as he attempts to do a "VMAR Icon" trade...

Probably this will sound a little bit for newbies... but its nice to go into the basics as it organizes the entire process of this trade...

this was the original structure of our trend trade :

To open position :

_Trend Definition

_Pullback Definition (dips and rallys)

_Timing Entry Definition

To Close Position :

_Stop Definition

_Exit Definition

Now a trader that trades "VMAR Icon`s" would have basicly three stages of his trade : (this words are my invention, not conventional)

_SETUPING

_TIMING

_EXITING

this graph shows how the trend trade structure fits on this three stages that a trader will go thru:

attachment.php?attachmentid=2760&stc=1&d=1189393670

So notice how trend and pullback definitions are all discounted on the VMAR Icon Pattern... thats the SETUPING phase of a trade.. actually the first one on any trade...

The second phase is TIMING, when you have a setup in place you will fine tune your entry...

and Third and last, once inside the trade you are focused on EXITING being a stop loss or neutral trade or a succesfull wining trade...

this three phases are how the traders work are organized... very simple routine he goes thru... no confusion here... sounds a little stupid maybe.. but you know sometimes traders are thinking on timing when they still dont even have their setuping been correctly identified.. others had open a trade and are looking for new setups instead of monitoring correctly their exiting... so this is how a trade has to be managed in terms of FOCUS

First you are working for the SETUPING division of your trading company..

Second they re-asign you to the TIMING section, you dont have nothing to do with the setuping any more...

Third after you open your trade they send you to the fifth floor to the EXITING department where you will focus exclusive on closing your trade...

after that they will give you a brake... some coffe, maybe some relaxing and again the process starts on the SETUPING division once again...

Is your trading organized like this ?? Good ¡¡ you can call yourself a trader, you still have a mambo on the entire process ??.. well maybe its time to organize it.. this is one way you can implement it...

On next post I show you the basic structural routine thru the charts and your trading platform as you trade a "VMAR Icon trade"... this structure will be used on my coming posts about this trade so we can talk on the same language here... cheers Walter.

5aa70dfe214ba_howyoutradeavmaricon.thumb.png.69f1b5672304b0465dc659193c628fe9.png

So the routine of a VMAR Icon trade consits of three Phases :

_SETUPING

_TIMING

_EXITING

here is a graph of how he FOCUS on the information related to each of this Phases...

attachment.php?attachmentid=2761&stc=1&d=1189396437

So this simple information I give here aims to make you understand how important is to focus on each stage of a trade... for example on scalping futures its a must to have your brain trained to change from one stage to other so you can focus on each "specialty" as they unfold on a trade.. on futures scalping each of this stages takes sometimes seconds... for this forex aproach you have more time and its more relaxed BUT you MUST be focused on the stage you are in...

I do this type of input as I will show you normally first the 5 min chart wich actually responded to a complete stage appart... then the 1 min shows how I focused on the next two stages of timing and exiting...

I will normally NOT LOOK at the 1 min chart until I get an order to start timing my trade from the 5 min chart...

So here is the Routine :

1rst : I am ONLY looking at the 5 min chart for a "VMAR Icon " setup... no mambos here only one chart (the 5 min chart)... once the setup is there I go to the

2nd phase of looking at the 1 min chart for timing my entry... at this point I forget about the 5 min chart.. he told me there was a prospect Icon, I beleive him... now I just focus on the 1 min to get in... I got modern timing technology thru vmar on 1 minute... and wow I get in... NOw I am ready to focus on my

3rd phase... I dont worry any more on timing as I am already inside, there is no object on looking for setups at this point.. I am just on the full enterprise of closing correctly my trade be it good or bad BUT correctly.... after X output I close it and my entire process is finished...

RELAX... think positive specially if the output was not the expected... cheer if you got a great one ¡¡¡... give yourself time to repair your fisical, emotional, psicological and spiritual fit before you start a bran new process...

This probably is a little out of topic on the thread but I thought I could share... cheers Walter.

5aa70dfe26c14_Tradingprocess.thumb.png.a4c6679c104685d30d323c161b34fade.png

It should be easy to attach a fantail template to it.

But want to hear what preferences people have so I can try to keep everyone happy.

Thanks Pyenner for this... at this point I am still using the 2nd version from Igorad`s and yes did also adjust some thicknes and colors as well... cheers Walter.

Hi Pyenner... my question is,why is it that we cant still dont get the exact match of the vt version ? what does this formula on VT has specially on the horizontal effect ? I think Igorad`s second version its "almost" identical... but the horizontal effect still varies a little from VT`s ... any hint on the calculation ?... thanks for efforts... at this point I am sticking to Igorad second version as I am testing historical data..

cheers Walter.

My version used MT4's ADX function call as a quick fix.

Igorad coded his ADX to copy VT and that is the best approach.

I will be adding some variables into Igorads ADX and attempting to find the settings that best match VT. The big unknown is "how many rules did VT break when they wrote their ADX and the ema routine it uses"?

The rest of the differences should be minor.

The idea is to get away from manufacturers function calls altogether.

Then what you see in the code is exactly what you get, no grey areas.

Want to code the ema too, same intentions.

May even be able to improve on Bemac by having adustable ema options...

For now, Bemac still seems to be the best.

Walter

Good news.

A quick fix for VarMA_v1.mq4.

Find these lines at the end of the code.

VMA[shift] = (1 - Const) * VMA[shift+1] + Const *Close[shift];

VarMA[shift] = (VMA[shift] + VMA[shift+1])/2;

}

for( shift=limit; shift>=0; shift--)

MA[shift] = iMAOnArray(VarMA,0,MA_Length,0,MA_Mode,shift);

//----

return(0);

}

Comment out the top two lines and add one more line like this...

VarMA[shift]=((2-Const)*VarMA[shift+1]+Const*Close[shift])/2;

//VMA[shift] = (1 - Const) * VMA[shift+1] + Const *Close[shift];

//VarMA[shift] = (VMA[shift] + VMA[shift+1])/2;

}

for( shift=limit; shift>=0; shift--)

MA[shift] = iMAOnArray(VarMA,0,MA_Length,0,MA_Mode,shift);

//----

return(0);

}

The result should be almost identical to VT.

The equation is unchanged, it just uses one less array and less number crunching, but it is enough to make 5 pips difference on a 100 pip movement.

Hard to believe that double precision math inaccuracies made so much difference.

Hi PYenner,

Great job.

Can you put in improved version?

I could but it would also need to have a new tpl file for the fantail and I don't know which version people want.

1. Igorads version

2. Walters version with some line colors charged

3. Foreground reversed fantail, Yellow in front, Magenta behind.

4. Foreground reversed but with Walters changes?

5. ???

Walter

Good news.

A quick fix for VarMA_v1.mq4.

Find these lines at the end of the code.

Hi

PYenner is this fix is for VarMA_v1.mq4 or for VarMA_v1.1mq4 fixed by Igorad?

I don't know which version people want.

In my opinion walter's version Ad.2 is correct but evryone can make his own changes in template. I am waiting for attachemnt.

I could but it would also need to have a new tpl file for the fantail and I don't know which version people want.

1. Igorads version

2. Walters version with some line colors charged

3. Foreground reversed fantail, Yellow in front, Magenta behind.

4. Foreground reversed but with Walters changes?

5. ???

Hi Pyenner your spirit of perseverance its outstanding ¡¡ we should add you on the vip section of the "Tokyo Gang" ¡¡

about my template preference, I like the grey background with black line... the only thick lines for me are the black, darkgreen and magenta... thats my two cents here... great job Pyenner ¡¡ cheers Walter.

So from this revisited structure of a "VMAR Icon" Trade let me go thru the definitions once again... I know it might sound like a broken record, but I want to make sure you really get it...

Our new trade structure will be :

_SETUPING

_TIMING

_EXITING

very simple one...

let me start with the definition of _SETUPING

On this Phase we start to look for a reason to get inside a trade...

that reason is simplified to a very clear pattern wich actually is the ICON..

the icon as we already explained is situated on a very competitive area of a prospect move... actually on the begining of this move...

So to remember, this is how a VMAR Icon concept looks like :

attachment.php?attachmentid=2768&stc=1&d=1189442263

Now until Where on that Icon concept we can say we have a SETUPING ?

well on the graph below you can see that we consider a SETUPING being completly formed when we have a 1rst Intention and we also have a Pullback ... those two moves are conforming a setuping...

attachment.php?attachmentid=2769&stc=1&d=1189442616

Now we have to also add here a vital condition wich is the basic trend definition (black line above/below magenta line)...

Normally the 1st intention on the icon makes the bars cross the magenta line and you still dont have the black line on the correct side of the magenta line for basic trend definition... so we expect to see at least during the pullback this black line already on the right side of the magenta line...

attachment.php?attachmentid=2770&stc=1&d=1189442936

So in the above chart you got a very good SETUPING defintion in front of you..

on the next post I show you some real life examples... remember all this is on the 5 min chart... cheers Walter.

5aa70dfe5c561_VmarIconConcept.thumb.png.3a308dfff8aa1fceb7abde8b4c816036.png

5aa70dfe67693_setuping1.thumb.png.8cb572b6c6a36105d155efc1fe2a7a7e.png

5aa70dfe6dee1_setuping2.thumb.png.7229ec6c0ed424193c8f13e41fea6cd2.png

Here I attach some real life examples...

attachment.php?attachmentid=2771&stc=1&d=1189444020

attachment.php?attachmentid=2772&stc=1&d=1189444020

The blue circles are a SETUPING .... wich includes the two steps 1rst Intention and Pullback with the black line on the correct side of the magenta line... so thats the first phase of a "VMAR Icon" Trade... I believe its no brainer...

on next post a video explaining this... cheers Walter.

5aa70dfe718af_ex1.thumb.png.808442cd6a9ea6c840b026b6f99abb6b.png

5aa70dfe773c4_ex2.thumb.png.b8eb51bdc3ddd51805f14a018310abca.png

Hey Walter,

Great stuff here! I followed you over from ForexFactory. Been following LinuxTroll and the Cyrox Rainbow for a while now. It's a great method and I really like the additions you've made here.

I would like to suggest an alternative exit for study. The Two Bar exit consists of making your entry off of the 1 minute charts then going back to the 5 minute charts for your exit criteria. The way the two bar exit works is that your exit trails price by the greatest distance of the previous two bars plus spread. As with all exit criteria, this will perform better than the 1 min Xover criteria in some cases and worse in others. It's great for keeping you in steep moves with flat VMAR periods (consolidation). Hope this helps.

Cheers

Trade_VMAR_exit.thumb.png.2564b593cb9bee25e9e60288356f8738.png

Hey Walter,

Great stuff here! I followed you over from ForexFactory. Been following LinuxTroll and the Cyrox Rainbow for a while now. It's a great method and I really like the additions you've made here.

I would like to suggest an alternative exit for study. The Two Bar exit consists of making your entry off of the 1 minute charts then going back to the 5 minute charts for your exit criteria. The way the two bar exit works is that your exit trails price by the greatest distance of the previous two bars plus spread. As with all exit criteria, this will perform better than the 1 min Xover criteria in some cases and worse in others. It's great for keeping you in steep moves with flat VMAR periods (consolidation). Hope this helps.

Cheers

Nice input Master and welcome aboard ¡¡... could you expand on the explanation of how exactly you read this two bar exit... certainly exiting on 5 min would put our RRR on steroids... would love to see more examples on how you use it... thanks for interacting ¡¡ cheers Walter

The 2 bar exit is a stop method originally intended for longer timeframes (4 hours). It was designed to make calculation of stopping points easy and to lock in profit as soon as possible without smothering the trade and ending up with a fraction of the pips available. The beauty of these exit methods (this one, the crossover, etc.) is that they eliminate subjectivity (an enemy to most traders) and still provide for a good exit point towards the end of a move.

Once I've established an entry I'll put a stop in place on the 5 minute about 6 pips (GBPJPY spread) beyond the lowest/highest point of the previous two candles to the candle that is now forming on the 5 minute. (** Look at the current candle forming...count the 2 completed candles to the left of that one. Take the lowest/highest point between those two candles, add in an additional 6 pips cushion and that is where you set your stop). At this point if I need to go to the bathroom:beer::beer: or get a drink I have at least 5 minutes to do so. Every 5 - 10 minutes I observe price action and move the stop up accordingly.

See the attached chart for a couple of examples. Disregard the entries as I just chose those arbitrarily as a starting point, not due to valid entry criteria discussed on this thread.

Cheers

5aa70dfe9ba92_2barstopexamples.thumb.gif.bd89323a79f460f45ec7fce4c95ff79f.gif

Nice and simple Master... this would be a quite smart trailing stop... very simple calculation... would be nice if we could code into MT4... any programmers would like to take shot ? its a very simple calculation, unfortunately I dont know programing on MT4... nice contribution here Master... thanks for interacting... cheers Walter.

The 2 bar exit is a stop method originally intended for longer timeframes (4 hours). It was designed to make calculation of stopping points easy and to lock in profit as soon as possible without smothering the trade and ending up with a fraction of the pips available. The beauty of these exit methods (this one, the crossover, etc.) is that they eliminate subjectivity (an enemy to most traders) and still provide for a good exit point towards the end of a move.

Once I've established an entry I'll put a stop in place on the 5 minute about 6 pips (GBPJPY spread) beyond the lowest/highest point of the previous two candles to the candle that is now forming on the 5 minute. (** Look at the current candle forming...count the 2 completed candles to the left of that one. Take the lowest/highest point between those two candles, add in an additional 6 pips cushion and that is where you set your stop). At this point if I need to go to the bathroom:beer::beer: or get a drink I have at least 5 minutes to do so. Every 5 - 10 minutes I observe price action and move the stop up accordingly.

See the attached chart for a couple of examples. Disregard the entries as I just chose those arbitrarily as a starting point, not due to valid entry criteria discussed on this thread.

Cheers

Nice and simple Master... this would be a quite smart trailing stop... very simple calculation... would be nice if we could code into MT4... any programmers would like to take shot ? its a very simple calculation, unfortunately I dont know programing on MT4... nice contribution here Master... thanks for interacting... cheers Walter.

Now that you bring Master this exits on 5 min... I am looking at my classic "The Exit" definition on 5 min and it really brings noise quite down and more nice larger moves...(posible optimization of RRR) maybe we should consider an alternative for exits on the 5 min as well... So far I DO find precision on my Timing Entry at the 1 min with the Vmar edge... cheers Walter.

Here are the MT4 files.

VarMAv1.1 has had a small change, uses one less array.

The fantail template got the MA26 line (VT) line changed to DarkGreen and thicker. Should look like Walters fantail and behave like Bemacs VT version.

Sorry about the delay, new to this template stuff. :doh:

Rename FantailVMA1_mq4.txt to FantailVMA1.mq4

Rename FantailVMA1_tpl.txt to FantailVMA1.tpl

FantailVMA1_mq4.txt

FantailVMA1_tpl.txt

For anyone fiddling with ADX_VMA_Eval_1Min.mq4 on 1 min charts.

ADX_Periods=16

VMA_Sample_Bars=8

Those give normal type results.

If you double both numbers it is a bit like having the 2 Min VMA indicator showing on a 1 min chart, longer flat areas.

Ditto, 5 times is a bit like the 5 min flat areas showing on a 1 min chart.

Might help to have that idea to guide towards... whatever might help for scalping off 1 min charts.

For anyone fiddling with ADX_VMA_Eval_1Min.mq4 on 1 min charts.

ADX_Periods=16

VMA_Sample_Bars=8

Those give normal type results.

If you double both numbers it is a bit like having the 2 Min VMA indicator showing on a 1 min chart, longer flat areas.

Ditto, 5 times is a bit like the 5 min flat areas showing on a 1 min chart.

Might help to have that idea to guide towards... whatever might help for scalping off 1 min charts.

Thanks Pyenner for this very nice contributions... you got me lost on this last post... could you post me a chart of what you mean ? it sounds interesting... by the way I loaded this last template of yours and it looks exactly the same to Igorads 2nd Version... maybe the template its not calling the new indicator... I superimposed the FantailVMA1 (red line)... by the way the crossings between the black and this red are interesting jejejeje... :helloooo:

thanks for all this Pyenner... cheers Walter.