Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

MrPaul

Now that the Russell has moved...

I myself began to exclusively trade the ER2 a few months before it moved to ICE. Now that it's not on Globex I have tried trading Soybeans, YM, and ES.

In my opinion all of these contracts suck compared to the ER2. If it's not the range that's too tight (ES), it's the tick value (YM), and if it's not either of those its the slow thin trading (S).

If you mainly traded the ER2 what have you been trading lately and how are you liking it?

Am I missing something? ER2 still trades on CME, o at least I do every day. The change takes place in Aug 2008 not 2007

Really?

If you don;t mind my asking what broker do you use? Both that I use cannot calculate the required margin for the Russell mini on the Globex platform.

and that started on August 17th, the same date that ICE officially took over.

Here's the PDF that was emailed to me when I questioned about it:

http://www.nybot.com/news/pressReleases/files/ICEAnnouncesRussell2000Launch072507.pdf

It says August 17th 2007

Hi Mr Paul... I have to agree 100% with you... there is no future that emulates what russell used to be, it is a real pitty and I hope we can have it as it was sometime in the future...

My experience previous to this small vacations I am taking on futures has been with YM... it is the only future at this point wich has a more decent range to my apetite, thought the tick value I feel working for the half money but apart from that I would say YM has been my choice.... any way its not Russell... I even named one of my cats under Russell... cheers Walter.

"If you don;t mind my asking what broker do you use? Both that I use cannot calculate the required margin for the Russell mini on the Globex platform.

and that started on August 17th, the same date that ICE officially took over.

Here's the PDF that was emailed to me when I questioned about it:"

I chart and trade using Tradestation and have had zero problems with ER2 lately. I truly thought the changeover wasn't until Aug 2008. I read your attached file. Perhaps they are trading concurrently right now? But I know my feed and my executions are going through CME. Have not noticed a significant volume decrease either.

I am eyeing a new contract to trade, been leaning towards YM, but I seek a similar tick value/daily range relationship and nothing else comes close. So until a noticeable change of character takes place in ER2 (slower volume and/or liquidity issues) I will stick with ER2 for now.

MrPaul,

If the ER2 is not a possibility b/c you liked the movements and the ES is too 'small', why not trade the ES with more size and go for smaller moves? Just an idea.

Thats exactly what I would think. Wouldn't you love the smaller moves? I personally would. You can go into a position without it having a wild swing on a whim like the Russell is famous for!

Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm going to get on the phone and see what's up.

As far as trading larger size on ES I have thought about this as an alternative, but my edge with the Russell is being able to read it very well and actually be positioned on the right side of those wold swings! haha.

For some reason (perhaps psychological) I have a much tougher time reading the ES, at least at the same level of proficiency.

Guest cooter

Have you looked at the EMD mini-MidCap400 contract then?

Why not trade IWM? It moves tick by tick along with the e-mini russell. A little bit more commision but you can keep your routine.

I would say that going from a futures contract to an ETF is a big difference, even though the movements may be similar. I don't think it's as easy going from the fast paced world of futures (and the leverage) to an ETF.

what is wrong with YM? it has nice range and spikes to fill orders and run stops -- just like RUS does/did... this can sometimes be tricky but when in sync -- it is awesome contract because it trades like a hybrid --- trades a lot like RUS but correlates with ES nicely -- I like that combination. RUS would often be out in Right Field doing its own thing and show absolutely no correlation with anything.... for this reason, it was high maintenance to track that thing... you can watch the S&P's and have a choice with trading either ES or YM....

Guest Fulcrum

You want to see something VERY INTERESTING (and useful) .....watch the NYSE TICK together with the ER2....very cool! :)

Who would have thought....lol :idea: