Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

torero

The next LTCM?

If you assume that the $5B fund was making 10% or 1/2B per year, then the 1.4B they lost in one month would take them 3 years of trading under normal conditions to recover. They are not going to get normal conditions.

After the 1.4B injection, they stand to lose 6.4B and they presently stand to win only the 3.6B that was left. That 3.6B can only be expected to shrink before it might start to grow again. Would you trade with a tp that was half your sl, and would you double up to do that? Or would you close out and keep the 3.6B? It looks to me like they cant close out, at least not fast enough to save the 3.6B they report as "assets". Only 50% of those assets have to become liabilies and the 3.6B is toast. The 1.4B they lost also used to be "assets". Where is the up side, zero net profit for 3 years?

What surprises me is that these people are supposed to be veteran market players. Being veterans, you assume these are people use sound money management principles or conservative approach to investing right? It took me 3 years to be enlightened about the money management approaches but if these guys have 10 or 20+ of experience, what did they learn in between?

It looks to me like the whole industry is overtrading and undercapitalized.

Competition tends to drive all players towards the higher risk edge.

It looks like nothing was learned from LTCM.