Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

walterw

Is YM the next Russell ?

I dont know if Ym traders had noticed an incremented volatilty in this emini... (its moving like a bronco, similar to russell) could this be related to some traders migration from Russell to ym ? due to the changes russell has in front...

If some noticed this... please I would like to hear their comments... cheers Walter.

I don't think it's at all related. It's the underlying stocks that really move these markets and we're just seeing volatility as the massive up move consolidates. We're seeing the same thing in ES and NQ.

I don't think it's at all related. It's the underlying stocks that really move these markets and we're just seeing volatility as the massive up move consolidates. We're seeing the same thing in ES and NQ.

Ok.. thats what I want to confirm, because I am following Ym at this time and I am not that familiar with it, thought I see great action going on here...

It's more volatile than it's been for the past couple of months but less volatile than February/March. Just business as usual...

How about compared to 2006 ? do you see an overall higher volatilty ?

I see volatility the same as 2006 - volatile during consolidation but then a slow steady grind higher. It might appear more volatile because a 1% daily range of 13500 is 135 while a 1% daily range of 12000 is only 120.

I see volatility the same as 2006 - volatile during consolidation but then a slow steady grind higher. It might appear more volatile because a 1% daily range of 13500 is 135 while a 1% daily range of 12000 is only 120.

Thats a good point... Do you think that during the transition of russell Ym could see more volume ?

I think the 2 contracts are too different. YM is large cap, Russell is small cap. YM is ECBOT, Russell was Globex. I think the Russell will be traded on both Globex and ICE for a while so there'll be plenty of time for traders to make the transition. If anything I think Russell traders will be looking at other Globex futures to trade.

Guest cooter

NO.

The EMD S&P MidCap400 is.

Point/tick values on the YM are too small to compare to the ER - or EMD, for that matter.

NO.

The EMD S&P MidCap400 is.

Point/tick values on the YM are too small to compare to the ER - or EMD, for that matter.

Hi cooter, I never really payed attention to this one, how is liquidity and range here ?...

Guest cooter
Hi cooter, I never really payed attention to this one, how is liquidity and range here ?...

Strictly a daytrading vehicle.

Good range, but slippage is a matter of concern, given that the volume is comparatively low, with spread up to 3 ticks wide - so approach with caution.

If you are comfortable with the ER2, then it might be worth looking at - otherwise, for most folks, wait unless the volume picks up (assuming a push by the CME is made to have it replace the Russell).

Strictly a daytrading vehicle.

Good range, but slippage is a matter of concern, given that the volume is comparatively low, with spread up to 3 ticks wide - so approach with caution.

If you are comfortable with the ER2, then it might be worth looking at - otherwise, for most folks, wait unless the volume picks up (assuming a push by the CME is made to have it replace the Russell).

I am looking a chart right now of it and its very similar to er... only still doesnt have much liquidity yet... will be interesting to see if rusell traders will migrate to this one as it so similar... thanks Cooter for this information wich is very usefull indeed... cheers Walter.