Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

rock

Interruptions while trading

For the past 5 days I have been waiting for the past two trading sessions unfold in my favor. Actually, I should say that they would have. Today was the second session and I had "better" trades than the 1st session but I missed them all and actually ended up down by a tic after 2 trades. Both were good trades but I exited too early.

I got knocked off my horse and got out of the zone. The zone is vital to my success. I got knocked out because my wife swung the door wide open with our baby in her arms and entered the room to ask me a question. It took her awhile just to ask it. This aggravated me tremendously. Perhaps it was because I have told her a number of times not to interrupt me as it has caused me to lose my zone. I felt it was just disrespectful. She could have at least opened it a little and quickly asked me in a quiet manner.

I always assumed I would remain calmer as I progressed as a trader but I'm more easily ticked off now. The more I understand my "zone" the more I'm easily ticked off because I clearly know when I've been knocked out of it.

Is it just me or is it like this for everyone?

rock - it's hard to work from home, esp if you can't get your own 'office' w/o interruptions. I find that working from home somehow implies that you are always available, regardless if you are working. It's not easy to get around that.

I've often debated about just renting a little professional office space for this reason and others - more professional, none of these little interruptions, feel like you are going to a 'job' and need to act like you are at a 'job'. While we all like the freedom trading provides, it also can provide very easy access to you from spouses, children, etc.

I guess I look at it like this - if I was at my own office, would the interruptions happen? Maybe, but not as often and probably just over the phone (easy to hang up). Would I miss these trades you talk about? More often than not, no. Would these golden trades pay for the office and then some? It should.

I think it's a great question/dilemma you bring up. I know some will say that some can't afford the office and the expenses, but I would ask you Rock - can you afford to miss many of those trades you were waiting for? What opportunity 'cost' did you just miss out on? There's no right answer, but it is one that every trader needs to answer. A simple solution such as getting your own 'real office' could be the answer.

And not only that Rock, you start to resent your spouse and/or child(ren) b/c they just 'cost' you $$$$. That's a slippery slope to go down...

Guest cooter

If you are working from home, you need to setup defined "office hours" where you will be only "working" on your craft - that is, trading for a living.

Don't know about your domestic situation, but I'd say that if you can isolate yourself into a separate office space in your own home, like a basement or loft, or whatever, perhaps that would ease matters.

Whatever the case, you have to make it clearly understood that you will not take on other chores during the day without prior notice. It may upset your loved ones but unless you draw the line and make it clear that without prior notice (say a day or two in advance) you won't be available unless it's a clear emergency.

Just my two ticks worth here....

My situation its similar to what Cooter says here, a good clear conversation about the topic... IF ofice door is closed... only emergencies will be considered... the rest is your own world in between this four walls and you should create your habitat...

What Brown says its also a nice alternative but obviously it demands more costs comitment...

It is very important for the sake of good relations with your loved ones to comunicate on the issue and clearly negotiate a policy... other wise it will start as a small problem but over time it may cost you a great personal problem... hope helps some ... cheers Walter.

For the past 5 days I have been waiting for the past two trading sessions unfold in my favor. Actually, I should say that they would have. Today was the second session and I had "better" trades than the 1st session but I missed them all and actually ended up down by a tic after 2 trades. Both were good trades but I exited too early.

I got knocked off my horse and got out of the zone. The zone is vital to my success. I got knocked out because my wife swung the door wide open with our baby in her arms and entered the room to ask me a question. It took her awhile just to ask it. This aggravated me tremendously. Perhaps it was because I have told her a number of times not to interrupt me as it has caused me to lose my zone. I felt it was just disrespectful. She could have at least opened it a little and quickly asked me in a quiet manner.

I always assumed I would remain calmer as I progressed as a trader but I'm more easily ticked off now. The more I understand my "zone" the more I'm easily ticked off because I clearly know when I've been knocked out of it.

Is it just me or is it like this for everyone?

You must go further than just having a conversation with your spouse about your work hours at home.

Therefore, to enforce it to ensure she doesn't forget along with having a constant reminder...

Go to any big office supply store and a nice sign that blends in with the room decorations near the door and the sign should clearly state your work hours and a "Do Not Disturb".

Let her know in the conversation that she can disturb you for emergencies only.

Until you do that, you too are at fault for the interruptions because your not being clear with her and clear means you've gone beyond just a conversation (re-read comments about office hours sign).

If that doesn't work, consider renting a small office and the expenses for such going to pay that bill should quickly catch her attention because that's money that's no longer going back into the household.

Next, after a few years, you can do without the door signs and conversations because she will understand.

As for the kids, that's a different story but hopefully you'll be more adjusted in your trading in that interruptions by the kids themselves doesn't knock you out of the mental game sort'uv speak.

You should also consider getting a separate business line or an online telephone via Skype.

Simply, treat your trading like a business and those around you will see it as a business.

Mark

(a.k.a. NihabaAshi) Japanese Candlestick term

I had another talk with her about it and she seems to understand the situation a bit more. She actually suggested hanging a "do not disturb" sign on the doorknob. i don't know how a doorknob sign should matter but I guess thats the way things work. hehe

In the heat of the moment I flipped out today so I quit.

These surprise situations don't arise as often as they used to so its not as much of a problem.

I'm actually supposed to have the entire upstairs to myself and I don't have any neighborhood noise so I've usually got it pretty good as far as noise is concerned. I've looked into office space to get away from other obligations.

I think I will have a commercial office when I go full time.

There are many pros in having an office in the house, but I wonder if having more distance between work and home will outweight many of those benefits.

When the kids get big enough to turn a doorknob you may need one that locks, they will be happy to copy Dad, playing on the keyboard.

Consider keeping coffee whatever in your room, the less you pop out for things the better it reinforces the "gone to work" time/area.

...I've looked into office space to get away from other obligations.

I think I will have a commercial office when I go full time.

There are many pros in having an office in the house, but I wonder if having more distance between work and home will outweight many of those benefits.

There's benefits and disadvantages to both and I've done both.

However, what concerns me is that you said the following...

I've looked into office space to get away from other obligations.

If you have obligations during the trading day, there's a problem and having a sign on the door knob is not going to resolve those obligations.

Thus, when your at work regardless if its at home or at some office across town...

You should not have obligations until after work or prior to work...never during the trading day unless you want it that way.

If that's the case (you want the obligations or think its ok to have them)...they really aren't obligations.

Instead, your doing something personal to intentionally take time off from trading.

For example, I intentionally take time off from trading about 10mins every hour to re-energize sort'uv speak.

I use those 10mins to spend time with my family (spouse and toddlers) and I do not view such as obligations.

Also, I take a long lunch break from trading about 90mins long and part of it is used to take a short nap.

Once again, these are not obligations and I consider them essential for my longevity in trading the markets for +15 years to avoid burn out or worst.

Simply, the word obligations implies these are tasks that needs to be done prior or after trading...not during trading.

Mark

(a.k.a. NihabaAshi) Japanese Candlestick term

Yeah, I work from home and it was tough and still is from time to time. I managed to get locked in a room with occasional interruptions. I used to have a problem dealing with it, especially in a middle of a trade. Now, I just get out and stop trading or just put an OCO and walk away. I accept the interruptions and not let it boil me inside. It's irritating but I accept it like I've accepted losses, comes with territory. I realize that being with my kids is a good distractions from the stress of trading too. As they get older and become more independent, I'll have more time to trade anyway. I just want to take my time is all.

I know I can rent an office space, but I prefer to keep costs down (2 hours a day is not worth paying) to keep less pressure on myself to produce. I don't trade everyday anyway.

It was interesting to consider what the other posts have said about interuptions from the wife / girlfriend / childeren.

I have left my job after almost two years and from this friday I will be trading forex fulltime from home.

Before I agreed to move into my girlfriends house , I made it clear that I want no interruptions at all unless it is very serious. Since she will be gone from 8am GMT until 1800 GMT , thats not an issue , but it is something to keep in mind.

i know exactly what you mean by being in the zone, I have can be very intense and silent studing charts and price action and when i am thinking and i find 10 to 25 mins of time wasted trying to get back to the zone for each inturuption.

Summer is the worst time for me to trade: kids at home, market volume lower than normal, beach is way too near. Just walk away and be happy and look forward for more peaceful days without interruptions. I paid the price for trying to sit through these types of days so better save my sanity and money for other days where battles are worth losing money.