Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Ducky

Help Please - Weekly Market Indicators - Explanations Behind Movements

Hi All,

I have recently started work as an investment analyst in a big bank & am desperate to make a good impression due to a particularly bad first few weeks.

I need to get a concise explanation of customizable market indicators on a weekly or monthly basis. An example would be –

Week ending 8th January 2015

MSCI World Index – up XX% due to..............

MSCI Emerging Markets Index – down XX% due to...........

Bloomberg Commodity Index – up XX% due to..............

Does anyone know where I can source this or something similar to this?

Alternatively, if it’s easier to source, I would also be happy to receive this at a customizable asset class level. For example –

Week ending 8th January 2015

Developed Market Equities – up XX% due to..............

Emerging Market Equities – down XX% due to...........

Commodities – up XX% due to..............

Investment Grade Bonds – up XX% due to..............

Thank you in advance for any help & I hope that everyone had a very happy new year!

Excuse me if I've misunderstood you, but....

You've just stated that you've been hired as an investment analyst, and you're asking for someone on this website to explain the analysis of different indicators?

Isn't that your job? Haven't you been hired because you possess the ability to determine such matters on your own, through the knowledge that you've acquired through years or market analysis?

Please tell me that I'm missing something. I really want to have been overlooking something.

Axiom

I work more in the data/pricing space. The job title is misleading but that's how it is. The report would help to determine tolerance levels & explanations behind them.

Just realize and think about this for a minute.

You want to make an impression at your new job. You want them to say, wow this guy knows something. You want to increase your assumed value.

Now, if how you want your value to be estimated is by putting on display someone else's knowledge, because of your lack there of. Then, you are not only settling for the value of another man...but you are really allowing another man's knowledge(or lack there of) to rule you. What if the person you choose turns out to be an incredible idiot? Now you are the idiot, and rightfully so. Because instead of actually learning the material and using your own mind to form your own ideas, you've accepted someone else's ability to interpret such information to be superior to yours.

Just think about this. If in fact this is a real situation, think about what you're doing. It is so flawed, you might scrape by this time but what's at the root of this is going to be the rope around your neck one day.

Axiom

I'm not here to steal other peoples knowledge, I want to learn from it. I'm just asking for a weekly summary of market events at asset class or indicative benchmark level, not some top secret idea.

I'm not here to steal other peoples knowledge, I want to learn from it. I'm just asking for a weekly summary of market events at asset class or indicative benchmark level, not some top secret idea.

Stealing knowledge, even top secret knowledge should be encouraged. Just a word though... your post has been out there for week now. You may not get fired for what you don't know, but you may get fired for wasting your time. Possibly you are looking in the wrong place... just a thought.

edit: my comment bumped you back to the top of the list... you can thank me later... still think you're wasting your time though.

Edited by jpennybags