Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

brownsfan019

Getting started in web design / graphic design

I'm interested in learning more about designing web pages and graphic design. I understand that Adobe is king here, so what would you recommend for someone new to this? Just not even sure where to start... For example, Adobe's website has quite a few programs available, but not sure what is recommended to 'get your feet wet' and not feel overwhelmed.

Thanks!

brownfan019, web page design has gotten very complicated nowadays. If you can limit down to what you want to achieve, then it can save you a lot of time on not going to the wrong direction.

Design a more graphical web page and designing a more database related web page take different tools and talents.

and they all take time to master.

weiwei

wei - I understand that this, just like anything worth doing, takes time to learn... With that being said, I would like to start to get my feet wet b/c I've always wanted to be able to create a website from nothing or create graphics, pictures, etc. More of a hobby if you will.

As for where to start and such, I would just like to be able to take a blank 'piece of paper' and create a basic website for now. I don't need it to do much right now, I just want to be able to say that I created a site from nothing. Something that can have multiple webpages, some graphics, text, etc. Not much more than that for now.

Thanks for the help!

brown, my sister has been doing this for a few years now and here are some reccos from her:

Simply enough... Photoshop and Dreamweaver. Photoshop can slice all your images and put them into HTML for you which can then just go straight into dreamweaver where you can add content.

Pretty simple.

brownsfan019, to build simple website with minimal effort try using those web site building tool offer by hosting company.

register.com and netfirms.com are 2 of the company that offer that function.

will find you more option when I get in contact with a pro on this.

BTY, Brown's Fan, how about Eric Matcalf on punt return. I remember he single handedly won a game for Brown just on punt return.

weiwei

Brownsfan019, Got this from a experience designer.

there are the tools that she use.

Dreamweaver, Flash and fireworks. Photoshop has gain a lot momentum lately.

weiwei

Hi brownsfan,

There is also a solution of a CMPS (Content Management & Portal System) which is fully customizable with an admin control panel. For example, I am using a board system in combination with a CMPS for this site. This allows me to add blocks, sections, etc.. without professional knowledge of web design. There are plenty of different CMPS solutions out there. You might want to take a look into as well :)

Photoshop is essentail to learn. For more detailed things CAD is pretty cool but might be over the top as well as really expensive to buy. It depends on what you want to do really. My mate uploads his CAD images onto his website for clients to see. He's an industrial designer/architect. But for all intensive purposes Photoshop and Dreamweaver are sufficient for basic stuff.

you might want to check out GIMP instead of photoshop if you just want to do it more for a hobby.

GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program

its basically a free version of photoshop. if you have never used photoshop before its fine, its a pain if you know photoshop from a UI perspective but its free.

you might even want to start out learning basic html instead of an editor. it will take a little longer but once you know some you can just copy a site design you like.