Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

The Healthy Trader Let's share information on what it takes to maintain a healthy trading lifestyle. To be at the top of your game you have to take care of yourself -- here we'll all share how we do that, or should do that.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:26 AM   #9

Ignore this user

Re: Keeping Yourself Fuelled for Trade

This is a good discussion. Sometimes just talking about it and being consciously aware is all it takes.

Case in point - today is probably some of my worst trading in a few months - trading Crude Oil futures - it's jumping all over, slippage is terrible today and no move seems sustained - I've been whipsawed numerous times, and had price hit my limit price and not be filled multiple times - which almost never happens in Crude.

So I might just want to eat some garbage to make myself feel better

But, in the spirit of this thread I'll acknowledge my woes today but not make that leap to the darkside -- at least that way I'll have something positive today!

MMS

Featured Brokers include:
NinjaTrader

Featured Services:
INO Trading Course
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MadMarketScientist For This Useful Post:
TheNegotiator (02-28-2011), Tradewinds (02-28-2011)
Old 02-28-2011, 06:13 PM   #10

Ignore this user

The secret for me is realizing that I start trading early -- therefore I'm going to be starving by mid morning so I make sure to have some reasonable food onhand and nearby to snack on. Otherwise I'll never make it to lunch and if I do you can bet I'll go overboard since I'd be so damn hungry.

Same with afternoon -- a couple of times I reach for a healthy snack and I get to dinner much easier.

Drinking water is great as well but I'll admit I limit it in the morning since I'm concerned my bathroom breaks will occur right when a good trade arises.....now maybe I need a laptop in the bathroom but that's another topic.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:27 PM   #11

Ignore this user

There are so many benefits from the natural food we eat that are overlooked. I'm not a health nut, but I do exercise, get adequate sleep, and eat relatively healthy. Everything in moderation. Once your body gets used to a lifestyle it takes a lot of small changes to make the shift. One step at a time. Treat your body kind and it will thank you.
Old 03-04-2011, 12:38 AM   #12

Ignore this user

Sleep is a whole other story. That's something I need to figure out how to get more of -- I know 7-8 hours is what is considered ideal. I'm lucky to grab 6. There's just too much to do. Thankfully after all these years I still really enjoy trading despite the ups and occasional downs, and I still have little trouble motivating out of bed in the a.m. but you make a good point - - diet and exercise matter -- but sleep is probably as critical. Just don't ask me to take my own advice!

MMS

Featured Brokers include:
NinjaTrader

Featured Services:
INO Trading Course
Old 03-04-2011, 02:57 AM   #13

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMarketScientist »
Sleep is a whole other story. That's something I need to figure out how to get more of -- I know 7-8 hours is what is considered ideal. I'm lucky to grab 6. There's just too much to do. Thankfully after all these years I still really enjoy trading despite the ups and occasional downs, and I still have little trouble motivating out of bed in the a.m. but you make a good point - - diet and exercise matter -- but sleep is probably as critical. Just don't ask me to take my own advice!

MMS
Checkout some of the science behind sleep cycles. As humans we complete a full sleep cycle (go through all stages) in roughly 90-mins. I personally break up my night 4x a week into 2 chunks, I sleep for 4.5 hours wake up trade the euro open and then grab another 1.5 or 3 hours before trading the NYSE open. I find I'm more alert and productive when I wake-up on a 90-min increment and feel more refreshed.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:07 AM   #14

Ignore this user

Tim, sleep is a very interesting topic! I know that not only do traders have to deal with time differences depending on what/how they trade, but also the stress factor in preventing normal sleep patterns. So how do you go about breaking your night up into 2 chunks like that? Is it something you just get used to or is it actually something you can coerce your body into accepting by applying certain techniques?

TheNegotiator.

Sovereign Debt Yield Spreads

To contribute is to learn. Don't be that student who always sits at the back of the class.

Day Trading the E-mini Futures
- Discussing and trading the E-minis every day!

Bigger Picture in E-minis Discussion
- Tryin' to see the wood for the trees ;)
Old 03-04-2011, 05:25 AM   #15

Ignore this user

It's actually really easy (for me that is). By waking up on a 90-min interval you have completed a full sleep cycle and will feel refreshed. A 4.5hr chunk and a 3-hr chunk works well for me. On days where I train hard on the bike I will do a 6-hr and a 1.5-hr. I do this 4x a week. Regardless, once you get into a regular sleep pattern your body gets used to it and it becomes very easy. Thinking back, the first night I had a hard time falling asleep early (because I was excited) but from then on out it's not bad at all.
Old 03-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #16

Ignore this user

"Lunch is for sissies!" The Gecko

I become a monstrous risk taker when hungry. You have got to eat something proper!

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: