Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

iPhone Thread

Never seemed to like the IPOD as much but recently purchased an iPhone. It is hands down the best cellphone out on the market.

Are there any other iPhone users here on TL? I have a second version 3G iPhone... curious to know how I can jailbreak it to read offline pdf files stored on my iPhone.

Also, just a thought but couldn't skype build a gadget for users to call through skype in the iPhone? Obviously the service providers would be pissed off but it would be interesting to see this happen.

Any other recommended gadgets? Thanks.

I love the iphone, too. Like you, have the 2nd edition 3G. I traded in a BlackBerry Curve for it. It's the best phone I've ever owned. Simply love it.

If you figure out how to Skype off it, let me know. That would be quite cool. I'd owe you a beer or two, or three :)

Eiger

What is your feelings towards your reception? Live in an area where I barely pick up a signal...my HTC Tilt does a decent job - but its a brick. Have been wanting to get the new I-phone - but friends with the 1st version cant get bars while at my house...so have refrained from getting the phone.

I think it depends on the carrier. I had Sprint, which was fine in NYC, but I couldn't make a call from my home when I moved to Connecticut. I have no worries with the iphone, which is AT&T. I've never dropped a call in the 3 months I've had it, and I've used it thus far in CT, Dallas, NYC, New Hampshire, Boston, NJ, and San Francisco.

Eiger

I love the iphone, too. Like you, have the 2nd edition 3G. I traded in a BlackBerry Curve for it. It's the best phone I've ever owned. Simply love it.

If you figure out how to Skype off it, let me know. That would be quite cool. I'd owe you a beer or two, or three :)

Eiger

:) I have figured out a way to skype off it and my service provider is going to kick my ass.

The app is around $30 and provided by Shape Services. The catch is this:

"When you make a call both the contact person and you will get the call. This is because when you use IM+ for Skype you are actually making two calls: one - to Skype contact on PC and another - to your callback number. As you receive an incoming call to your callback phone you will be charged for it. The call is possible due to Skype credit on your SkypeOut account."

The key is to input a landline as the callback number. Get an unlimited calls to landline subscription via skype for $12.95 a month. Make sure to get the full internet package of your phone provider and then dial away.

I personally use skpe on the iphone to dial overseas only. Skype to skype will cost you money on the iphone.

Reading PDF's

I also figured out how to do this with ease. There is an app on iTunes called "Folders" for around $2. This app allows you to download pdf files via the web or direct from your pc. Then itll allow you to open ebooks offline, stored directly on your iphone.

Good stuff, James - Thanks. I use Skype a lot to call overseas and am on my way to China tomorrow, so this will be a big plus :)

Eiger

Hi Eiger,

Not sure what your service package is like, but in Japan firms charge by the amount of data received. I am under an all you can use package but if I travel overseas and access the net via iPhone the prices are insane. So make sure to check.... because I could never use my iPhone when traveling elsewhere. I use it only in Japan and skype to call overseas from Japan only.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not surprized that the rate are outragous. We are going to try to get a sim card for the iPhone when we are there. I am hoping we can get an inexpensive one for the few weeks we are traveling through China and Hong Kong.

Eiger

Thanks for the heads up. I'm not surprized that the rate are outragous. We are going to try to get a sim card for the iPhone when we are there. I am hoping we can get an inexpensive one for the few weeks we are traveling through China and Hong Kong.

Eiger

Yea, I think that ought to do the job. Please let me know how it turns out. The iPhone is the only phone in Japan that uses a universal sim card which allows me to do the same thing for future reference. All the other phones carry their own Japanese version sim card which makes it impossible to implement a universal sim card. Thanks.

I love my iPhone. Just wish they would enable a flash player so I could watch TL videos from my phone. Soul, plans here in the U.S. are unlimited data. As long as that remains true, the iphone can't be beat.

I have yet to try this but seems like there are a few solutions:

1. http://lifehacker.com/344545/play-flash-media-on-your-iphone-or-ipod-touch-with-itransmogrify'>http://lifehacker.com/344545/play-flash-media-on-your-iphone-or-ipod-touch-with-itransmogrify

2. http://lifehacker.com/344545/play-flash-media-on-your-iphone-or-ipod-touch-with-itransmogrify

3. http://imobilecinema.com/

4. [ame=http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=321ueOiBw7s]YouTube - How To Get Flash Video on iPhone/iPod Touch[/ame]

just go an get yourself the new blackberry storm when its available. Then you can play videos with real 3G speed as well

Been there. iPhone is all around superior to any phone out there.

I have iphone 3g and its awesome. At first i couldn't even get a decent signal at a lot of places but now after having several frustrating updates it usually works fine.

No flash definitely sucks. I nearly returned it because of it.

I'm one of those with a broken silence tab switch thing. I also hate the fact that there isn't insurance available. I hope Apple replaces my phone.

I don't want to jailbreak my phone but i prob will when the end of my contract gets near.

My top reasons for having an iphone are:

1. Education never stops with the use of podcasts and audio files

2. Email access

3. quick access to internet for reference when im out and about

4. helps with boredom when while in waiting for doctor, traffic, whatever

Edited by rock

I was abot to start an iphone thread but i made a search before, I was amaze no one wrote about the Iphone finantial apps

suchs as the free istockmanager that if you have resgistered an account with ameritrade you get real time data, level 2 and everything else

There is also the bloomberg app with delay.

In the paid sections you have stockcharts, that is for technical analysis, its not complete but its good enough.

And my favorite the hp12c (buying that one free me of carrying around the real one

I actually went to buy the iphone when I found out about the istockmanager

Yea, I think that ought to do the job. Please let me know how it turns out. The iPhone is the only phone in Japan that uses a universal sim card which allows me to do the same thing for future reference. All the other phones carry their own Japanese version sim card which makes it impossible to implement a universal sim card. Thanks.

As a follow-up ... I was able to get and use a sim card in China (Dalien region), which worked without any problems and without any charges to my US account. It worked just fine.