Welcome to the Traders Laboratory.

Forex Trading Laboratory Discussion forum for Forex traders - all forex pairs

Old 11-15-2007, 10:29 PM   #1

Ignore this user

Playing with the Dynamic Vwaps open research

So here I open this thread where we can open our minds arround this new dynamic vwaps...

Here we can interact freely on the great amount of alternatives this type of indicator brings.. I know we may come up with very cool ideas on how we can use them... and even more, we can optimize some programing ideas into this very interesting algorithm...

For the people that are not following the very first genesis on this ideas, let me make a small intro about this...

Vwaps ... we have a great deal of information with great detail here on TL thanks to Jerry`s great Threads, I understand at this point they are already 11 threads... great info, great teaching ¡¡ thanks Jerry ¡¡

Here are some links to Jerrys threads :

http://www.traderslaboratory.com/for...lume-1962.html
http://www.traderslaboratory.com/for...-the-1990.html

now, vwaps here will be treated with some new variations... the first new concept to be introduced here is Paul Levines Midas aproach...

Basicly he takes vwaps (btw we must check his exact formulation) and he has the ability to choose from what date and time the vwap starts... from there on we will call them : dynamic vwaps as they are dynamic into the flexibility we have of choosing where they start...

I attach once again his material wich was published for the free public... Unfortunately Paul passed away and his method did not pick much popularity...

Well here we are ¡¡ ready to revisit the method and also start creating some fancy NEW IDEAS arround this indicator...

Nothing could be done without the tools... and this week we had the blessing of having programed one very first version of this tools on NT (Ninjatrader) charting platform... the vwap was programed for NT by Josh on Ninjatrader Forum who is a Certified NinjaScript Expert and here on TL is cvax... then Sparrow did program the dynamic version wich has the ability to choose the time where the vwap starts plotting... so YES ¡¡ we got a very nice first tool to start working on...

Apart of being vwaps, they also have sd bands as well...

So here will be the arena to deal with this topic... we will see where we get...

hope somwhere jejeje.... cheers Walter.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Paul Levine Midas Trading Method 1.zip (571.4 KB, 408 views)
File Type: zip Paul Levine Midas Trading Method 2.zip (735.6 KB, 318 views)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to walterw For This Useful Post:
ecredic (03-18-2012), erk53 (08-02-2008), Head2k (09-27-2008), Tams (07-07-2011)
Old 11-15-2007, 10:32 PM   #2

Ignore this user

Re: Playing with the Dynamic Vwaps open research

Here goes the first two versions Sparrow created on the indicator... cheers Walter.
Attached Files
File Type: zip VWAP_v0[1].1.6b.zip (4.1 KB, 289 views)
File Type: zip VWAPMulti_v0[1].9.zip (4.9 KB, 214 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to walterw For This Useful Post:
ecredic (03-18-2012)
Old 11-16-2007, 01:40 AM   #3

Ignore this user

fantastic, look forward to this thread.
I broke my brain trying to understand how to change that original vwap script that was on the forum.
Old 11-16-2007, 06:20 PM   #4

Ignore this user

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterw »
So here I open this thread where we can open our minds arround this new dynamic vwaps...

Here we can interact freely on the great amount of alternatives this type of indicator brings.. I know we may come up with very cool ideas on how we can use them... and even more, we can optimize some programing ideas into this very interesting algorithm...
Walter,
VWAP computations are of course intrinsically dynamic and their value depends only on the starting time. In the scalping thread , I pointed out that you could start a VWAP computation at any time during the day and use it to scalp the market. This usually works well, but as usual you still have to be careful with breakouts.

The other point to be made is the dynamic nature of VWAP and its standard deviations allow you to use them as if they were pivot points from previous days, weeks, months, years. I discussed this in the HUPthread
The advantage of using these instead of the standard pivot values is
a)They are not huristic, but based on the pure statistics of the market price and volume data and b)They update dynamically rather than remain static as more data is added to the computation during the day.

Also thanks for the Paul Levine references. I was not aware of this work and will have to take a closer look at it.
[/quote]

---I'm going to trade til I'm 100, or die trying----
Old 11-17-2007, 10:19 PM   #5

Ignore this user

Hi Jerry, thanks for your post here ¡¡ I consider you the expert on this arena... I really aprecciate all your great threads ¡¡ no doubts you got it to the real practical thing... I got really interested on Levine`s work as I finded some good logic behind it, now he did it on daily bars... question would be if it really would work for daytrading... but now that we got the tools we can find out how this could turn out...

Dynamic S&R levels from statistical analisis YES... thats for sure one big edge... obviously the capacity in reading the posible output Break or Hold its the next great edge...

well we will see what we can do arond Levine`s ideas... cheers Walter.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:40 PM   #6

Ignore this user

Hi guys,

I fooled around with the VWAP, checked if it is designed like the MIDAS and can confirm it. This version is more tuned to the application with the MIDAS system, however I removed the live ticks code, it uses the median price for approximation as described in the documents.
I wrote it on NT 6.5, so no idea if it is backwards compatible.

Have fun
Attached Files
File Type: zip VWAPMod_v09.zip (3.9 KB, 183 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sparrow For This Useful Post:
ecredic (03-18-2012)
Old 11-27-2007, 09:06 PM   #7

Ignore this user

Sparrow,

The code is compatible with NT 6.

To be truly functional, the VWAP code should be implemented similar to line studies. I'm not sure if the cursor coordinates are availble for indicator programming.

Super discussion. Thanks to all.

Pat
Old 11-27-2007, 09:29 PM   #8

Ignore this user

Nice and clean Sparrow...

will see what we can evolve here... its clear that pivot selections would be a start... but so far being above/ below vwap really gives a nice line on the sand... cheers Walter.

Display Modes Help Others By Rating This Thread
Help Others By Rating This Thread: