Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Soultrader

Playing Inside Days

Do any of you pay attention to inside days and have strategies to play them?

I havent take a look at them closely but I was putting some thought into it and decided to take a look. Perhaps we can add our insights to develop a strategy that we can trade off independently. (each trader should have a method that fits them)

To me playing inside days reminds me of Raul's morning breeze strategy. Basically entering in the direction of the breakout from the previous days high or low. What I have noticed is that anytime price breaks out of the previous days range (assuming the previous day was an inside day) the markets tend to go in that direction for a good amount of points. (dont ask me what good amount is.. I have not backtested any of this)

I want to look at some examples of the most recent inside days. Feb. 28 and March 2nd was an inside day.

attachment.php?attachmentid=927&stc=1&d=1173156481

The strategy I have in mind is identical to the Morning Breeze. Play the breakout of the range. The chart below shows the break of the low from the 28th. Price declines for approximately 100pts before reversing.

attachment.php?attachmentid=928&stc=1&d=1173156817

Now lets take a look at March 5th, the day after the inside day on March 2nd. The first arrow shows a fakeout when breaking the low. Would the trade been a loss? Im not sure.. since price did decline for 24pts before reversing. Depending on whether you scale out or move stop.. this trade may have been break even or even profitable. The second arrow shows a valid breakout causing price to decline 60pts.

attachment.php?attachmentid=929&stc=1&d=1173157063

Now I had to go back to January 23rd to find another inside day. Let's take a look.

attachment.php?attachmentid=930&stc=1&d=1173157271

Below is a chart for January 24th, the day after the inside day. The first arrow points to the opening drive up. We have a pullback that violates the previous days high by about 12 ticks then reverses for a nice trend day.

attachment.php?attachmentid=931&stc=1&d=1173157483

Lets take a look at one final example of an inside day on December 26, 2006.

dec26insideday.jpg

The chart below shows price action from Dec. 27th, 2006, day after the inside day. Price gaps up and never looks back. How interesting.

dec27gap.jpg

The following study is based on a small sample size. But I find this extremely interesting. Perhaps it is worth taking a look and devise strategies or be aware of inside days. Inside days do not occur often but when they do perhaps traders can take advantage of this.

All thoughts and insights are welcome.

march2feb28insideday.jpg.e9e0249dcfd8ad4af43aae95194bc46e.jpg

march1stlowbreak.jpg.2676f1a8705e19c5d6682754eba841a3.jpg

march5thinsideday.jpg.91a7ac8ad51cce364a595b7f621e2b56.jpg

jan23rdinsideday.jpg.d591f8f0b672d2e5a35292ea3fdf89f6.jpg

jan24thtrendday.jpg.6b0711ac820e4b9ebe9e126752243a1c.jpg

Very interesting soul. I know that Carter looks at this stuff and he also pays a lot of attention to the overnight highs/lows for breakout strategies. He said in his room that present market conditions are great for breakout plays as the ranges are wide and the momentum strong. They tend not to work in quiet markets such as the first two months of this year. I haven't tested it out for myself.

Yep :) With volatile this good and momentum steady... all we need to do is climb on board and ride it out. Of course this is a dangerous habit to get used to. First 2 months on YM was hell if you ask me... its paradise now compared to what we have had the past few months.

So....something else I'm noticing Soul...which is pretty much the awesomest thing ever...Look at the 30 minute charts. When you see an inside bar and play the breakout of that bar...fan-freakin-tastic!

As I was writing this post...we had one. Broke at 144 and shot up to 163 in a matter of a minute or so. Very quick. Most all give up at least 20 points on a break of 1 tick above the high or low of that inside bar. I haven't looked at the inside motion of the 30 min to see about stop placements yet...but this is very interesting. See the attached chart.

YMInside.thumb.png.1c15a0653ee674a097d63e718effa37e.png

Thats the beauty of technicall analisis... something that works on one speed universe may perfectly work on a smaller speed universe.... Tin : I would like to hear how you develop on does stop placements... with that being aded you would have a quite decent aproach... any delta factor to this idea ? cheers Walter.

Im going to be looking into playing these breaks better with a smaller stop. One idea I have in mind is to take into account of the actual breakout point. Where did it occur? Today's high? Previous day high? VAH? That being said, we can enter on a pullback. If the pullback fails we now have a price rejection and can hold ourselves back from entering the trade.

Yea. Todays was about 4 points from VAH, hit VAH and bounced back down a few...then shot back up. If the pattern is to fail, it seems to fail when it passes through the other extreme of that inside candle. Seeing it pullback from VAH and then climb again is a good sign for that breakout. I agree...something else needs to be in place to get the risk a little more manageable.