Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

nooby

Please Guide

Hi I want to learn Technical Analysis. Wanted some advice on which online training site I should invest in. I have in mind the following:

Trade Smart University (their first set of webinars are free)

ICE (wide choice)

Investools

Investopedia (all free)

Thanks!

Hi I want to learn Technical Analysis. Wanted some advice on which online training site I should invest in. I have in mind the following:

Trade Smart University (their first set of webinars are free)

ICE (wide choice)

Investools

Investopedia (all free)

Thanks!

None of the above.

There is enough info in this site to get you on the right track.

Gabe

Thanks Gabe.

I have been following the various threads and realised that some organised form of learning was necessary.

I will of course continue following the forum regularly.

Suggestion: organise yourself and learn from here.

Get some simple trading books - just so that the jargon is explained.

Cut and paste certain threads into your own notes. Leran, Record, observe, learn more.

Any course you pay for would expect you to do the same.

(you should expect to do the same.)

All of the resources on the web are free for other info.

Just doing a course will not give you knowledge - it certainly will not give you understanding.

Especially one you pay for. In fact you are more likely than not to actually get less out of a course you pay for as your expectations are that because you are paying you dont have to do the work (its the way the brain works) If I go to a restaurant and pay for a meal I certainly dont feel like doing the cooking exactly because I am paying.

Here you have like 20+ people willing to offer help and advice in their own expertise for free.

You are unlikely to find that anywhere else.

Thanks Gabe.

I have been following the various threads and realised that some organised form of learning was necessary.

I will of course continue following the forum regularly.

Organizing yourself is easier with a plan. This plan will probably change a lot over time, but it is a good start. Make a learning plan. Define a reading list. Define a task list. Such as learn about various types of price charts. Learn about various types of tool sets. Learn about various types of approaches..ie - price based, indicator based, auto systems, mechanical systems, rule based discretionary systems. Learn about various methods and read about how successful traders have used them. Keep the focus realistic. That is a large hedge fund manager's method and approach to the market while very interesting, may not do as much for you as some of the methods and approaches you find described in this forum. So, keep the big picture in mind (its very attractive) but focus on steady progress towards hands on trading.

Making a list or chart as to the things you think you want to learn is a good idea. Just go down the list.

Many times traders turn to structured trading education institutions because they are looking to shorten the learning curve, looking for someone to tell them what to do, or just looking for a safe easy way. There is no shortcut. There is no easy way. There is the cheap, slow, methodical way that can lead to real sustained success....but the key word is time. How much time are you willing to devote to this?

Here is an interesting fact. Once you have gone through a learning period and have garnished a fundamental understanding, then start trading sim, and then limited cash. However, as you start to trade, spend less time jumping around the library from shelf to shelf, and more time focusing on developing your own style through careful observation and detailed note taking about what you are doing and the results you are getting.

Simple is best.