Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

The Bear

Recommend me CME contracts leveraged like DD

Can you guys recommend me some CME (Globex) index futures that have similar leverage to the DD Big Dow contract? Anything equal to it on CME?

Bear - nothing really comes to mind... the EC (Euro FX) is a full sized contract, not a mini, at $12.50/tick.

Perhaps something in the ag or commodities (non-financial) would be an option.

Bear - nothing really comes to mind... the EC (Euro FX) is a full sized contract, not a mini, at $12.50/tick.

Perhaps something in the ag or commodities (non-financial) would be an option.

Thanks man. I already trade commodities, but was just curious about index futures. I would have thought there would be a S&P 500 future equivalent to the big dow.

Guest KhurramNaik

The E-mini S&P 500 has enormous volume, as of December it surpassed the CBOT's benchmark 10-Treasury Notes. It's a slightly larger contract with roughly the same margin.

Wow. You trade and you've never heard of ES?

I haven't heard of ES. In fact I haven't traded Emini's before...although is YM considered an E-Mini? I always thought Emini was a marketing word...they are just futures in the end...but smaller contracts right?

I'll check out the contract you guys talk about...but yes, I'm looking for something that is leveraged like the DD (Big Dow). I prefer trading less contracts as opposed to multiples. The big dow is $25.00 per tick.

Two ES contracts would be $25 a tick. What benefits do you think there are to trading one big contract instead of two small ones? I can't see any.

There may not be any.

For me: Less = More

Guest KhurramNaik

The idea is, go where the liquidity is. Looking at today's volume at the CBOT: CBOT - Dow

or February's at the CME:

CME Monthly Volume Reports

You'll see there were 55 million E-mini S&P 500's traded vs 3 million S&P 500s. Would you rather trade 5 contracts in a market with 55 million contracts or 1 contract in a market with 3 million contracts?

Well the real spread is the spread in ticks which is usually 1 for ES but sometimes as high as 10 for SP.

Dudes I've been looking at the CME site and I see an S&P 500 contract (not the e-mini), but it looks like it only trades after-hours. Anyone know if there are any plans to do side by side on GLOBEX during the day?

Guest cooter

If tick size and margin are the issue, try the 30 year US Treasury bond futures at the CBOT.

$31.25 per tick, with margins comparable to the ES at most brokers. You can get as low as $500 per contract margin from many brokers for this one.

If tick size and margin are the issue, try the 30 year US Treasury bond futures at the CBOT.

$31.25 per tick, with margins comparable to the ES at most brokers. You can get as low as $500 per contract margin from many brokers for this one.

Have you watched this during the day. What are the intra-day charts like. erratic as hell?

Guest cooter

Bond market works off of fundamentals. Meaning you need to know when the next news event or economic report is released and stand to the side, unless you are sure which side of the market you should be on in advance.

Suggestion: Look at the trading matrix/DOM at your broker for this contract and you'll see that it is quite liquid at all hours, with the most trading volumes during RTH for the pit (720-1400 ET).