Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

MadMarketScientist

100k Registered Users of TL!

Intrestingly, I got the TL newsletter, a wee while ago. The first "Top posts & Threads" is from a year ago (and it was only 2 pages then). Further down the page this weeks "hot topic" was put to bed 9 months ago. :doh: This does not seem unusual nowadays. As I said last post I don't want to appear negative or a whiner but at best I am :confused: and a little :( I apologise but I feel it needs to be said, I just wonder what the flip is going on.

Intrestingly, I got the TL newsletter, a wee while ago. The first "Top posts & Threads" is from a year ago (and it was only 2 pages then). Further down the page this weeks "hot topic" was put to bed 9 months ago. :doh: This does not seem unusual nowadays. As I said last post I don't want to appear negative or a whiner but at best I am :confused: and a little :( I apologise but I feel it needs to be said, I just wonder what the flip is going on.

All done on purpose ... just trying to promote and resurrect interesting discussions from the past that people were interested in. A common 'complaint' is that it is hard to find good discussions because by the nature of forums, the most recent posted threads bubble to the top and everything else falls off and is hard to find. But to make it less confusing, I'll separate these older threads in the newsletter into its own 'Past Discussions' heading.

thanks!

MMS

Well colour me argumentative but I think it's the reverse. (Im going to get a reputation for being argumentative if I am not careful). It's the detailed, in depth, 'technical' discussions that draw posters out of the woodwork.

I think my original statement was a little misleading, I meant to say 'users new to trading' vs. 'new users' ... people just starting to learn how to trade are afraid of asking a 'dumb' question or just don't have the depth of knowledge yet. But yes I agree with you, more advanced traders love the meat on the TL forums and these are the best threads.

MMS

Yes I understand what you are saying. Some of the more sceptical old hands would say that you are unlikely to learn anything worthwhile from an internet forum anyway. I have to disagree. Of course the problem for someone starting out is separating the wheat from the chaff. For every grain of wheat there is always ten bushels of chaff.

Having said that pretty much all the threads I mentioned could be followed by an early teen. The Thales thread for example actually had trades posted by his 9 year old daughter. That was not my point really they where also new trader/forum user friendly. (Just using that one as an example.)

'Value' is a bit hard to quantify but threads like that clearly had infinite more value than some of the 'platitude' threads. People following Thales carefully from the start would learn exactly how and why he placed trades, how he managed them and a whole lot more. Sure it may not make them traders but at least it shows how a successful trader trades (he was during the course of the thread). It shows his approach in detail, it shows trades as they set up and screen shots of blotters. Similarly Jerry Perls threads where hugely better than stuff I have spent thousands on.

These threads where gentle, they where well constructed and newbie friendly. They started at the beginning and held your hand on the journey. Not only that the guys that started them would tirelessly answer questions and 'support' people taking an interest.

That is what drives traffic to the site. That is what makes lurkers become posters, and that is what makes posters into participants. It is all about quality content and members providing new quality content. Any sort of 'dumbing down' (I know you are not suggesting that) or 'making it simple' I think will have an adverse effect. I know that was not exactly your point but I think you ar asking the wrong question. Attract knowledgeable people that make quality posts and every other bugger will follow and participate.

Incidentally I know you guys are working hard on TL. I appreciate that.

What's happening to the numbers?

Yesterday when I logged in the greeting said: " more than 98,000 active members" and today we have "83,717 active members."

I'll have to try to be more active ... I didn't know the software could tell if I was sitting back staring at the screen ... or making posts!

:rofl:

Looks like that gremlin is back in the system! The popup box again shows about 20,000 fewer members than the landing page, but nowhere near the 100K + members we have.

5aa7107d4f226_InvisibleMen.jpg.6d0e45fd3321cc21adb2dd6cac64f563.jpg

What's happening to the numbers?

Yesterday when I logged in the greeting said: " more than 98,000 active members" and today we have "83,717 active members."

I'll have to try to be more active ... I didn't know the software could tell if I was sitting back staring at the screen ... or making posts!

:rofl:

Looks like that gremlin is back in the system! The popup box again shows about 20,000 fewer members than the landing page, but nowhere near the 100K + members we have.

haha ... yes we've been busy cleaning out active\inactive members, playing with so settings, so the numbers are a little off right now ... but yes please be more active!! :)

thanks

MMS