Welcome to the new Traders Laboratory! Please bear with us as we finish the migration over the next few days. If you find any issues, want to leave feedback, get in touch with us, or offer suggestions please post to the Support forum here.

• Welcome Guests

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at Traders Laboratory such as interacting with members, access to all forums, downloading attachments, and eligibility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE Traders Laboratory account here.

Sign in to follow this  
Tradewinds

Asus P8p67 Motherboard

The boards that these PC assemblers tend to use aren't exactly the top spec models. If you know how to put one together you'll get much more for your money. It can be a headache though so you really do need to be determined.

I sometimes look at the reviews for different computer components. If there are hundreds of reviews, then the rating is almost always 4 out of 5 stars. The only 5 star hardware components are usually ones that are the highest end, and don't have a lot of reviews. So it's a catch 22 situation. Buy a highly rated component that doesn't have a lot of reviews? Buy a component that has a good rating with a lot of reviews? Buy a component that has the fewest bad reviews as a percentage? I was curious as to what the custom built computer builders were using. In the end, I'm not sure what to really use.

I am using Asus Maximus in my computer.

I built it myself with the highest quality components and parts.

The whole computer cost me 50% more than I need to pay if I would settle for just a bit less spec.

I can tell you with 100% certainty that 99.99% of the people could not tell the different between my computer and an El Cheapo from Dell or HP. And that includes me !

I did it for fun.

I like quality.

I could afford it.

It makes me feel good.

Do I need any excuses?

;-)>

if I were shopping for a computer now,

I would probably go to Dell's warehouse depot and pick up a refurb at 50% off.

I don't need a super fast computer to do my type of trading,

and I have been resisting the urge to get more monitors.

as I grow older, I want to be further away from trading and spend more time living.

;-)

Yah, I like what you are saying about stability. I don't need massive number crunching either. With price targets put in ahead of time, and a reason for those price targets, speed really becomes almost immaterial. I keep my focus on a handful of things. It's not good to have information overload.

I bought a CPU that could be overclocked, but then I got thinking about the issues of increasing the voltage, etc, and wondered why anyone using their computer for trading would want to risk burning out their video card during a trading session. That doesn't make any sense to me.

Yah, I like what you are saying about stability. I don't need massive number crunching either. With price targets put in ahead of time, and a reason for those price targets, speed really becomes almost immaterial. I keep my focus on a handful of things. It's not good to have information overload.

I bought a CPU that could be overclocked, but then I got thinking about the issues of increasing the voltage, etc, and wondered why anyone using their computer for trading would want to risk burning out their video card during a trading session. That doesn't make any sense to me.

It depends what you want to do with your PC Tradewinds. If you want it just for trading and/or charting, look for a decent quad core CPU PC but like Tams suggested, save yourself the headache and just find a prebuilt one. I know it's getting easier and easier to do a build but for someone out there who's never done it before, there are a good number of things that could go wrong. I doubt(so long as you do your homework) you'd fry your equipment, but if a component is faulty, you need to know what to look for to diagnose it then RMA it. Tams is clearly an enthusiast and/or gamer looking at the board he has, but you don't have to spend that much. If you are set on your own build, I wouldn't discourage it though. I do it myself and enjoy it thoroughly! But which cpu did you go for? I'd say for modest overclocking and a good warranty(5yrs) you might take a look at the asus sabertooth tuf (p67). Then make sure you get a good sandybridge overclocking guide and read it thoroughly. Actually, do that before you buy anything else!!